Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4303 Tue Jul 16 2002 02:35 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Anyone with an interest in gas pumps needs to take a look at Jack Sim's new book. This is the most thorough and comprehensive publication ever printed on the old gas pump hobby. The values and information is very accurate. This is not a paid endorsment but words from a satisfied customer. Hats off to Jack and his team for a job well done.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4304 Tue Jul 16 2002 06:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I strongly agree. A very handy guide when purchasing old pumps. Already looking forward to your next endeavor Jack, keep up the good work.

#4305 Wed Jul 17 2002 12:47 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Thanks for the compliments, but just to let you know it wasn't a team, it was myself (my wife is still mad at me for the ignoring her for a year while I put the book together). I have always liked literatue, and I looked at the books that were already in print and thought, with some reasearch they could be good books. Using pictures of fantacity pumps that were never made, or putting ECO in a book that didn't make them, or using pictures of service stations to fill a book, wasn't publishing a book on gas pumps. Besides the time, it took a great deal of money to accumulate all the original literature it took to write the book.
I have researched information in the libraries and historical musueums in Dayton, Lexington, Cincinnatti, Fort Wayne, St. Louis, Tulsa, Hamilton, Ohio and a few that I can't remember. This gave me the information about many of the companies.
I guess I thought about writing a book on gas pumps, but mostly I though about doing a better job than anyone else was doing. Thanks for the compliments, it just makes me feel that the effort was worth while.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#4306 Wed Jul 17 2002 10:03 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree too. Took a while to show up but it was even better than I expected. Lots of great technical information.

Now if I can just find a Tokheim traffic island light like on page 280 I'll be really happy....

#4307 Thu Jul 18 2002 06:39 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'd also like to mention that Jack, without a doubt, has put out a GREAT piece of work which must have been very trying for a wife. Hats off to you both!! Jack, you really do owe her the best cruise money can buy. I hope you sell several million copies. I highly recommend it to anyone contemplating getting into the hobby of collecting and restoring pumps, as well as long-time collectors.
Thank You for making this book a reality!
Rod van Pelt

------------------

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
#4308 Thu Aug 01 2002 08:47 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
just a super book, a must have for the collector new and old. thanks jack for doing a great job.hats off to ya.

------------------

#4309 Sat Aug 03 2002 02:32 AM
S
S
Great book. For a new person in the hobby it comes in handy. Incredible book and worth every dollar. Thanks Jack and Mrs. Jack

------------------
sooce

sooce
#4310 Mon Aug 05 2002 11:57 AM
B
B
It didn't have a Gibert & Barker T107SX pump.
It was made for 6 years for SOHIO, that's a lot of pumps. They were partially pictured on all the 30's Road maps, why not in the book?

#4311 Mon Aug 05 2002 12:59 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
At Iowa Gas there was a great deal of discussion about my book. I mentioned that I was already working on the revision and had identified about 50 more pumps that were not in the book. Most of these were variations of pumps that were in the book. Someone asked if I could estimate how many pumps were made and I said about twice as many as were in the book, or about 3000. It is only an estimate.
I tried to use original literature (ads, pump company sales literature and manuals)for the images used in the book. I did use a few pictures supplied by collectors of pump that I had no literatue on. The problem with these pictures is that thay are usually taken in front of everything the collector owns, or as they say in the graphic field, the picture is "busy," that's why I prefer company literatue.
Someone else suggested that it would have been a good idea if I had put a picture of a restored pump next to the pictures I used. First of all the publisher wouldn't have gone for it, and second, where would I have found 1500 restored versions of the equipment, and how would I have gotten the owners to take the picture for me.
It took twelve years to accumulate the material I used in the book, and had I waited until I had the 3000 before writing the book, it would never have been written.
I did not use pictures from maps as they are usually artists drawing of pumps that were never made, and also they have no information to go with the pump. I even missed 10 pictures in my own files, they will be in the revision.
A pump made for 6 years for one company is not a lot of pumps. I doubt it they made more than 500 per year and that would only be 3000 total. If 5% of these pumps survived the war effort and another 50 years, there would only be 150 left in the country today. And I doubt they made 500 per year.
A number of collectors at Iowa Gas said they would send me pictures of pumps that were not in the book, and a couple of collectors either gave or sold me original literature on about 25 more pumps. Rather than asking why a pump is not in the book, how about sharing any information you have on the pump.
If anyone has some literature they will either sell me or make a copy for me I would appreciate it. While I put the book together, it was actually made possible by a lot of collectors sharing their information.
One more thing, a couple of months ago I put the book on ebay. A guy ordered one, then sent me a email asking if a certain pump he owned was in the book. When I said it probably was but I wasn't sure, the cancelled his bid, stating for a reason "my pump is not in the book."
I feel the reason a person buys the book is not to look at pictures of the pumps he ownes, he can go out to the garage and look at the real thing, but he buys it to identify new pumps he finds and to get a general idea of they value.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#4312 Sat Oct 04 2003 10:42 PM
B
B
T-107 was a Standard Oil design. The pumps were usually in clusters of 3 connected. Ethyl, X-70 and Renown. I think they made quite a few more than 500. They used other companies besides G&B for guts. I need to see a door latch. Like you say, I get books to learn more, but I can't learn about a pump that's not there.

#4313 Sun Oct 05 2003 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack has made an incredible work with this book. One might think that if he managed to collect informtion about more than 1500 pumps, and publish this information, one has to accept the fact that one pump or another didn't make it into the book. Bikesavage, you were given a perfectly reasonable answer to why, and still you have to make a comment? I don't understand some people?
just my 2 cents

BTW, Grrreat Book , Jack!

/Claes

#4314 Sun Oct 05 2003 06:49 AM
Sounds to me like someones trying to get yet another value to this web site to leave for good. Jack, Your book is great, most of us with half a brain understand that it is nearly impossible to find every pump, just like cans and globes, new ones always show up as people dig deeper and deeper. So ignore the people that are trying to start trouble. I own multiple copies of the book, and recommend it to everyone.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#4315 Sun Oct 05 2003 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I normally wouldn't respond to this but I will... I bought Jack's book and it is the best pump book out there! Yes, there might not be every pump in it but if anyone finds a better book please let us here know. Jack did say he is working on a revision so that's great even after all the **** a lot of people has given him. The globe books have to be the best books in the hobby IN MY OPINION but they to do not have all the globes in it but you don't see guys giving Scott a hard time here about it. I just wanted to add my thoughts ... remember not 1 person in the hobby knows it all. That goes for the globe people, sign, pump and etc. some of these guys might be close but don't know it all. Let these guys that are knowledgeable in this area help us and don't beat them up if they don't know it. People new to the hobby... please don't get mad if someone doesn't respond to a post you have placed because there might be only 1 person that could answer your question and they might not be on here everyday or week. I am still a new guy with only 3 years this month under me and I feel like I don't know anything. Go to gas shows and use this website and find other collectors in your area and talk to them. Trust me if you see a restored pump sitting in front of a guys garage I bet he has more in the garage and would love to show them to you and chat. That is how i got started!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#4316 Sun Oct 05 2003 08:24 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Even if every pump was listed in the book, you still would not be able to provide details of internals. The most you could hope for is to see them dolled up with options like Station-lighters and other attachments that are quite often missing and hard to find. Also you would see variations in trim, and in adglass such as 2 or 4 or none.
If there was a book that had all the info in it or a compilation of all the factory literature and parts lists, it would be as big as those auto store parts catalog holders. About 4 or 6 feet long and that would only cover A to F.
The fact that Jack is working on a revision is the natural progression of things, in the first printing you may not have access to some of the rarer pumps for photos, but after the book came out it is easier to get that info and pics.
If you need details on a specific part or pump just post a question on here and you will probably get an answer or pic fairly quickly; and if you dont then it will probably be hard to get that info.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My 3 cents worth, Jack is doing a great job, keep up the good work,...dodogas

#4317 Sun Oct 05 2003 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bikesavage,
The pump ID book isn't what you need. You already know what your pump is. You need an illustrated parts book. Chances are the similar T106 pump that Jack mentioned in an earlier post might use the same door latch.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved