Page 1 of 2 1 2
#429308 Thu Jul 11 2013 07:44 PM
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
I received my new issue of PCM today and was very disappointed with co-editor Wayne Hendersons remarks about the Columbus show. Yes, it would have been nice, for some folks, to open the show early on Thursday however, on the other hand, is it fair to those who have planned for this trip and have driven a long distance to find that many things were already sold. Do we really want to go back to a two day show or do we want a one day show. I thought the show was fantastic and heard no one, until Wayne, complain. Maybe I'm wrong. I was in and out of the parking lot with my car MANY times over Thursday and Friday and had no problem finding a parking space, at the hotel, when I returned each time. Also, the parking lot at the closed restaurant next door was fully useable. Keep the show a one day event and keep the same location. Do other people agree or am I wrong?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray I agree completely, I like the fact that didn't allow early buying and selling. It' started at a certain time and everyone in my opinion got the same chance at stuff. The hotel setup I think is great as well, this is also my favorite show.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It was my first year out to the Columbus show so I really have no base opinion of the show or how it should be run past or present. All I can say Is that I drove from Maine arrived on time sold all my stuff and went home happy. There was never A time when I thought where did everything go? Early bird has always got the worm, that will never change. See you all Tuesdays afternoon in Iowa with a fresh load of goodies!

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hotcidr
I received my new issue of PCM today and was very disappointed with co-editor Wayne Hendersons remarks about the Columbus show. Yes, it would have been nice, for some folks, to open the show early on Thursday however, on the other hand, is it fair to those who have planned for this trip and have driven a long distance to find that many things were already sold. Do we really want to go back to a two day show or do we want a one day show. I thought the show was fantastic and heard no one, until Wayne, complain. Maybe I'm wrong. I was in and out of the parking lot with my car MANY times over Thursday and Friday and had no problem finding a parking space, at the hotel, when I returned each time. Also, the parking lot at the closed restaurant next door was fully useable. Keep the show a one day event and keep the same location. Do other people agree or am I wrong?

...I haven't read Wayne's review - but I couldn't agree more with Ray and Shawn's posts...why not just show up when you're supposed to?...why complain because you showed up before you were supposed to?...the show should start when the people running the show say it starts, not when a bunch of early birds decide...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ray, Not sure why he slammed the show BUT definately uncalled for! Why didnt he complain about his buddy set up across the street from the hotel bootlegging in the parking lot? Cops ran him and a couple others off!
99% of the vendors followed the rules and didnt sell til thur afternoon...I honestly had record sales and bought a few signs and a cool NOS 16 1/2 mobilgas special globe smile
Everyone I talked to had a blast and sold or bought very well!!!
I have done Iowa and columbus for years and columbus is now just as much fun as Iowa! Just my opinion....

H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
It's a shame that the co-editor of our monthly magazine can make his personal views seen. Without this forum no one would have the opportunity to respond to his ridiculous statements. It appears from Scott's short article that he really doesn't agree with Wayne. Great show, great location...keep it up

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cant please everyone no matter how you set up a show. Some will complain it is on a work day or complain for a hunderd other reasons. The best the show promoters can do is set it up, let people know what to expect and let it run. Make changes next year if needed. I for one would like to say thanks to the people that put the work into organizing everything. They probably do not get rich doing it

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
It was my first show and I had a GREAT time and I can't wait until next year and it is killing me that I am not going to be at Iowa.
Having said that, I can't find the original advertisement that I had, but if I remember correctly, wasn't this show advertised as June 21 & 22? June 21st was Friday. I showed up Friday at 4:00, granted a little late, but some people were packing to go home already. I didn't know that Friday meant midnight. Or from what I heard, actually about 3am. I was puzzled but still made the best of it.
It seems to me that if there is an auction associated then it would almost have to be at least a 2 day show cuz the auction steals everyone for almost that entire day.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, It was a GREAT show.. Had a blast.. The schedule they use now is ok IMO.I had to leave Friday afternoon but wished I could have stayed longer... Thanks Check the Oil!! Brian

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Most vendors were upset that they couldn’t set up outside earlier Thursday.. Many feel that by setting up late on Thursday it only gives them one good day of outside selling, Friday.. I can see where they WOULD get upset.. Many travel a long distance to get there and sell, some do it for a living, not a hobby.. Should it rain on Friday the outside vendors would have no good days of selling.. With the auction on Saturday there is no other time to set up and sell? If you can’t keep the vendors happy you can’t have a show, period… Calling the police on a few vendors that were capitalizing on being there and not allowed to set up and sell is NOT the way to keep the vendors happy… My two cents

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
It was my first show and I had a GREAT time and I can't wait until next year and it is killing me that I am not going to be at Iowa.
Having said that, I can't find the original advertisement that I had, but if I remember correctly, wasn't this show advertised as June 21 & 22? June 21st was Friday. I showed up Friday at 4:00, granted a little late, but some people were packing to go home already. I didn't know that Friday meant midnight. Or from what I heard, actually about 3am. I was puzzled but still made the best of it.
It seems to me that if there is an auction associated then it would almost have to be at least a 2 day show cuz the auction steals everyone for almost that entire day.

Just my 2 cents.

...FYI - if a show is advertised to be on a certain date, you should be there when they open...even if the show had started at 8am Friday, if you get there at 4PM, you would have missed 7 hours of the show, right?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

...FYI - if a show is advertised to be on a certain date, you should be there when they open...even if the show had started at 8am Friday, if you get there at 4PM, you would have missed 7 hours of the show, right?

If up to me I would have been there Thursday night and with another 2K in my pocket. Just wasn't possible. But yes, your math is correct.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gmstuff
Most vendors were upset that they couldn’t set up outside earlier Thursday.. Many feel that by setting up late on Thursday it only gives them one good day of outside selling, Friday.. I can see where they WOULD get upset.. Many travel a long distance to get there and sell, some do it for a living, not a hobby.. Should it rain on Friday the outside vendors would have no good days of selling.. With the auction on Saturday there is no other time to set up and sell? If you can’t keep the vendors happy you can’t have a show, period… Calling the police on a few vendors that were capitalizing on being there and not allowed to set up and sell is NOT the way to keep the vendors happy… My two cents

...but Keith - you have to draw the line somewhere...if the show was to start on Thursday, those same sellers would want to set up on Wednesday...what of the buyers that show up, expecting the show to start on Thursday? I know a lot - if not most - of the wheeling and dealing is between vendors, but there are some who are just there to buy...and you can't have a show without buyers, either...

...and to the 'early-bird' buyers: buy a space, and join the sellers...you'll sell a few things, and make the show better!

...and setting up in an adjacent lot, because you don't agree with the show rules? I think I would have called the cops, too...unfortunately those who decided to do their own thing, put the promoters in that position...

...remember, the schedule was right there in black and white, posted WEEKS before anyone left to go to the show - it's not like the sellers got there, and the show promoters changed everything at the last minute...

...Keith, you guys do a great job with Mason-Dixon...there's a schedule (and a competing auction) but it looks to me like everyone adheres to the rules...and I've always had a great time!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
another 2K in my pocket

...I hear you...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have never been to Columbus, but have attended Iowa Gas for the last 20 years as a non-vending "buyer". When I first started going, the "buyers" outnumbered the vendors 20 to 1 and you had to fight your way to the vendor spaces to buy something. I could go with a "wish list" of signs and find all of them in varying conditions.

For a number of reasons, primarily the internet, those days are gone and IG seems more of a vendor's swap meet than a venue for people such as myself. I go on the published opening day and find that the event started Tue or even late Monday depending on when vendors started to arrive. Some vendors have such good sales on Tue that they don't even open up on time Wed a.m. IG folks tried to police early sales for a while, but gave up because vendors complained and without vendors, there is no show.

I'll probably continue to show up on opening day like always and wonder what I missed. Dave

Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's kind of a 'damned if you do', 'damned if you don't' from the organizer's perspective.

I have no idea who the sellers "across the street" were, but they were capitalizing on the organizer's efforts and money spent. As a teacher, I fully understand that you have to nip a situation in the bud, because people will 'take a mile' and also play 'follow the leader', right or wrong. If they want to rent space and have a competing show, then do it that, the fair/ethical, way.

As far as Wayne 'bashing' the show-he has an opinion just like everyone else. He also has a forum in which to express that opinion. If you say in the same issue that Scott seems to disagree with Wayne's opinion, then I call that balanced reporting.

A lot of hobbyist shows (not just gas and oil) seem to be largely a forum in which those from far places converge and buy/sell/trade among themselves, and with the electronic age it seems as if sometimes it is merely a place to exchange items from deals made beforehand. That is fine, well, and good, but I think organizers need to make a greater effort to bring in the general public and even target certain groups (through car clubs, etc.)of folks who are potential buyers. This would seemingly result in more buyers, exposure to folks who might embrace and therefore prolong the life of the hobby, and provide sources of leads to who knows how much unknown petroliana.

My .02.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My comments in the editorial may have had a bit too much of a personal touch, admittedly I have some disabilities and distance walking is always a problem, but for the most part my comments were not necessarily my own, but rather comments "collected" from several key vendors. The story expresses my concern for the future of the show if folks are not happy. As for me personally, I did not go to set up, had nothing to sell, just needed to pick some stuff up from Scott and thought Columbus would be a convenient place to do so. I got there about 4:00 PM on Thursday and picked up on the discontent that had apparently happened before I got there. And the limitations were placed on people selling from the hotel rooms in which they were properly registered, not from the field. I had a good time on Thursday, stayed nearby overnight and spent Friday morning at the show, simply enjoying the fellowship of collectors. Two facts, though. I did indeed see Dublin city police ticketing a car parked properly in the parking lot on the side of the hotel opposite the show field, and I was specifically directed to park in a lot that I later noticed signs indicating "private parking - tow away" in the industrial lot up over the berm from the south/west end of the show. If others were selling "off lot", I guess I never even saw that situation.
I attended the first Columbus show in 1989, hosted it in 1990 and 1991, and have been attending off and on ever since. With "rumbling" enough that even I heard about it, someone who spent less than five hours on the field, then I simply had concerns about the future of the show. Having hosted shows, I know it is impossible to keep everyone happy, so maybe the folks who brought up concerns were anomalies. I personally hope them many more successful years.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since 1994, I have arrived at IG twice on a Monday & there was NO ONE set up or vending either time. There were a few that were exchanging items, but they were pre arranged delivery/swaps/sales. No one is allowed in swap area till Tuesday & cannot unload till given OK.

Rain/wind will dampen sales, but anything less than a TERD-NATOR will not stop the buyers from showing up, only the looky-loos.
I drive 1600+ miles to attend IG & always find something to bring home, even in the MEASURABLE HOT HUMIDITY I endure there!

For almost 30 years I sold @ Pomona Swap Meet/Car Show here in SoCal. The Buyers are there Rain or Shine,even when it reached 110°+ & they are Buying not just looking. Some of my best days were in the rain.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I fully understand about disabilities and distance walking is always a problem for some of us Old farts. I bring my own 3 wheel scooter, but at IG in Holiday Inn's main lobby there is a vendor that Rents electric 3-4 wheel scooters. IF it wasn't for the Airports Long term parking [credit card only pay, no attendant] across secondary street, parking would be a Major problem.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, I lived in L.A. for 15 years and seldom missed a Pomona Swap Meet and attended many years before, during summers spent there. I even came back a few times since moving for the L.A. Roadsters' show and sold. You are correct-there are tons of serious buyers for almost anything you can imagine. Unfortunately, we have one show a year in Mississippi that deals with advertising and collectibles(vintage).

I guess next year I should plan to attend MO or IG.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The only way to control what is happening and make everybody happy is to hold a swap meet indoors.

No such thing as an early bird at a indoor meet, and you don't have to worry about the weather.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/ a setup outside for Smoking Vendors/Buyers.
Even indoors, vendors need to be let in early enough to uncover & that will give them some time for vendor trading/swapping!
They can't make EVERY ONE HAPPY, all at the same time [just like here & between 2 people that share the same space].

[Forget it Larry, everyone knows your NOT Married & live w/ a fur ball.]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love Columbus show myself! I am glad they made people not set up early. I told her (one of the promoters) that I think she did good. She said she had more people thank her for enforcing the rules than those that complained.

They put on the show, they do the leg work, it's there show and there rules. Just like oldgas... If you don't like the rules go start your own show or forum.

I will be back next year!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved