Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44796 Mon Nov 11 2002 09:17 PM
W
wincoll Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I found a porcelain sign that had the Conoco logo. After cleaning it up, the Conoco came off and, lo and behold, it said Royal! It is shaped the same as the Conoco logo, only it says Royal. I seem to have a memory that Royal might possibly be the British counterpart to Conoco, but I really have no idea. Can anyone help?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#44797 Tue Nov 12 2002 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Royal was common in the USA. It's Conoco's name for the "Premium". You'd pull into their stations, one pump would have a green triangle shapped sign that said "Conoco" that was the regular brand, and the other pump would have "Royal", that was the "high octaine. The "red and white" triangle signs that are a bit smaller with the word "Conoco" across them, came off of the oil racks. I have seen a few people restore a pump and put the red/white sign on the pump, but that was not it's original use.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#44798 Tue Nov 12 2002 11:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bull Butter!!!!!! I have bought 20+ pumps from farms, bulk plants, and auctions. They are all unrestored original from the stations.The small Conoco Triangles were used on pumps for regular. The green triangle is Diesel (15 different people told me this]. Royal was premium. The small signs were used on pumps!!! A small town here in Idaho still has two M&S 80s on the station, Green is diesel, SMALL, red signs regular.Believe it or not! Thanks, Frank.

#44799 Wed Nov 13 2002 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NOT!!!!!!!!

Green sign w/Conoco is regular grade gasoline from 1950-1960.

Red sign w/Super is premium grade gas from'50-'54.

Red sign w/Royal is premium gas from '54-'60.

BLACK sign w/Diesel is deisel fuel from '50-'54.

Red sign w/Conoco is smaller than the other signs. It was most definitely an oil rack sign. It dates from '46-'70 (I've heard that there may be a bigger version of this sign that was used on pumps without the white border, but I've never seen one). If its red with a white outline and white Conoco, its an oil rack sign. They were used on round racks and the signs mounted back to back.

Some mom and pop stations might use the signs as Frank mentioned , but thats not the intended use for them.

Anyway, we all agree Royal is premium.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#44800 Wed Nov 13 2002 08:17 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The small red/white Conoco sign comes with and without rounded corners on the horizontal
portion of the sign with the word "Conoco".
The rounded corner version was definitely made to fit on the oil rack as the rack is rounded in the same fashion and I have a rack with the same original signs on it. The square corner versions of this sign were possibly made for use on pumps.

Bill Fortune
#44801 Wed Nov 13 2002 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Somebody please help!! I have had Wayne60s, Toke34s,39s,300, the list goes on. All the pumps had 7inby7in red and white Conoco triangles. I have since sold the pumps and only have a few of the signs left.Conoco was huge in this area at one time.80% of the pumps I find are Conoco, with the red and white triangle. There is a dozen pumps still out there that are either not for sale or still being used that are exactly the same way. The diesel thing is debatable, all the Green add glass, green signed pumps I have seen were being used for diesel,There original intention, I don't know?? Any way here in Idaho, the most commom Conoco pump is the smaller red and white triangle, it says just" Conoco "accross the center in white.. Yes royal was premium.. Frank..

#44802 Wed Nov 13 2002 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've done a little more research. Looked in some reference books and talked with some knowledgable people and came up with the following:

The small 7 1/2" X 8 1/2" red and white sign that says Conoco did in fact come in two versions. The square corner on the rectangle was used on pumps just as wfort39663 said. And the rounded corner version was used on oil can racks. Apparently if you didn't look close you'd never know they were different. The oil rack version possibly has more mounting holes than the pump version. These signs were used on pumps starting in 1946. They should have been upgraded to the green version in 1950!, but may have been used as late as 1970 at remote locations. The oil rack sign would have been obsolete in 1970 when Conoco re-imaged their stations.

The green Conoco,red Royal, red Super, and black Diesel signs are 8 1/2" X 9 1/2". Check my earlier post to see the dates they were used.

The green Conoco sign was NOT meant to be used with diesel. The pumps Frank talked about must have come from jobber stations and not company stations.

The Super and Diesel signs are very rare.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#44803 Wed Nov 13 2002 08:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes that helps!! Frank.. Thank You!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings