Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Very well put. Dennis Griffin tried to sell the one lens, in order to pay for the hole globe. he paid 10.500.00 for the original Gilmore Blue green. in April. split the globe and tried to sell half for 8.000.00 but ended up selling the hole globe to a guy from Washington for 14.000.00, thats the part I don't like. but to each his own. have fun and collect what you want. eat well my friends.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ohio Oil,
The discussion was about splitting a globe for profit, not splitting one out of financial need. Everyone I know would sell off their more common globes to raise money in an emergency before they would even consider splitting a rare globe.

Although I have alot of single lens globes, none have come from a globe that was split for profit. Whenever I buy a single lens globe, I ask the seller if he has the other lens.

There are thousands of single lens globes out there. Most are singles due to breakage, not greed.

I have a lens that is the only example known. I'll probably never find another lens to complete the globe. Chances are the other lens was broken in the 1920's. The lens I have is cracked. Is that lens collectible? You bet! I had to outbid one of the biggest collectors in the hobby to get it. Another well know collector wants to buy it.

Collecting single lens globes isn't the same as splitting a complete globe at all. You ask any true collector (a person in the hobby to enjoy and preserve history, not a dealer in the hobby for profit) that buys a single lens globe if they would complete the globe if they had the oppertunity and they will say yes. Many of the guys that buy the rare globes that are being split would have bought the complete globe if it had been offered for sale.

Collecting singles and splitting globes are two entirely different issues.

Good luck on your upcoming globe purchase. Be sure to post a picture of it in showcase and stories.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 11-27-2003).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
This brought up another thought for me. I have quite a few rare globes. One is a single,cracked, one known, others have one cracked back lenses. how much do you guys think that the value of the globe retains by having a cracked back lens vs none at all? This would only apply to rare globes. I also have a very rare globe with 2 cracked lenses that I paid very well for and dont regret for a minute as I may never find another.........Thooughts?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Les,
On common globes a cracked lens hurts value alot. So much that many cracked lenses have little value.
Rare and desireable globes are a different story. If its just a crack, but the lens is complete I'd estimate a damaged lens to be worth 25-60% of what an undamaged lens would bring. Desireability of the lens means alot when buying damaged pieces. How do you determine value on the only known example of a globe from a company you collect? Often the satisfaction of owning a piece like that outweighs normal reasoning when determining what a collector would pay.

Technology exists to repair broken lenses. Its fairly expensive.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great topic! If someone wants to split a globe or collect singles, I don't have a problem with it. I've been fortunate to buy some singles for a good price & later completed the globe. I like metal body globes & will buy singles or complete. As has been stated, you can only see one side at a time. As Dwaine says, HTH!!!!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I don't know what is so hard to understand about the spliting of RARE HARD TO FIND GLOBES. If you are like me and believe that hard to find globes are works of art and belong in Museums and collections, you would not split up a globe for profit. A true collector would not split up a globe for profit to buy a bigger boat.
Of course, I would sell anything in my collection if I needed money to help my family.
If someone were to split up a globe that there were only a few known to exist for profit, is not helping the hobby. They are taking advantage of two collectors that are working to complete a globe. Now, you might say "Wow, I helped two collectors." but in the long scheme of things and I don't mean a few years, you potentially could have split up the only known example of a Rare globe.
Of course this is just my opinion. I hope that everyone had a happy Thanksgiving and remembered the ones who made our freedom possible. HTH. Rex

------------------

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Even though I probably don't know as much as most of you and probably have a smaller collection than some, I don't exactly agree here. Are rare globes works of art? Yes. Do they only belong to museums and fellows with huge collections? No.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think you're reading more into what was said than is actually there. Nobody said anything about huge collections.

It's strictly about splitting a complete globe for profit, rather than preserving it. That's an either/or question. There's no middle ground.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I don't think it's as much splitting a globe for profit as it is splitting a globe so a collector can enjoy another globe. I'll give a personal example I first bought a Dixie Vim Ethyl and then a Ranger Gasoline on a clear ripple. Ok each globe is about a $5000 globe, so that's $10,000 on two globes. Well I don't know about all of you, but I can't afford that!!! So I sold 1 lense of each one for $2500. That way I could keep 2 different lenses. So for me it comes down to this question. Would I rather have the same amount of money in one complete globe or the same amount of money in 2 seperate globes even though they aren't complete? Well to me that's an easy decision I would rather have the 2 different lenses. And in a lot of cases it has nothing to do with greed, just how do you want to spend your money.

And to compare it to having one side of a sign or only restoring one side of a pump is just wrong. Keep in mind that when you have only one lense the price does not drop at all.

I used to think it was stupid to split globes, but then that was back when globes were $500!!! I personally wouldn't split a lower end globe, but when you start talking about $5000 plus globes that's a lot of money.

Greed is people selling restored or repo items and not telling people. Or better yet greed is people making items not dating them and saying they are just for me and a few friends of mine.....THAT IS GREED, splitting a globe to enjoy another globe has nothing to do with greed.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Put me down as a nonsplitter. Ron'''''

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I don't think I've ever seen so many of us get so passionate about a subject on the site before! It's great!! Everyone has an opinion or view. I have a few globes (20+)and haven't sold or split one yet. If someone else wants to split globes, not a problem. I've had some healthy offers but haven't "crumbled" yet!! The globe would be gone, the $$$ would be gone & it'd be a sad story. Besides, I couldn't afford to replace some of the globes either!! Just my thoughts on it.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Most of my opinions have alresdy been stated by others, so put me down as a non splitter also.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Your right Tom. We are all right. but there are guys that will split their globes. just because their not true collectors but showmen.
This is just me guys my thoughts. A collector: a guy that goes to all the street fairs, swap meets, gas bashes, estate sales, buys from ebay as he can afford too. researches to find items from old distributors but buys what he likes. has been collecting for years and will not sale anything to a dealer thats going to turn it to make a proffit.
Then you have the showman: and buddy's we have them. that can afford to buy large collections just to say I have that. but he didn't go looking for it, or clean and paint it, or get up ay dawn to wait in line to git into a swap meet. or gas bash. but set back and buy a giant collection and not know anything about an item. well split a globe collection that he just bought to get some of the money back he paid. just to say look at what I have. and its all for sale at the right price. thats why I have all my stuff on disc's so if and when I kick off, the grand daughter, over seen by Ted , can have a large auction if she don't want the stuff. but right now, lets have some fun, do what we can for others. and Help the Hobby.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The following I am sure is a familiar scenario to some collectors. You have a killer globe or globes. Some of your dear friends have made it clear that if you ever sell they want a chance at it.
Now the time has come you wish to sell or you have passed on. Each lense gets sold at what its worth to 2 of your respected friends or you sell the whole globe to someone you dont even know, to maybe never be seen again. Think of how they would feel when you sell it to someone you never seen before instead of offering it to them.

Personally i like to sell my stuff to good homes where I can see the stuff now and then, and see how happy and proud they are to finally have that piece. Somewhere it is truly appreciated...not just another jpg on an inventory disc..............dodogas

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Hey sum great posts and opinions.Hope there are a lot more.
DODO - I am glad you have friends besides me.
DB - You no what they say "the worst thing about dieing is not being able to go to your own auction"****I told my wife not to charge a 10% BP at mine,but I bet she will.I wonder if they have repops in heaven? LOL Rex

------------------

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved