Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#44494 Mon Nov 10 2008 10:28 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I found this can in an antique shop over the weekend for a 10 spot. It is like new, and was never topped. The bottom has the Canco logo. I was wondering if the can is worth much and if I should have topped, or should I just leave it as is? Mobil is my thing, but I won't pass up such a nice can at a good price! Sorry for the fuzzy pic, it's all my camera can do!
Thanks for the help all.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#44495 Mon Nov 10 2008 05:20 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Darin, I'm sure there are many schools of thought on this one. This is kind of dicey ground here. The can was never actually filled and lidded and this is where the problem can start. Original OIL FILLED cans are what collectors want. A perfect example would be the cans you see sell on Ebay that were never intended to be filled. These were display pieces for store fronts or displays. They are original to the time, just never went the route of being filled and sealed. These cans will always realize much less money than the "real deal" type of can. Your can was neither filled or lidded and we can never know which way it was intended to be used. Lidding it sure wouldn't hurt it, although the cat is out of the bag so to speak on it's origins thanks to this thread. It makes a very nice example to have and $10 I'm sure most people would say was fair. The same can with oil originally would sell for around $40-$75. I guess moral ground comes in to play here. It is conceiveably possible to lid it and pass it off as original but that's a subject I've learned to stay away from. Personally I think you did fine on price and a lid would help it diplay well. I hope this helps a little and didn't confuse more than anything else!.............Dave

........Dave
#44496 Mon Nov 10 2008 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you prefer full, I can fill before sealing.
I prefer empty & sealed myself.

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, I re-lid
4oz.[2 1/8"dia.], 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. I have 1qt S.A.E. 20, S.A.E. 40W, Plain or bank lids. No S.A.E.'s on 1gal. & 5qt.

#44497 Tue Nov 11 2008 03:43 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
My opinion...have it sealed empty.

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
#44498 Tue Nov 11 2008 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...does it really need a lid? Does it make that much difference if the can is lidded or not?

...just asking, as it's never occurred to me to relid a can, unless it was almost crushed or had been flattened out...and DB: the before-and-after photos are proof you do great work, to be sure...

...it's just never bothered me - I'm looking at the graphics on the sides of the can...

...as to value: it depends on the can...if someone found a case or two of Gulfpride Diesel quarts (with the buses around the top of the can) that had never been filled or lidded (or even ones that had the lids cut out) does anyone think they wouldn't get snapped up in no time, just because they weren't ever filled or lidded? It seems to me that if there are a zillion unfilled cans of a particular brand, a lidded one wouldn't be that much more valuable just because it had a lid...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#44499 Tue Nov 11 2008 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks.
The green FALCON cans are a good example of a gazillion cans that were found & never filled or sealed. You hardly ever see one now w/o a lid. I passed many chances to buy them @ $15-20 per case.

Some say a can w/o a lid has a story, sure wish they could talk !

#44500 Wed Nov 12 2008 09:17 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Dave had brought up some points that I guess as a relatively new old gas collector I was unaware of. I have been a "collector" of many things since I was 10 years old. (now 32 years old) One of the most important things stressed in 99% of collectables is CONDITION. My assumption when I saw the can is it is NICE, old, and great example for anyone's collection. I would also guess that the surviving number of cans whether they were a "display" can, or an actual service station used can in this condition are probably few and far between. Heck, if I could find every Mobil can that I have in this condition, I would be one happy collector! I guess my main reason for posting the question was I had no idea if the can was worth $5, or if it might be a rarer can worth $100's? I also guess that the lid issue really isn't a big deal to me, but if it WERE a valuable can, I would have considered having it re-lidded. I just recently bought from 5quart Don a early Gargoyle Mobiloil Arctic guart that has neither a top or bottom. BUT, the lithography was in beautiful condition, so to me was still worth what I paid for it. I will have DB relid this one, maybe after I get a couple others to be done. Thanks for all the replies. It seems to me that like all things, this seems to be a matter of personal preference. To me, condition wins out over many other variables. Have a good day all,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
#44501 Sat Nov 15 2008 10:21 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
A question about the cans that are refilled with oil and then new tops put on them.
Are they marked in any way that they have been refilled and relidded?
It's great for the person who has it done for himself, but how about if the cans change hands a few times and further down the road they are sold as originals?

#44502 Sun Nov 16 2008 03:04 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Let me correct one thing from my earlier post. Most collectors are insterested in cans that either contained or still do contain oil. Myself--full is king.
I have no issue with relids as long as it is done well and right to the cans age. I have 2 relids that I have purchased.
If you're a purest, this will be a tough one to always sort out. Learning and looking for clues to a relid are your best defense i.e. straightened cans(flattened out wrinkles), a lid that was pressed over the rim of a cut out lid, unmatching top and bottom lids, plain lids with no weights marked at all, irregular crimping around bottom edge of lid and even lack of company logos or embossing as some companies were very partial to marking top lids with their names like Gulf, Sinclair and Shell. I bought one recently off Ebay that had a right lid with a weight of 40 on it only to realize that inside the graphics on the front of the can, the manufacturer had printed in the paint 10w-30! I felt pretty stupid after noticing that flaw but I took solice in the fact the relidder never took it into account and the original owner never caught it either. These are not "law's" but rather markers to look for. In the end, are you comfortable with it or not.
I've learned a lot from learning to "read" lids.........Dave

........Dave
#44503 Sun Nov 16 2008 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just bought a re-filled & lidded can because of Condition & Graphics, Wrong lid [if I find a donor lid, I will replace it].

A can with the wrong lid will display better than NO lid & keep dust & moisture out, & to help preserve for future generation to enjoy.

I don't restore cans. I remove dents to the best of my ability & re-lid w/ Best match of lids I have.

#44504 Tue Nov 18 2008 02:29 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
My question still..... are the cans that are refilled and relidded marked so that someone a few years from now doesn't buy them as originals?

#44505 Tue Nov 18 2008 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't understand how a can being re-lidded and re-filled makes it not an original? The can is still old, right? Personally, I don't care what the age of the oil inside is (since I drain them anyway) and you can usually tell by looking if it's a re-lid. Can someone help me out here? Why is a re-lidded, re-filled can not original? Thanks.
Tara

#44506 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Tara from IL,

IMO, any old can is an original.

Its really all about personal preferance of the buyer/seller that dictates value.

I think most everyone would agree that an original can with the original lids and original oil inside are the most valuable, most sought after. Then, drained cans that have both original lids intact... then cans with one lid... cans without lids.

IMO, when one relids or even refills them... it becomes sketchy as to what their intentions are. Either it was done to fool someone in reselling it or it was simply done as a personal preferance of the collector. Personally I do not see the point of refilling them with oil other than to fool someone down the line.

The cans still have value though. As much as one with original lids, oil... no.

Awhile ago, I bought a Lion Head can that had both lids removed, was cut along the seam but not flattened out. At some point the seam was soldered back together and the can was relidded. Fortunately for me, I only paid $30 for it. Seller never mentioned any of that and simply sold it as an original can. I thought I was getting it for a steal until it arrived and I saw what the condition was. So I ended up paying around what it is actually worth. A decent Lion Head can usually brings $100 or more, $200-300 for an original that is filled.

To save an old can without lids from being damaged/crushed it is a good idea to have them relidded. To some, the value goes down though when this is done. Others are not bothered by it.

[This message has been edited by GILMORE (edited 11-18-2008).]

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
#44507 Tue Nov 18 2008 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of all the cans I have re-lidded, only 2 have been re-filled with oil. Those 2 cans arrived full, I removed lid, repaired can, re-filled with original oil from can & re-lidded. 1 was done with the original lid from it's can.
No one is reproducing embossed lids. All new oil cans & lids from can companies are plain [no rings, S.A.E.'s or markings].

"... are the cans that are refilled and relidded marked so that someone a few years from now doesn't buy them as originals?"

Are restored SIGNS, GLOBES & PUMPS DATED ?

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 11-18-2008).]

#44508 Tue Nov 18 2008 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's an interesting article from a 1933 Gilmore Graphic...

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved