Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with rbonitz, put a price on your stuff or I will not pursue it. IMO, the "make me an offer" sellers are primarily the pickers who are simply turning their inventory hoping for a quick profit. I cannot be both "buyer" and "seller", so put a price on it!

Dave

Dave
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure, but I don't have to, and neither does anyone else. Quit trying to tell people how to operate. When this becomes rule on this site, follow the rules. Until then, make an offer or move on it's that simple.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure what you meant by your reply,but I wasn't telling anyone how to operate,just relaying what I encountered.
Everyone has the right to sell as they wish.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do like i do... you don't like what you see move on, I have! I look at oldgas about twice a week now since last year... i used to post twice a day or more since 1999! I don't post anymore (except this dumb thread)... things are much better because of it!
I said once the fun in the hobby was gone i would quit collecting. It's a hobby for me... this site is not fun for ME anymore hence my lack of posting and looking.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Another valid point:
The "make offer" items SQUASH the priced items because they are commented on more. So the "make offer" method of selling pushes the priced items to the bottom! Is that fair? Remember when the member kept bumping his items back to the top twice a day and got spanked for it?
I have 75 signs and could list each one with make offer! You wouldnt see anything BUT my stuff! But I have respect for everyone...
Also, people ABUSE the make offer section! Post their sign with make offer, ONLY to place on ebay higher than all their offers!

C
C
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage

I disagree with the above statements made by you. We refer to ourselves as a community, not individuals. We care about what goes on, on this site as it effects all of us. If you want a private sale between two strangers and want to keep all the details a secret between the buyer and seller...Well, that's what craigslist and ect. are for!

Better to foster a sense of community rather then each man for himself mentality. In order to maintain this sense of community a certain amount of trust, transparency and oversight by all is needed. This instills a sense of loyalty and responsibility, to each other, much like a close knit community or family.

In a loose sense of the word, we are a family, albeit dysfunctional at times. We fight, bicker and even call each other names...but in the end, we stand united and are quick to defend each other and the best interests of the entire community.

Better to think in terms of "we" rather then "I". Most of us, are as much concerned about the hobby as we are about our personal collections.

That is a bit of a far stretch to turn individually into an every man for himself mentality really. I don't think you mean to imply this is a community of clones... where everyone is the exact same. It's one thing to be protective of your neighbors in a caring way and keep a watchful eye over things so no one will bring harm to your neighbors. It is another for anyone to attempt to dictate to their neighbors or shun them simply for having a personal preference that is different than their own. That does not demonstrate an united or accepting community.

I looked over the guidelines that Alex posted. They allow sellers (community members) the freedom to choose what they personally are comfortable with. I guess I'm just a spoiled American and Democracy over Dictatorship gets my vote any day. But anyone does have the freedom to shun any member whose selling preference does not meet their personal standards. Although that could be at their loss too by losing the opportunity to take a peek at some cool and/or rare collectables. And even that brings no harm to anyone in your community... no harm no foul!

I will never advance to a Petro Enthusiast... I just don't have that kind of money to invest in things for my personal pleasure. But I do enjoy a good discussion and debate. My opinion here means nothing really. However it would be nice to see some members have the willingness to be a little more opened minded towards the difference of the individuals within this community. Some members are pretty forceful in their complaints about others merely choosing a different approach to selling something. I just don't see why such animosity is necessary over something that's inconsequential to them personally. Better to focus on all the positives and enjoy than zero in on one little thing that they personally perceive as a negative. It's their own perception taking some of the fun out of the community experience... not what anyone else does or doesn't do.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Several moderators are currently talking about options on pricing in the For Sale Petro forum. I don't want to run off newbies like Cindy who posted above. But things have changed in the hobby and on this site and we need to address those changes. We appreciate your ideas posted here.

If you are a moderator, send me a PM or email. If you are a member, post your thoughts here.

Require a price! If you dont know what its worth, go to ebay or post as an auction on here. Tired of all the fishing for premium prices. I have been guilty of posting a couple things for sale and saying make an offer, but when I was doing that I was simply trying to imply that this item does not have much value to me, so make an offer and most likely its yours.

I hope all the moderators vote to start requiring a price!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would guess a third of the listings get sold for "offers" from the would be buyers. I think that's why a lot of the starting prices get lowered as the week goes on.
As the saying goes - " you have to start some where"

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
So basically if the rules are changed to require a price then is this what will be happening?

Carter Carbureter Display $2,000 or best offer.

C
C
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett:
You are getting a Building Permit to convert the garage to living quarters, Right?

Originally Posted By: Cindy B:
No they denied my "offer" lol laugh

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett:
Building Permits are not open to offers or the penalties for not getting one.
Insurance might be worthless if you ever have a claim.

haha darnit! You didn't appreciate my attempt to insert a little humor to lighten things up a little? That question came out of left field so I just couldn't resist

But you're preaching to the choir there. And I'm sure you can figure out why.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
[quote=huskybob]So basically if the rules are changed to require a price then is this what will be happening?

PM Sent.

(Just kidding).

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: huskybob
So basically if the rules are changed to require a price then is this what will be happening?

YES! This is a perfect example! But will it sell for 2K? probably not...But at least you and a potential buyer have a starting point!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you could try to do something like say $2k obo... but you run the risk of chasing people away

if you truly do not know what something is worth... use google! or use the value section, thats why its there

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Another valid point:
If items were priced, then they sell...There will ALWAYS be record of that sale and at what price and new and old members can search values that way!
We all know how priceless the Matthews+Aumann auction RESULTS page has been!!! The for sale forum and oldgas as a whole can be utilized in the same manner...
I also know alot of guys make a killing off selling signs and DONT CLAIM IT on taxes so they dont want their name in lights, OR documentation of INCOME they made smile But that doesnt justify NOT pricing things so they can stay hidden???

Oldgas.com has provided the worlds best forums for us collectors/beginners to use for FREE!!!
When we graciously use it to sell our items,
The least we could do is leave record for future generations! I mean, isn't that what its really all about???

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Wed Jul 17 2013 10:08 AM. Reason: added to it...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bppierce
If a seller doesn't know the value of an item and therefore posts is as "make an offer", what criteria do they use to know when to accept an offer? I just don't get that.

...BINGO! that's the real issue, isn't it? the person soliciting offers HAS to have a number in their mind that sounds good to them (otherwise they wouldn't be able to accept ANY offer!) - but they won't state that number, in case it's lower than what someone MIGHT be willing to pay...just scared to death eek that they'll leave a dollar on the table...

...can you imagine if you had to go through this rigamarole with EVERY transaction you made? mad

...regarding the seller who priced all of his stuff, only to have to dicker with every potential buyer: most folks add 'wiggle room' to their prices for that very reason...THAT'S why the seller 'bothered to price' everything: it gave, at the very least, a starting point for the conversation...when I'm browsing at a show, sometimes I'll ask if the seller can do a little better; sometimes I just buy the item, if I'm glad to have found it and I think it's a fair price...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved