Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
Has anyone ever had an item show up that was damaged in USPS shipping that was not insured, but due to VERY improper packing opened a 'not as described" case with Ebay and got their money back? I bought a Mobil Radiator Flush bottle, which would have been my 8th different version, from a relatively new seller on Ebay. I just went to the PO to pick it up. When the clerk put it on the counter I could hear the shattered contents in the box. frown The shipping box was barely big enough to contain the bottle, and we could hear absolutely no packing around the bottle to help prevent damage. The box was marked fragile, but what is that going to do when it barely fit in the box? You could see a small puncture type hole in the side of the box.
I personally feel whether is was insured or not, if an item is improperly packed that is the seller's responsibility and I should be able to return for a full refund, but I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? I already emailed the seller that the item was very poorly/improperly packed and the item absolutely destroyed due to that reason.
The post office is holding the package and said I can refuse it, so I wouldn't have to pay to return it at this point, which was smart.
Thanks for any replies....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...refuse it and open a 'not as described' case with PayPal, if possible...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Mark. Let Paypal know that the bottle was damaged so badly, that you could not take delivery of it...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I insured every single piece I bought off ebay over 15 years. Now when I sell on ebay hardly nobody buys insurance.

Is it worth the hassel not too ???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When ebay required all sellers to either accept PP/CC, that gave the buyers the right to refuse & receive a Full Refund for almost any reason, even when sellers state "NO RETURNS". Receiving an item that is not as described, sold or properly packaged is Not the Fault of the buyer. Package Insurance is for the protection of the seller, to insure that they are reimbursed for In-proper packaging, shipping accidents, etc.

I don't pay for my neighbors auto insurance for him to drive & drink, I pay for my auto insurance In case he hits me/I hit him when we drive.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have a fedex account and they no longer cover any damage to neon clocks or signs anymore, i have been it battle with them for damage even with stuff they packed for me, the last 4 clocks i bought 3 of them were broken and some i got paid to get them repaired some the seller refunded me the cost to repair them.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As they say;
IF you want it done right, Do It Yourself.
All items should be Protected like You would like to receive it, AS SENT. NOT "that should be OK".

Most shipping employees are just that, EMPLOYEES & are not held Liable for ANY DAMAGE not directly caused by them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought packages were automatically insured for $100?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I thought packages were automatically insured for $100?

Not at USPS, maybe FedeX

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Give the seller a chance to fix the problem and make it right before automatically opening a case. "Most" sellers will work with you. If not case away!

Always buying and selling Neon Dealer signs pumps air meters
www.porcelainneonsigns.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
not at fedex either they want to see several pics of the box the way it is packaged ect then they decide what will happen. i agree with mantiquers i do that route first save all you emails
then if they wont work with you open a claim.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
99% of the time I send the seller packing instructions if it is delicate and fragile. I tell them in general terms what past transactions have taught me. I have sent and received many globes over the years without a single loss. Sometimes the seller is insulted that I am assuming they don't know what they are doing, however once a fragile piece of history is broken, it is lost forever. Scott Benjamin taught me how to pack and ship globes a long time ago. Type up something on your computer and save it for future use. You can just copy and paste to an e-mail or attach the document to your e-mail. The few extra minutes pay off in the long run. Sorry about the bad experience Darin. I hope you get the money back.
Mike

D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks guys...I will keep you in the loop with what the seller says. Currently I have not heard from the seller, but will wait a day or two to hear back and go from there.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I learned way back in 6th grade when we had to build boxes with an egg inside and drop them off the school roof what good packing is.
In 99% of the cases if an item gets damaged IT WAS NOT PACKAGED PROPERLY.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK Rick,
NOW you have a GOOD EXCUSE for....! You Weren't Properly Protected for the Landing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved