Print Thread
#43800 Mon Dec 19 2005 11:12 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey guys,
Looking for a little info on a Standard Filling Station sign. It is the 9 1/2'x 15" porcelain. There are five sets of 2 vertical holes that looks to me like they came from the factory. I saw another sign like this one and it looks to have the same holes. My question is this: Were there additional signs that bolted to these? On this particular sign, there is a painted tin sign bolted in the three sets of holes in the middle that looks to read "Products". But that still leaves one set of 2 holes on either side of the tin sign for something else. Does all that make sense?

One other question. The info in the bottom right corner is "ADV 583 (A.D. 2088). Does anyone know what all that means?

I know you Standard guys will know.
Thanks in advance for the info.
Chevelle SS

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chevelle SS,
If I understand you correctly, I would say the holes in your sign are simply to secure it to a building or wood frame. The addition of signs using the same holes I believe would have been added by the owner and not the factory. The info in the right corner is from the sign manufacturer and corresponding art work.

If I’m wrong someone here will let us know.

Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks Thunder. That's a great piece. I learn something new everyday on this site.
Brent

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Kim,
The reason I'm thinkin' its for bolt-on additions is becasue the letters of the sign are not in the middle of the field, they are closer to the top than the bottom. Looks like they were thinking ahead for additional signs to add? The holes in the sign are porcelain coated inside. I'll try to post pics later.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved