Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Need some help guys...Is this GM sign real or fake? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Paul

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
The letters don't appear to line up quite right .Just does not look right?

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't know for sure, but appears to be questionable in my opinion.

I don't like the font used for the letters and the size of those mounting holes is huge for a small sign.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Don't know for sure, but appears to be questionable in my opinion.

I don't like the font used for the letters and the size of those mounting holes is huge for a small sign.

ditto.. cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks real to me.. The price is crazy high though.. I was told these are off busses with GM engines? This Siam was made in red as well..

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is an old listing to compare it to. Looks real to me. I believe these signs were used on electric motors.

Daryl
Paul, These signs were on the radiator shell of electric generator sets, one on each side. Not sure of years, I have seen them on sets from the 1940's through the 60's. I have one, it is red w/yellow letters. I have seen them in several color combinations. This one looks real, but without it in your hand, hard to be positive. The measurements are correct. Good Luck, Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Iowa99
Paul, These signs were on the radiator shell of electric generator sets, one on each side. Not sure of years, I have seen them on sets from the 1940's through the 60's. I have one, it is red w/yellow letters. I have seen them in several color combinations. This one looks real, but without it in your hand, hard to be positive. The measurements are correct. Good Luck, Ray

IMO real. I have one that green/yello that came off a very old huge old diesel bus from the grille surround.

Price though is way thru the roof... Also IMO

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definitely real. I could be wrong about this, but I always thought/heard these came off units like large back-up generators and such. Could be for large electric motors or some other industrial unit.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Jul 31 2013 02:22 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its An Emblem Off A GeneratoS, Locomotive, Heavy equipment. There Was One On Each Side Of The Radiator. Kind Of Like The Giant Bowties Off The Motor Homes That People Pass Off As Signs.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for the great information. I like the sign/emblem itself, but not the sky high price of this particular one. Figured if it wasn't a repop it was a door push of some kind (when I find one I will probably use it like that), but never would've guessed it came from big locomotive engines and such. Daryl (junior25) thanks for posting one that sold so I can gauge better what to expect when I do find one. Now a few of you guys mentioned measurements (in regards to repops) which made me wonder.... was this sign ever repop'd?

Thanks again,
-Paul

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved