Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
C
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
When I was looking to buy a house or pickup, I never see signs that say Make Offer or Best Offer Accepted.

BUT for your house purchase it WAS your best offer that the seller accepted or you accepted the counter offer. Not too many pay the list price in real estate unless it was up for sale a long time with several price cuts along the way. And for your pickup I'm sure that you made an offer or two as the salesperson did their fast dance trying to get you to agree to the highest amount they could get while making you believe they gave you the best deal of the year. These two examples are big purchases where price negotiations go back and forth until a final sale price is agreed upon by both parties.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Just throwing this idea out there....how about a for sale with price section and a make offer section. For all those (myself included) who don't want to deal with the make offer people we can choose to never go into that part of the forum.

Ok, everyone can now attack this idea...lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are getting a Building Permit to convert the garage to living quarters, Right?

C
C
You are getting a Building Permit to convert the garage to living quarters, Right?

No they denied my "offer" lol laugh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cindy B
When I was looking to buy a house or pickup, I never see signs that say Make Offer or Best Offer Accepted.

BUT for your house purchase it WAS your best offer that the seller accepted or you accepted the counter offer. Not too many pay the list price in real estate unless it was up for sale a long time with several price cuts along the way. And for your pickup I'm sure that you made an offer or two as the salesperson did their fast dance trying to get you to agree to the highest amount they could get while making you believe they gave you the best deal of the year. These two examples are big purchases where price negotiations go back and forth until a final sale price is agreed upon by both parties.

& BOTH have a starting Price. I've never bought a vehicle that I haven't felt like I got SHAFTED. A dozen can go in to same dealer & walk out w/ exact vehicle & all paid a different price w/o a trade in.

No they denied my "offer" lol laugh

Building Permits are not open to offers or the penalties for not getting one.
Insurance might be worthless if you ever have a claim.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
If a seller doesn't know the value of an item and therefore posts is as "make an offer", what criteria do they use to know when to accept an offer? I just don't get that.
* Do they wait for a few days and accept the highest offer? That's called an auction.
* Do they take the highest offer, then put it on eBay with a starting bid of the highest offer? That's called a waste of my time.
* Do they keep IMing others to up their offer because they received a higher one? That's called unethical.

Sorry, but none of these scenarios seem acceptable.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
What good does it do to require a price on all items when a seller can pull this.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=71502&Number=443299#Post443299

I don't see where this is any better than not pricing an item.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The details of any particular sale, if there is one, will only be important to the buyer and seller. No one else needs to be upset how any sale took place that made both the buyer and seller happy. Or even if a seller has the time and patience to wait for the best deal knowing what that could be... that should be ok too. It shouldn't be "it's my way or the highway" mentality. How about "to each his own" "different strokes for different folks"... personal preference is personal to the individual and individuality is a good thing. No harm no foul right?

I disagree with the above statements made by you. We refer to ourselves as a community, not individuals. We care about what goes on, on this site as it effects all of us. If you want a private sale between two strangers and want to keep all the details a secret between the buyer and seller...Well, that's what craigslist and ect. are for!

Better to foster a sense of community rather then each man for himself mentality. In order to maintain this sense of community a certain amount of trust, transparency and oversight by all is needed. This instills a sense of loyalty and responsibility, to each other, much like a close knit community or family.

In a loose sense of the word, we are a family, albeit dysfunctional at times. We fight, bicker and even call each other names...but in the end, we stand united and are quick to defend each other and the best interests of the entire community.

Better to think in terms of "we" rather then "I". Most of us, are as much concerned about the hobby as we are about our personal collections.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I gotta go with Cindy B. To each his own. What works for one might not work for the other. The first ones to screw you over are family and friends, typically not strangers. It's no one's business to know the detail of a sale between 2 individuals on this site or anywhere else. I may be part of this community but I am an individual when it comes to buying and selling. Price or not. Who cares? (obviously a few) Life is too short to worry about such trivial things.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If I see stuff with "Make Offer" - I just ignore it. Same with ones that require a phone call or don't take PMs or E-Mail. Doesn't bother me - I'm not going to lose any sleep - I'm just not going to buy your stuff. It would be nice if there was something in the title like "Make Offer" so they could be ignored easier but its not a big deal.

I'm really only replying so I can see if my avatar thing works though.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I read the link, it's worse in my book Bob. I don't think that's right no matter you paint it......

I like the clear policies Tom defined from other antique site. No questions there, and easy and quick to moderate if necessary (with clear, concise guidelines this will be minimalized).

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ive done shows for years and have seen people(my partner included!) try to sell BOTH unpriced items and priced items.
Alot of people WILL NOT take the time to ask how much or even make an offer so NOT pricing your item definately hurts sales.
I proved this theory also by having a friend that was insistant about NOT pricing his BETTER signs price them ALL at the next show! He sold twice as much as the previous show...
Open your OWN store then dont price anything and just take offers...See how far that gets you! Seriously...
If you dont know the value then ask the value section BEFORE you sell it?
When Jim wanted to buy oldgas.com he didnt make an offer, He bought it!
I have bought a couple items thru offers and was even promised the item ONLY to have someone offer a few bucks more and squash MY DEAL!
Just like ebay, if you dont know what you want for an item OR its value? Run it as an auction! If you have an idea? Put a buy it now with accept offers option! Real simple people If your afraid of losing a penny then put FIRM!
All the ones crying about having to price something will still BUY IT if its priced! LOL
At least give it a try...you might actually sell something...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shows and the internet are apples and oranges in comparison in my opinion.
Someone on the net can cast out and fish, if you will, for an offer that's acceptable. Make the offer or move on. Shows are like a retail setting. Everything in the store is priced at a starting point with negotiations forbidden (grocery store) to expected (car dealer). Does it help sell items when they are priced? Sure. Does that mean you have to price it if you don't want to? No. To each his own. Many reasons to price or not price.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Greg, You always price your items since I proved my point to YOU!!! So Put your pom poms away!
Its called the For Sale section for a reason! Not the Make Offer section...
This is the only site I know of that you can sell your items by letting everyone else name the price...No wonder there is so much confusion and discussion on this matter...

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Wed Jul 17 2013 07:05 AM. Reason: get boxing gloves out :)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Saw one vendor at a recent swap meet physically & painstakingly price over 100 items before the meet began,slowly & patiently.
I saw not one interested buyer offer him his posted price,but instead asked if he would take less then what he posted.
I could see the discouragement and astonishment in his eyes as the day wore on.
I walked up to him and asked how was it going,as he confirmed his feelings to me and said,"Why did I waste my time pricing all this stuff?"
His prices were very reasonable in my book,and not overpriced at all.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved