Next Thread
Print Thread
#452094 Thu Aug 01 2013 01:14 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
SO did anyone else get screwed by the guy on Ebay that was selling the Marathon lenses cheap and evidently got tipped off and cancelled all the transactions? I was the first buyer, and obviously wanted the one early running man lens he had for sale. I knew it was too good to be true, hopefully it wasn't another Old Gasser that killed the deal for all of the people who HAD purchased and paid for our lenses and now we are out. Must have been a hell of a mistake to drop ALL 13 or so lenses he was offering, as my refund said they were broke. I just sent the seller an email asking for a photo of my broken lens that I purchased at the price he was asking. The item number was/were 200948761776
This really ruined my day, thought I was one of the lucky guys that gets that cheap BIN Ebay item every once in a while. frown Should have known that this wasn't going to work out from the get, especially since that first hour they were listed there were like 50+ looks but I was the first person to actually pull the trigger and buy one. I'm sure he was getting all kinds of offers to not stick to his word and sell for the price he set. More people out for the almighty damn dollar....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
bummer, what are they worth?

D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
There was a single Transcontinental green and orange running man lens I thought I purchased, probably worth $600 or so I would guess, I'm not certain. I know it was a heck of a deal, too good to actually come to fruition I guess. Maybe they will get broke in shipping to whoever bought them, karma would be a SOB, lol!

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Darin, the auction number you posted comes up for an auction with 7 'Multipower' lenses...the two photos show a 15" lens of one style, and a 13.5" lens of another style...

...maybe he had more than one listing? It might be 'unsearchable', but if you had the number it would come up...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Hey Mark...after I purchased the one running man lens he took the pic of it out and revised the listing to just the Multipower lenses being available. I am able to see the original listing as a buyer, but I think you are only able to see the revised listing now. He had one running man and like 12 or 14 Multipower lenses available, and 6 of those had sold when he ended the auctions due to " breakage".

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was the number two buyer and also got the same story. I got my email this morning and he said his kid dropped the lenses. I also pulled the trigger I guess right after you. You are right, to good to be true. I figured as much would happen, as I only noticed after paying for my lens that I was the second person to buy.......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...OK, I understand...sorry to hear that happened...

...a while back, a %$#@ sent my USPS Money Order back for an Atlantic fried egg sign I bought from him - he included a note saying he couldn't sell it for his asking price, because he saw one go for more on eBay mad

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have had the same story on many items...damaged, lost, ect. All BS stories. Its a chance you take with ebay. Until its in your possession its not yours. Many snakes out there trying to buy this stuff....par for the course

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Leave him a negative feedback....he earned it!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I will for sure Dave, and I told him so in an email I fired off yesterday saying he was full of it and that I wanted a photo of my broken lens. I was thinking about calling his bluff and telling him I'd still pay the $125 for my broken pieces as I wanted to glue it together, lol. Needless to say he hasn't replied to any of my emails so far!
I agree with 57tbirdkid that until it's in hand and arrives in one piece it really isn't yours. That statement was one I've never really thought about but is entirely true with Ebay.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Leave him a negative feedback....he earned it!

...sounds like he could get a couple negatives, just from Oldgas bidders he screwed over...of course, with his paltry 39 feedback rating, he'll just start over if he ever finds anything worth a damn...

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Sounds like a case of "someone offered more money for the items" and probably bought them all!
This happens alot more on ebay now...I lost a KILLER sign to a FELLOW OLDGAS MEMBER that offered more money AFTER the auction ended because he lived close! Then he posted it in buys of the week...pretty ruthless and well deserving of the Karma he is cunjuring smile
Good Luck

D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
That's what I'm hoping DOESN'T happen Tom, that in a couple weeks someone posts them on here, either as a BOTW or for sale.

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"They smile in your face..."

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved