Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
There was an interesting post on this site that I read a couple of days ago talking about how there has been a slight trend to sell and collect globes that contain only one lens. The thought behind this, obviously, is that only one side of the globe is displayed. I'm not trying to come across with a "holier than thou" attitude but here are my thoughts on this: If one sided globes become acceptable does that mean that I should start restoring only one side of a gas pump due to the fact that only one side is seen? I equate these two scenarios as the same. Don't get me wrong, I realize that due to the increasing prices (value, which is good for our hobby) continue to climb at five times the inflation rate which means many people must limit the sheer numbers of globes they can afford. I do however think that "cutting a globe in half", for lack of a better phrase, makes our hobby a little less pure. PLEASE forgive me if I haved offended anyone with my view. Sincerely, gas pump freak

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey Freaky, your not offending anyone. the trend started out here in California. Because of the rarity of original west coast globes .a guy by the name of Ken Grant had a large collection and didn't really want to sell and a guy with a lot of moola said ,"Hey you can only see one side , sell me the other ". and that's that. if you have some rare globes it doen't hurt to sell half. and if you have your globe on a nice pump aginst the wall and can only see one side. why not. I have three rare Seaside globes that are one sided but there still worth half the value of a hole one. or more.
Now theres a new trend going around thanks to me about doing each side of a pump different and putting it on a heavy duty lazy susan , and its catching on. pump builders can make more money from their pumps that way also. Hancock on one side Phillips on the other, that way you have one pump and display two companys and use the space of one pump. how about that. ??/ have fun . don't worry . love Dwaine . a little wine don't hurt . eh. did i say all that. ???

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
It wouldnt be the same as restoring one side of the pump, it would be the same as selling the door and trim off one side of your pump and pushing it against the wall.

For the record, i have never split a globe. I have a mixed pair of B-A lenses, was going to assemble as a globe but I dont want to end up a social outcast for doing that. They started out as 2 pairs of different lenses before I got them..if you want to hear that story I will tell it.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> >>Splitting firewood not globes in the frozen north..dodogas

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I suppose the lesser evil would be to put an original lens on the displayed side and a repro on the back (unseen) side, just shove that sucker as close to the wall as you can!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
ha ha ha ha , you can do that too, I'll still like you . just have fun. wheres my wine. Helga? you have my wine. everyone have a nice, safe, family day tommarrow. Jim give that Red headed baby a big kiss for me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No offense taken.
Actually our discussion was about "cutting a globe in half" not neccessarily collecting single lens globes, theres a difference. I'm a globe collector. I prefer complete globes, but I buy alot of single lens globes, mostly for budget reasons. I recently added an Illinois Oil Co. That Good Torpedo Gasoline single lens globe to my collection. If it had been a complete globe I wouldn't have been able to afford it. Like Rex says, a collector will continue to look for another lens to complete a globe. I was able to complete two single lens globes this year. One was a KYSO, the other a PHILLIPS 77. Both globes are extremely scarce, so it was very satisfying to complete them. I know collectors that won't buy a single lens globe and thats OK. If I see a single lens globe I "need" I'll buy it and enjoy it, and hopefully complete it.
I have a question for the guys that don't think single lens globes are collectible. If you think complete globes are the only ones that are collectible, what should be done with the thousands of existing single lens globes?

As for restoring one side of a pump. I doubt anyone would do that, but what about the guys that do each side of a pump differently? Many collectors have limited space and/or money. Doing a pump differently on each side is great for them.

I disagree that prices are climbing at a rate five times that of inflation (at least in the past 2 1/2 years). That may be true on the very high end stuff, but prices on the mid-range items are fairly flat. Low end or entry level prices are way down. A perfect example is the Sinclair H-C globe that sold on ebay for $391 today. A few years ago that globe was selling in the $650-800 range.
Prices are up substantually from when I started collecting 8 1/2 years ago. The overall increase in prices has brought alot of stuff into the hobby that might otherwise have been scrapped. Thats good. The bad part is the increased prices have driven some people out of the hobby. The long term increase in prices is great for the guys that were in the "hobby" as an investment. Not so good for us guys trying to build a collection.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
just for the record, a friend of Dwaines had a gilmore globe like the one at the auction. He tried to split it and couldn't sell the individual lenses. He ended up keeping the globe together and selling it for twice the single lense price. A single lense globe IS like having a pump with a door and face missing on one side or only one side of a double sign, its worth less. Like Bob says, you are paying less than full value because you are taking the chance that you will be able to complete it someday. I agree with gpf.

larry ivy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My Wife Ginni Married a half wit in hopes I will be completed someday. She Loves me none the less, but I suspect even more when I am complete...LOL
--------------------------------------------
hubba, i display OK until I am completed

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is what was started... it's not about buying single lenses because like Bob said he will buy a single but will always be looking for the match. It's about guys taking complete globes off the shelf and taking out a lens and selling it. Most collectors I know don't have a problem with single lens globes but will keep looking for the match but this isn't the people we are talking about. I don't care what anyone does with there collections but i just can't figure out what would make a person want to sell off a lens out of there collection! I don't look down on guys that sell single lenses by no means because they do get broke and you just end up with one lens.
Me... I don't buy single lens globes and don't plan on it. I know Bob likes that I don't buy singles because he comes out ahead. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
John. I'll sell you a single Seaside 1936 ethyl for 2.000.00 or you Bob, or you .

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
The hole thing is , if you have a chance to buy something rare, even if it has only one lens, you won't turn it down if its in your budget. I saw Larry and his beautiful Time sign at Fred's. tell five guys that asked how much and Larry said not for sell. I was so proud of him, stand up tuff guy. then a guy came by and said I'll give you 5.000 for that sign right now, Larry almost spit out his teeth. the guy said see everythings for sell if the price is right. so if you globe collectors are showing your collection and you have only paid 300.00 for a globe and someone offers you 500.00 for one lens your not going to sell it . right??? you only show one side, think now. ha ha ha ha .
eat a lot of turkey and think.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Interesting topic,I enjoy it when someone like GPF speaks his mind it shows his-our passon for our hobby.
A globe collector told me he was out bid at a auction (high dollar globe)by two people who planed to split the globe up.He said he new one lens was going to be sold & wasn't sure about the other.He wasn't happy with the out come.I don't feel he would have been up-set if it was another collector.
Rare globes should NOT be split up,they are works of art that should remain complete.Rex

------------------

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Morning boys, Rex I couldn't agree more. Here's one for you. After, I just moved up to the hills, settleing my law-suit. running low on money , the wife working her butt off, my collection wasn't very large mostly the Seaside. Butch Greer stopped by. I had the globes for years not knowing the value, I had only paid 250.00 for two of them and 175.00 for two, I was offered 2.500.00 for one lens. I didn't sell, but I thought about it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has nothing to do with the guys buying the single lenses. It all about the people spliting and selling rare high dollar globes. Dwaine is a example... he just said someone came to him wanting a single lens but he said no.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I rarely get involved in most of these discussions but thought I would throw in my two cents. It seems to me some of you contradict yourselves. It's ok for someone to buy a single lens out of financial neccessity but not ok to split a globe and sell of a single lens out of financial neccessity? There is no difference. It's like saying the drug dealer is wrong for selling the dope and the buyer is ok. There are numerous reasons why someone out of neccessity would split up a globe. Maybe he needs the money badly for a medical emergency yet still wants to retain one lens as a remembrance. As prices continue to escalate in our hobby I suspect this will become more of a common practice. I have numerous pumps and signs, and am contemplating buying my first original globe this week. Guess what, it is a single lens globe. Someone must have sold of the other one at some point. I don't care, as others have said you can only display one side at a time anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved