Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I heard as time went on and the show got more popular they bought less and staged more. They no longer needed to actually make a few bucks on the flipping because they were making so much as celebrities. I would think most of the stuff in their stores that you saw in an episode is from the first few seasons.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark

The Only Way You Will Know For Sure How Fake TheShow Is, Is To Give The Tattoo Girl A Call And Have mike & Frank Stop At Your Place For A Visit? Now Wouldnt That Be Cool!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
They came to Sarge's place in Alexander Tn. Total bull flew in got in the truck down the road. He restores pumps,wouldn't sell them any. They bought a statue of horse laying in the weeds,more bull.
Good news is there are still people who have not become computer junkies,and rabbit ears is the norm.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermoman
Mark

The Only Way You Will Know For Sure How Fake TheShow Is, Is To Give The Tattoo Girl A Call And Have mike & Frank Stop At Your Place For A Visit? Now Wouldnt That Be Cool!

"You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny."

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Love it or hate it, that show is not going anywhere for long time!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It might be fake,but I stopped in last year on the way to Chip's place and bought a cat eye R/R crossing and a nice Goodyear sign.They even offered to make a call to see if the price would change because of me buying the two items,and whoever they talked to lowered the price.I agree most of the stuff is tourist stuff but there are real items there with some fair prices also.JM2C

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Remember the episode when they visited Thornton Beroth and bought the Harley Davidson/Firestone light-up countertop display? It said they were traveling in "Virginia." WRONG! Thornton and Pam live in North Carolina. Its all bs...along with the prices too. Just stick to your own style of hunting and forget about Hollywood.

Good Luck,

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All I can add to this discussion is that the Canadian Pickers show is not staged. When they attended at my place, they bought $6000.00 worth of items and they paid for them and took them with them.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Uhoh, I smell a border war brewing. grin
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
All I can add to this discussion is that the Canadian Pickers show is not staged. When they attended at my place, they bought $6000.00 worth of items and they paid for them and took them with them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, Do you know if there is a place on the internet that we could see episodes of the Canadian show and maybe even your episode? It would be fun to see some of the different items.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Dave,

It's blacked out; in that only Canadian IPO addresses can view it, shows up as not available in your country for others.

Here's a link to a thread in which I posted pictures of my collection.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=400603&page=1

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
E
E
Dave, nice collection of signs,etc... Love the "Star Weekly" sign. I have a Star Weekly table. Ever seen one?. Can't say we have.

Star Weekly Table (2).jpg Star Weekly Table (1).jpg
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
There's this thing called "Production" that doesn't allow you to just randomly video people walking around & have it be a show 350 million different people will like.

Of course they buy far more than they show, 1 hour isn't enough to show everything bought in a week.

It's T.V. take it with a grain of salt... You all OBVIOUSLY watch it.

Also, Frank sells tons of his picks online, and the store in Iowa & Nashville both have current picks for sale. You can also contact them on the phone & enquire about any item you want.

H
H
I seriously don't get why so many of you guys hate these guys and their show. IT'S JUST A TELEVISION SHOW!!! And I don't believe that the show is as faked as some of you think it is. I believe that they actually visit these people and buy their stuff. What happens is that the people themselves contact the show and set up a "pick." They send in pics of what they have and sometimes someone even goes over there and scopes out what's there. On the facebook site Mike mentioned that they get 2000 leads a month. I TOTALLY believe that. They buy everything that's even remotely cool that the owners will sell, they just don't show all of it. How boring would it be if you saw them buy the same rusty Coca Cola sign over and over? They try and mix it up and show different odd ball stuff and make it "educational" by discussing the items general history, the companies that made some of them, etc.

Some of you also complain that now it's to expensive to buy stuff now because of this show. Well to bad fellas. You were buying stuff for pennies in the old days and now you gotta pay up, and guess what? There's a flipside to that as well. All of the stuff you stole for dirt cheap in the 1970s-1990s is worth a TON of money today, so thank the "picker gods" that this show came out. Some of you (or your heirs) just made a ton of money if you ever chose to sell off your stuff for whatever reason.

Overall, I think this show is one of the best things that has ever happened to the antique and collectible business/hobby. I personally can't wait till Monday nights when a new episode airs!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I personally don't hate the show, quite the opposite, I love it and to be honest American Pickers is what brought me into the hobby. I think the motivation behind these conversations is similar to going to a magic show, enjoying yourself and then over a few drinks afterwards trying to pick apart what you watched.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved