Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
This hunk of junk should be melted down and put out of its misery.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
if it could only talk!.. cool
I see it is in Iowa- did they get it at DesMoines?

Last edited by advertologist; Sun Aug 04 2013 09:14 PM. Reason: spel

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey old signs have feelings too! This old Gargoyle sign has plenty of "patina" as well, likely used for target practice and was sized to fit (what?) but needed a home-so I took it in. Could be a soul mate to the eBay one.
Fred

phpmWSUuWPM.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
I see it is in Iowa- did they get it at DesMoines?

Your spell check isn't working! laugh
What does location have to do with anything?
MOBILOIL was sold in all states & by many independent stations selling other brands of gasoline.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't melt it down. It's worth at least a couple hundred dollars in Michigan, VA and NJ as per the following thread:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452654#Post452654

I noted it has one bid on it. Wonder which one of them made an offer on it?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Dave, if you have ever been to this area and shopped around at auctions, antique shops and malls and seen what people on craigslist and even flea markets and garage sales are getting for this stuff then you can make sarcastic comments. I have been hunting for this stuff for 4 years so I am new but not that new, I think I have a pulse on the market in my area.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Asking & Getting is a Debatable Value!
Never value anything more than you are willing to pay for it.

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
I have asked values on signs on here and some people threw out ridiculously low numbers and I ended up selling the signs for 2-3 times more..whenever I sell something I don't ask a ton of money, but people are always willing to pay.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I saw a Willard Battery tin vertical sign with wood backing completely rusted to the point where rust was the only recognizable color on it just in darker and lighter shades sell for 100$ at auction and a gulf saphire 2 gallon can in same condition sell for 50$ at the same auction. In fact at the auctions around here it seems like the quality pieces go for less than they should but the barn hangers seem to go for much more than they should.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of the local Car Clubs stopped by this afternoon, to swap some lies and to do some looking...

More than a few people, mentioned American "Nose" Pickers and how "distressed" signage was a way to tell that a sign was "right and original"... A good portion of them, said that they were paying more for signage I wouldn't consider even to be "Barn Hangers"... Their reasoning being, that it took decades to get "that distressed condition". Therefore; they could be secure in knowing that what they had was "real"...

Man, were they hurting and I think a few ego were bruised when I went on Ebay and pointed out at least a dozen "distressed" signs that were fantasy and/or repops... Then we went to "Yahoo Search" where they found websites where fake/fantasy distressed signage is sold, as fake/fantasy....

The comments got quite heated and "quite blue" when it was pointed out that most of the signage were not marked in any way, to let Buyers know that the items were not original...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob you don't think my Vacuum sign, is a repop do you? That really is one distressed sign! I think the gargoyle had tears, it hurt so bad. LOL.
Well by the logic expressed by your car club members then good to minty signs should be dropping in value-excellent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take em out and fire a few rounds into them and then throw them in the dirt for a few months to bring that value back up. : )

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved