Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you don't want to price it then auction it . If you still don't get what you want then keep it and leave us alone.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Lots of talk on this subject, but nothing seems to change.
Here's my thoughts from awhile back
for sale - best offer

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: bppierce
Lots of talk on this subject, but nothing seems to change.
Here's my thoughts from awhile back
for sale - best offer

bppierce nailed when he said in his previous post - "Bottom line, I don't want to step up and make a really good offer only to have it used as bait for the seller to shop it around." 9 times out of 10 this is what happens when someone is playing the best offer game. If you want to sell it - put a price on it or put it on auction. My 3 cents smile

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
agree with above. I have lost so many deals giving a number then says sorry you were low. I don't appraise anymore.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: indiananationals
why dont people just put a price so others have a idea of what u are asking

Given …

1- It is 2013 & not 1960’s (plenty of stuff available then, right?)
2- Hobby is going strong IMO. Prices for RARE stuff hold regardless of all we hear about copies out there. Just see the recent auctions … My goodness!
3- Not many good stuff show up often.

How would anyone these days put a “value” on a RARE item?

I would like you to read my past experience with value …

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=50752&Number=319812#Post319812

You will notice on page 2, db’s comment. No one ever thought this can would bring $2200

BTW, Dave offered this can to me for $500 & I turned him down! What a fool!

So, in a nut shell, to me, value is c***-shoot!

Hen

Last edited by henlovestoys; Sat Jul 13 2013 09:36 PM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I read your story, and I will still stand by "put a price on it or put it up for auction". If you have an idea about what it's worth, price it accordingly and move it. If you don't, auction it and you might get a pleasant surprise, like in the case of your friends can. What I find frustrating is all the "make offer, best offer, I don't know's" that really do know about what it's worth to them or at least what they would be content with, but won't put a price out there....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
DB.......BINGO!

See You in Iowa.

Max

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
C
C
Just so you know... there are people like me being lead here trying to do research to have a better understanding of what we have and the value. They don't have to be items purchased already to now what they are worth. Could have been discovered sorting the estate after losing a loved one. In my case signs are in a garage and my husband and I need to give up our home to move in with my mom so she can keep her home. There is no room for us so we have to convert the garage into a bedroom. I thought collectors would know the values of collectibles to be able to make an offer for a fair price. I personally wouldn't want to sell something for half the value when my mom could use the money, not for entertainment or something fun but for living expenses. So if "newbies" are stating best offer... be flattered. That might only mean they are putting their trust in the collectors to make a fair offer and would like to see their items go to the person that really wants it. Just to be clear I do not have a for sale ad here. The signs that I have are too big to ship. But I wouldn't have thought it was wrong to list for best offer. I'm sure the collectors want to purchase for the best price they can get and may resell someday also hoping for the best sale price right? Try not to be too entertained by clueless people like me relying on your expertise or putting blind trust in you if you should be interested in something collectible to you, that's all :-)

There is a value section....

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

C
C
Thank you Ryan... I'm not there yet. I don't have any pictures. I was just making a general observation about this topic and why I wouldn't think it was wrong to list something for best offer. Might not change anyone's opinion though.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank You for sharing your perspective and thoughts, Cindy!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
It is my position that all items for sale should have a price. I and other moderators spend a considerable amount of time deleting and moving posts that are relevant to griping and complaining about something for sale without a price.

When I go to sell something, (lets say an old cash register) that I have minimal knowledge of, I do my research and set a price.

Its not a rule to post a price when selling on Oldgas.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am a moderator as well, and will disagree with Ryan. While I would prefer to see set prices and agree people should try to do some research...sometimes you just don't know. That's one reason why I think the Values Section is a valuable service for people. Some folks on here hate it. But if it can help set prices for people to list then that is a good thing. On the other hand if someone says, "make an offer" and I am intersted, I do my research and figure out what I think it is worth and make an offer. If it "insults" them, well, that's the way it goes and I may make another offer or just move on. It's only stuff....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I stay away from For Sale ads that "say; Make an Offer"... A few years ago, I was "burned" by a Member no longer here. We agreed on the price of an item, I even paid him for it and was told that it would be packaged up and mailed in a few days... In the mean while, another Member saw his ad and offered more for the item, than I did...

Next thing I know, the other Member is showing the item in the BOTW and I am *****ed off, trying to get my money back... Since then, if I don't know the Member and haven't done "business" with them. I stay away from the "Make an Offer" ads...

From my standpoint, if I'm shopping for an Appliance (had to buy a 'frige/freeze) over the weekend... I don't walk in wanting to "screw around" guessing for a price... Tell me how much it is and I will determine if it fits within my budget... Same with buying a TV, Stove, Clothing, Car, House, food... etc...

I browse other sites and I see very little of the "Make an Offer", BS... In fact on most sites, I visit... It is a requirement that an item offered, either has a price or has a price with OBO proviso with it.... Or one can hold an auction...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In my opinion, if someone wants an offer, they are usually wanting outrageous offers. If I have an item I want to move, I price it accordingly to what I have in it. So what if you don't get "all" the meat that's left on the bone. Give someone a little break and make "their" day. DON'T BE SO GREEDY. Again, my opinion....

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved