Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#429437 Fri Jul 12 2013 09:40 AM
M
MarkB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello all, my name is mark. some of you may remember a man from Wyoming on the board here who went by coopwyo. He had some of his students at the high school he teaches at restoring two 96b Gilbarco gas pumps and a fry visible top gas pump. We also worked on his Erie which has just recently been completed. Attached below is a picture of one of the two twin gilbarcos we completed. Now, for the fun part! I was just recently gifted By coopwyo a 1946 (I believe) Gilbarco 96b for myself! It is complete minus the nozzle and hose. He decided it would make a good starting project since I am enrolled to start auto body classes at the local community college come fall. A lot of the trim pieces (Chrome trim, porcelain, spinner glasses) are in incredible shape compared to the two twin 96bs we did. It has a few small dingers and a few good creases and such. but, should make for an easy project. I hope to learn a lot from this website and its members laugh

Jerry Becking Gilbarco 96B Joseph, Mark, and Cole.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
MarkB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am having issues uploading the pictures of my pump, I will keep trying.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to oldgas, Conoco pump looking good.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas.com! Great looking pump and as learning institutions should great to note that your academic experience has instilled a passion beyond school i.e. gas & oil.

Even greater that you mentor/teacher gifted you the pump to further fuel that passion....sounds like a recipe for a life long addiction!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Great pump, glad to see young men with the interest and keeping the hobby alive.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I remember this is the pump that you all did in class.

There are a number of picture loading tutorials. One of the biggest problems seems to be sizing the picture. If you a taking pic's with a phone, try the pictures on different camera size settings and practice in the practice area at the bottom of the forums list.

I use the program available when you click below on 'switch to full reply screen'. I use a regular camera and shrink the images on my computer. The one thing that got me in the beginning using this method, is that if there is no text, you need to put something in (not the caption area, but in the body of the message) like a *. Other wise it's fairly straight forward.

If you still have problems, post that you are and someone will give you links to other methods, or have you e-mail them the image and they will post it. Keep trying with the photos. Eventually you will get it...

Last edited by Nicole; Fri Jul 12 2013 03:35 PM.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I wanted to mention that the Erie 71 we just finished is not actually mine, but belongs to the town.

I also wanted to say that I'm very excited to see what Mark is able to do with his pump. The auto body program at the community college he's going to is very good, so I'm sure his pump will be first class when it's done.

I sure do appreciate all the help I've received from this site, and I'm sure everyone here will be able to help out the next generation as well. Thanks!

Chris

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
And Mark, I'll be in the night classes working on my old Chevy that should be done by Thanksgiving. After that I hope to start on my square G & B 176. If you need a hand just holler for Mitch. Advice I leave up to the instructors. Mitch

PDR_0106.JPG
My first pump

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I've heard about this square 176. Can anyone send me a good picture of the pump in any condition?

Thanks,

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Jul 13 2013 01:52 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
MarkB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes, that is one of the two twin gilbarcos we did in class. and thanks mitch, Im sure ill have questions. ill try taking pictures with the family digital camera, wont be today though as I have to work today. will try for tomorrow since I have the day off. I do have a question though. The computer out of my pump seems to be locked up, can anyone see any harm in spraying some wd-40 or pb blaster at it?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By all means do it. Place a pan or bucket inside & under the VR OR remove the VR & place in a pan on bench.
Take LOTS OF PICTURES BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING, you'll need a few for re-assembly [or you'll be back here w/ a TON of Questions!].

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Hey Jack. Here's a not so good picture of what I've been told is a G&B 176 square pump. It doesn't have an ID tag but I've been told that's what it is by a few people. 67Chev4X4 has one just like mine. Not sure if his has an ID tag or not. Does yours have an ID tag Mitch?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

M
MarkB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks, will do a little work tomorrow on the computer. I already have the pump stripped down to bare frame. its fairly simple, ive done plenty of work on a old Honda odyssey (the dune buggy not the mini van) and two of these Gilbarco gas pumps. I do have a few reference pictures though.

J
J
Are you guys attending LCCC? I was stationed in Cheyenne back in '85-'89 at FE Warren. Lots of cool old stuff in that part of the country and the great thing is it ages well.

M
MarkB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yup, i'll be at lccc come fall.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been going there two nights a week since 91 or 92. From dog training, computor classes, working on gas pumps or old cars. Like a second home and now that I'm a senior citizen cheap to. Mitch

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: MarkB
Yes, that is one of the two twin gilbarcos we did in class. and thanks mitch, Im sure ill have questions. ill try taking pictures with the family digital camera, wont be today though as I have to work today. will try for tomorrow since I have the day off. I do have a question though. The computer out of my pump seems to be locked up, can anyone see any harm in spraying some wd-40 or pb blaster at it?

Keep the WD-40 off the numbers/face of the wheels or you'll loose the paint/colors, black or white. Unless you plan on new wheels or putting stickers over it. Just a thought.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved