Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's television.... No other explanation needed. Well, what Dick said, too ($$$$).

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I totaly lost faith in the show when the episode I saw where they blew the square nuts off of a wheel of a Civil War Cannon to get it off instead of heating and cooling with cold water.

To screw up good original nuts and then they put some type of other not on when it was restored took me out of the show.

Pluck

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
What irks me is the supposed restoration cost on many relatively simple pieces like pedal cars and such. I know of several body shops that willingly restore such items just as well at cost of far far less. Only on the more complex pieces, like the dog tag maker can I see value-for-work being equitable.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lone Ranger was good till Silver jumped atop the passenger car of Train, THAT wasn't Believable! MOVIE Plot ****ED

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Steve Plucker
I totaly lost faith in the show when the episode I saw where they blew the square nuts off of a wheel of a Civil War Cannon to get it off instead of heating and cooling with cold water.

To screw up good original nuts and then they put some type of other not on when it was restored took me out of the show.

Pluck
Thats the image of American craftsmanship that television people are presenting to the world. Clowns with tools. Sad really.

Last edited by JimT; Mon Jul 22 2013 02:46 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, I can't wait to set my dvr so I can see Mr Sim's name. So exciting.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Steve Plucker

Pluck

I remember that. I remember thinking, wow are they really doing that?

It must have come down to budget. Certainly quicker the way they did it. Maybe the customer didn't have the budget for such details.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Lone Ranger was good till Silver jumped atop the passenger car of Train, THAT wasn't Believable! MOVIE Plot ****ED

What about the popcorn box on the dead body of one of the Rangers?

And where the Indian Chief told the Lone Ranger he got the watch from, was it Montgomery Wards or Sears and Robucks?

HA!

Pluck

S
S
Some of you guys are expecting way too much from these shows. TV producers are convinced you have to have all this drama and conflict for a show to be successful. How many have seen Graveyard Carz? The one where they restore old Mopar muscle cars? That show, and it's creator, Mark Worman, also took a lot of criticism over the goofy, dysfunctional behavior of it's cast. Worman posted on a Mopar site where people were ripping him that he spent 5 years trying to get a show on the air and was repeatedly rejected. When he asked what he needed to do to have a chance he was told he needed a lot more drama and conflict to sell it. He said as the show gets more of an audience he hopes to show more of the restoration process and less of the inane banter.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you can't contact them through their website .......Hmmmmmm

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Rick and I used to share spaces at many of the swap meets here in the mid-west. Him with his gas pumps and Coke machines, me with my air meters.
His work was some of the best I have ever seen.

About 12 years ago he came to my house here in St. Louis and purchased my last 75 gas pumps, the following year he returned and bought all the parts I had left from parting out about 125 pumps.

I am a contributor to the show, meaning I send them answers, mostly literature about a subject, in return they list my name at the end of the show. To see my name you need to record the show and run it back in slow motion, it goes by quickly.

I talk to Rick occasionally, about two years ago we were discussing the show and I told him he should explain a process used in the restorations. I see that they are now doing that.

My opinion is turn off the sound and just look at the stuff he has, same with the Pickers.

Jack Sim

That's cool Jack, it sounds like the guy recognizes your expertise in this business. I personally enjoy the show. Not so much for the "antics" but I can appreciate the work that goes in to restoring old worn items. I'm not a purist when it comes to restorations so if something has to be fabricated to emulate the original part I'm fine with that. Not every nut or bolt has to be era correct. I've redone a few pumps and I look at them as machines that were used as tools without any concern about be around forever. When I'm done they look nice, not perfect but nice enough to display in someone's garage, rec room, shop, or "mancave". I buy them with the intent of keeping them but when I find something else I need it's like money in the bank and I sell them. I've been doing this primarily with motorcycles but any interesting restoration that I won't lose money on will work for me. I'm not raking in a lot of money but it's enough to keep me busy in my spare time.
Here's the latest pump that I just finished yesterday.

Wally

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'd say some of you expect too LITTLE of your TV shows...and that's exactly what you're getting...if I've got to turn the sound off to enjoy a TV show, then there's no point in watching it...

...there are lots of people who will never attend a gas show; who couldn't tell you the history or chronology of a gas pump if their next meal depended on it; who don't care whether or not the paint scheme/signage remotely resembles what was ever used by the given oil company...they are the ones, out of whose mouths involuntarily spring the words 'American Pickers', when they see anything that looks old - whether it actually is or not...they are the undiscerning target market for the makers of undated, unmarked repros - and they are the core audience for these shows...

...as soon as someone creates a new show - maybe one featuring Honey Boo Boo opening a combination pawn shop/nail salon/barbecue for divorced duck hunters, set somewhere on the Jersey Shore (or Alaska, or the Okefenokee Swamp) - their morbid curiosity will drift away from 'American Peckers', et al, and those shows will wither and die...soon thereafter, all of the mis-painted fantasy pumps will start popping up on craigslist - and the sellers will curse loudly, and wonder why no one wants to give them the $2000 they originally paid for them:

"They had one just like that on that show, where the guy with no sleeves repainted stuff...what was it called? $#@&, I can't remember - but they had one just like it, and he wanted $5000 for it"...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
JimT #452277 Fri Aug 02 2013 09:12 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a lot of respect for everybody that does restoration work, it is very difficult, time consuming, takes extreme talent and cost $$$. My perspective and OPINION is when you restore an antique item is it really antique anymore ????? I am not a fan of the show I am the guy that likes the before not the after shots and the Vanna White style of how they show the customer the restored item drives me nuts....???? If it is on the tube I change the channel to something else.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I understand what you're saying but unfortunately you've pegged the majority of the population when you quoted them as blurting out "American Pickers".
I've owned several classic triumph motorcycles over the years and my goal was to make them as correct as I could. From the lucas wiring to the decals under the seat, my bikes were authentic and accuratly restored. I would have a hard time selling them for as much as the cut up bobber style bikes. I always thought that this was a blessing in disquise because if all the original bikes were being scooped up, cut up and modified, my original would eventually be worth more. I've gone to countless car shows where a ***** looking "rat-rod" would draw as much (if not more) attention than a pristine vehicle that somebody spent too many hours to count would receive... it's just how the majority of people are wired.

Wally

Last edited by Wallster; Fri Aug 02 2013 11:05 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wallster
I understand what you're saying but unfortunately you've pegged the majority of the population when you quoted them as blurting out "American Pickers".
I've owned several classic triumph motorcycles over the years and my goal was to make them as correct as I could. From the lucas wiring to the decals under the seat, my bikes were authentic and accuratly restored. I would have a hard time selling them for as much as the cut up bobber style bikes. I always thought that this was a blessing in disquise because if all the original bikes were being scooped up, cut up and modified, my original would eventually be worth more. I've gone to countless car shows where a ***** looking "rat-rod" would draw as much (if not more) attention than a pristine vehicle that somebody spent too many hours to count would receive... it's just how the majority of people are wired.

Wally

...well-put, and I agree that your bikes will be worth more in the long run...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Fri Aug 02 2013 11:33 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved