Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43772 Wed Dec 03 2003 04:36 PM
D
OP Offline
D
hopefully someone can answer these.
i restored a tolkheim 39 tall i used original porcelain faceplates ,but i have also seen aluminum faceplates.
was one an option over the other? or did certain years have one over the other?
question 2 i have noticed certain pumps such as dayton 600 refered to as a cut 600. what does the CUT mean?
question 3 i have seen id tags on some visable pumps that say ' keep stuffing boxes tight' what is the stuffing box?
any thoughts would be appreciated
ps great site

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#43773 Wed Dec 03 2003 04:59 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The tall 39 came out just about the time most companies were switching over from aluminum to porcelain faces.
One more thing, never assume a pump you find has all the original parts on it. I have seen Wayne pumps with Tokheim faces, Gilbarco pumps with a Tokheim nozzle on it, etc. A gas pump was not something that you could wait 2-3 weeks to be repaired, if the pump was down you were out of the gas business, therefore just about anything was used to keep the pump in operation.
Cut, Figure, Model, Model Number all mean the same, that is why I didn't use any of them in my book, it just leads to confusion. I believe Cut is an old designers term for the drawing of the thing to be built.
The visible experts out there will have to answer the stuffing box question. I thing I know the answer but don't want to look like a dunce if it is wrong.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#43774 Wed Dec 03 2003 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The stuffing box refers to the gland nut on the pump shaft that holds the packing in to keep the shaft from leaking the liquid that you are pumping.
Dick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved