Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#43056 Thu Aug 07 2008 11:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'd like some feedback on this transaction that I was involved in. I'll try to be as non-bias as possible so as not to sway your opinion in either direction.

I'm was introduced to this guy named ********* and I mention that I'm interested in Amoco items. He said that he had the piece for me to look at, a real rarity, an Amoco hat bank. But first he had to show it to another Amoco collector. A couple of days later I get back up with him and ask if he's had a chance to show the bank to the other Amoco collector, he said that he had and that it had been passed on by the other collector. He showed me the bank, we went back and forth and I bought the bank. The seller asked me if I knew what year it was from, looking at the wear I guessed late 40s early 50s. When I got home I did some checking on the internet and found out the bank was in fact a recent item produced as a collectible. So I sent the following email to the seller...

I was doing a little checking on the Amoco Attendant hat bank and this is the first thing I found. Turns out the banks aren't all that old after all. Since we just met and all I feel terrible about asking for a full refund and I ship the bank back to you or even a partial refund and I keep the bank. Let me know if you still want to talk to me.
Thanks, Dan Black

the seller replied....

Hi Dan, Sorry to be so slow in checking email. I am sorry you are unhappy with your purchase; I believe we both thought that a good deal was struck by us both ! I also am sorry that I don't feel a refund is in order, as you do. Suppose you looked at ebay and found this bank for $200. I don't suppose you you would have sent me a hundred dollars, and said "Gee look what I found out", and if the price was $90. on Ebay, I suspect you wouldn't have had a second thought. I guess this is the price of experience. There certainly was no malice, or deception intended. You were happy to find a new Amoco piece for your collection, and should still be happy with that. Best regards, *******

I called the other Amoco collector after this short email exchange with the seller. He said he did look at the bank and said he knew it was not old and told the seller that and that I should of also known better. I have to agree with him on that one. There's not a large sum of money involved here but I'm just wondering if I was out of line in asking for a refund and offering to ship it back or is the seller out of line in not willing to give a refund.

Thanks ahead of time for the constructive criticism

Edit to remove name of seller after discussion with moderators

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 08-07-2008).]

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#43057 Thu Aug 07 2008 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not sure this is an answer but...

we all jump on items when we 'think' its a good deal. Most of the time it is but sometimes we are wrong. If I jump on a good item then find out its worth way more then I paid, I would not go back and pay the seller more. Just in the same way I don't go back to a seller and say I paid to much and ask for a price reduction. We learn and make a better deal next time.

All that to say, did the seller do you wrong if he new it was a repop? Probably but as the other Amoco guy stated you probably should have known the bank was a fake. We all have gotten the 'this is steal' bliders before.

My though, chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#43058 Thu Aug 07 2008 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi I think most of us have found from experience to check out an item before you buy- sounds like you had plenty of time to check- many times we dont have time to check- like at a swap meet- show etc and you just have to take a chance- most of the time you make the right decision- Hopefully you win more times than you loose- Just my 2 cents Don
PS Im not sure your post should include name of seller-if its the Barry I know he has always been a good guy-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#43059 Thu Aug 07 2008 12:29 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
It's a tough way to learn,but the only way. Most collectors have learned with a lot more $$ than that. Maybe it will save you BIG $$ down the road who knows. Your first clue should have been that an Amoco collector passed on it first. It still is buyer beware out there, we are all big boys,, Good luck in the future.. ( I agree with Don, maybe you should have left the guys last name out of the conversation)

[This message has been edited by Wes Hague (edited 08-07-2008).]

Wes.......
#43060 Thu Aug 07 2008 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with all of the above. But, what adds to this is that the seller was told it is a reproduction and he withheld that information. Shame on him.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#43061 Thu Aug 07 2008 12:39 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Actually that reminds me of a recent sale I had on Ebay, I sold a sign to a collector and he was happy with the sign but disgruntled with the shipping charges. It stated in the discription on Ebay that the shipping charges would be $20.00 in North America. I listed the sign with NO Reserve and I lost about $75.00 on the sign, ( no problem, my loss) then when he got it and the shipping charges were only $12.00 to where he was in the USA, he wanted me to refund him $8.00 for shipping. I said sorry, I took the gamble on NO Reserve and lost, you agreed to pay $20.00 for shipping,,,( it was less)he lost, he was ****** ...now he thinks I'm the bad guy., Sometimes you can't please them all...

Just a thought for the day !

Wes.......
#43062 Thu Aug 07 2008 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wes: Unfortunately people equate shipping with postage. They are different. Tell him to mail it back at your expense and then tell him he is welcome to come drive and pick it up. LOL

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#43063 Thu Aug 07 2008 03:01 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
+1 with everyone else. Tough lesson we have ALL had to learn.

#43064 Thu Aug 07 2008 04:45 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I agree with the others on here saying that it is a tough lesson learned..... I have learned a much more expensive lesson than this in the past and didn't go whining to get my $$$ back.
You will be much more careful in the future just as I am.
I also agree that you shouldn't have put the actual name of the person on here if that is the real name.
Where are the moderators ??????

#43065 Thu Aug 07 2008 07:07 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I did send the post to a moderator before posting on oldgas and he did tell me to change all the judgmental wording. For the record, 5 quart, I had no time to check on the item since I didn't know what the exact item was till after the other person got to see it.

With all that said I did learn a lesson and I don't want to seem like I'm whining, I'm just giving others a heads up. From what I'm hearing the seller has a very good reputation. It's very possible the seller thought the other collector was telling him a story to have him come down in price. I'm going to re-read all your replies again, good advice all.

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
#43066 Thu Aug 07 2008 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CircaDesigns..........i think you have every right to ask for a refund, if you asked the right questions before you bought the bank.....

i agree with powerlube's satement "If I jump on a good item then find out its worth way more then I paid, I would not go back and pay the seller more. Just in the same way I don't go back to a seller and say I paid to much and ask for a price reduction."

however any verbal agreement changes all the above.

I have bought a couple different pieces on ebay that were fake & because the sellers lied, scammed in the description, i was able to get a full refund & i believe any verbal agreement is the same.this is JMO

------------------
http://www.roadrelics.com

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 08-07-2008).]

#43067 Fri Aug 08 2008 07:17 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great topic, sorry it is at Circa's expense, but a good topic nontheless.

The whole "authenticity" sword cuts both ways fellas. Simply because the other collector called it's origin or era into question does not, in my opinion, put the onus on the seller to then pass that info along to the next potential buyer. I've personally witnessed reputable dealers/collectors calling authenticity into question in attempts to drive down the price and to put doubt into the minds of potential competing buyers....then after making the purchase, "discovering" that it is in fact a rare original. I've seen guys at auctions standing in a circle around a sign all pontificating about what may or may not be right or wrong with it, allowing to anyone that would listen that it might be fake or repaired. Then the same guys are hiding in the corners bidding or absenteeing on the phone on that very same item. What I'm saying is, educate YOURSELF go with your gut, and you won't get burned very often.

P.S. Always try and qualify long-distance deals with "if it is EXACTLY as you are describing, I have no problem taking it at that price". I've found that if you say that, a lot times, guys will begin to give clues as to the fact that they aren't sure how old something is. As roadrelics said, try and get as solid as a verbal contract as you can, especially as the price gets higher.

#43068 Fri Aug 08 2008 07:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Preying on the bliss of ignorance - and Dan, I don't think that it should be a hard lesson learned..... YOU SHOULD GET YOUR MONEY BACK !!! The guy was not being honest. He shopped a fake around and he knew it. I think his name should be left on here big and bright. Why don't we all just take a number on here, and do away with our user names??? I'll be #666. Dave Hathaway

#43069 Sat Aug 09 2008 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cannot render judgements about disputes like this without hearing both sides of the story.

#43070 Sat Aug 09 2008 06:33 AM
This is a great topic. I am sure this has happened to many us at some time or another. It is really nice to read well thought out posts, without lots of emotion.

Good point Ohio Oil, there are always two sides of a story.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved