Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43711 Wed May 30 2001 01:25 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I've been collecting pumps and petroliana for over 10 years, but this one has me a bit confused. It is a Wayne 70, but only stands about 4 feet high.

(larger photo at http://www.winktimber.com/photos/way70d_2.jpg )

On top of the pump is a meter that reads gallons only. It came from a county highway garage. I am told it is called a "Dispenser" because it does not include $$, but according to one of the books I read, a dispenser does not have the pump in the machinery, rather the pump is in the underground tank.

(larger photo at http://www.winktimber.com/photos/way70d_label.jpg .)

The tag on the side reads:
  • Model 70
  • Series 21-15
  • Ser. No. 131874

The tag on the Veeder-Root "Visible Register" box atop the pump reads:
  • Form No. A 151300
  • Ser. No. 603207

Any help on rarity or value would be appreciated. My primary interest is in Tokheim pumps so might consider a trade.

Tim Winker
tim@winker.net

[This message has been edited by Wink Timber (edited 05-31-2001).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#43712 Wed May 30 2001 01:57 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This is proof of what I have said before, you can't trust the model numbers given to gas pumps by their manufacturers.
Actually Wayne used the 70 three times. The first one is the one we always think of when someone says he has a Wayne 70. And when you think about it, how many versions of the 70 were there?
The 70 you have was introduced in the late 1950s as the Model 70 Series 2I, Industrial Dispensing Pump. There was also a Model 70 2F, Farm Dispensing Pump. It had a clock style meter on the front of the pump.
Wayne again used the 70 around 1970. The round motor oil cabinet that went with the round pump that was associated with Mobil Oil Company stations. The number was Model MD-70, Display Unit.
While more and more interest is being shown in farm and industrial pumps, they still have a long way to go to achieve the popularity of service stations pumps. These pumps do not sell for much money as there are very few collectors who are interested in them.
Incidentally, dispenser is too much a generic term to be limited to something that doesn't have a pump. Gas dispensers that didn't have pumps were always referred to as being "a remote."

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#43713 Thu May 31 2001 09:34 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the help, Jack. I had guessed that it was manufactured in the late '50s by a tag I found inside, and by the paint under the porcelain "LEADED" sign.

It was purchased at a county auction, where most of the bidders were more interested in office equipment and retired police cruisers, so there wasn't much bidding on the gas pumps.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Wink Timber (edited 05-31-2001).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved