Next Thread
Print Thread
#44358 Wed Dec 21 2005 03:54 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Looking for any information on Spur Gas Company, Was it a regional company? Are they still in business? Where? If anyone has any pictures from the Archives I would apreciate if you could post, especially if you have a gas station attendant picture. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#44359 Wed Dec 21 2005 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
APPARENTLY SPUR HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE LATE 50'S WHEN IT ENTERED THE RETAIL MARKET.

ACCORDING TO THE "GUIDE TO GASOLINE LOGOS" BOOK BY W. HENDERSON AND S. BENJAMIN PRINTED IN 1997, THE SPUR BRAND HAD OVER 500 STATIONS IN 14 STATES. WHETHER THIS INFORMATION IS STILL TRUE OR NOT IS UNKNOWN BY ME. MAYBE TRY DOING A GOOGLE SEARCH. I ALWAYS LIKED THEIR 60'S OVAL LOGO.

IF SO INTRIGUED BY THIS COMPANY WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN DOING A "COMPANY OF THE MONTH" ON SPUR? MOST ALL SPUR STATIONS WERE RS/ROYALS BACK IN THE 50'S.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
YOUR C.O.T.M. HOST!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#44360 Wed Dec 21 2005 07:16 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
This site shows two signs and an old ad, but the photos are dated in 2002. HTH...
http://www.gassigns.org/spur.htm

You might also want to look here too. I dont know if any Spur Stations are in here, but its a neat place to visit every now & then...
http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/gas.asp

One last stop... http://www.agilitynut.com/index.html

Check out the "Roadside" links...

These last two sites are kinda cool places to visit on occasion. They both have numerous pics. There's a LOT of ideas, and details on all three of these sites. HTH...

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 12-21-2005).]

#44361 Wed Dec 21 2005 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
According to what I have read, Spur was started in the 1930's in Nashville, Tn by a guy named John Mason Haugland. I still see there stations here and there, so I know the company still exist in one form or another. I was fortunate enough to purchase a early Spur globe from a fellow old-gasser about 2 months ago. The early globes had the old railroad tank car on them and are very rare. Spur was one of the first "trackside" disconters and built all their early stations beside railroad tracks and sold straight off the railroad tankers.

#44362 Thu Dec 22 2005 03:49 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Thanks guys, I apreciate your information

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved