Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
lotsakegs #455997 Sat Aug 17 2013 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Beach porcelain company was alongside the river in Coshocton Ohio. I have seen a few unfinished shell signs in this area. They had the base redish colored porcelain on them without the top coat of yellow. They looked to be a bigger size than the air sign but in my opinion the Beach company did make some Shell signs. Not saying the air signs in question are real but in my opinion they might be? I know a lot of signs in this area were used as building material.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
T
The discussion which rants on about these Shell AIR signs is really getting under my skin: You guys who like to post your opinion without any real knowledge about what you are talking about.... 'YOUR 2 CENTS' is doing an injustice to those who own or may have 'WHAT IS TRULY REAL' and a valuable item, which you are calling a fake.

Firstly, if I were to go and produce copies and try to pass them arond as originals, I would certainly... especially since I would intend to do porcelain in the same workmanship as it originally was done,... would copy the ACTUAL design of a known sign, NOT CREATE MY OWN DESIGN! Otherwise, I would have to be really STUPID!
Secondly, to do all this work and create double sided signs as fakes is also rediculous.

I personally own both versions (smaller and the larger) AIR signs and they are both REAL. Shell Company has no record of "THE OFFICIAL SIGN" of the style and period, OF ALL THE SIGNS THEY CONTACTED FOR. If you look at the larger more common dealer signs, there are countless differences in what commonly comes up for sale; and yes, the shell logo changed repeatedly during their history, but all signs were not matched precisely as theY were produced during any particular time period, and especially by different contractors. So, as it is with the much less produced AIR sign, just because some guy wrote a book, and put a picture of one that he saw, does that make any other a fake?

As per the ones I own... They were taken off actual Air pumps at 2 different gas stations in Connecticut by my father, who acquired these while I was a kid. I am now 65 years old. Sure, someone may have copied one of these styles, but those copies look like copies, and I have seen a few of them. They are not the same quality and are not heavy like the real 2 versions are.

Another thing about old porcelain signs, the metal used was iron, not steel, as is commonly used today, even among forgers. Sheet Iron is not available (no market for it). The patina is different, the thickness is thinner as well, and the iron signs pit quite readily when the porcelain is damaged, the steel ones do not.

Also, any one of you arbitrary posters ever consider that there may have been a design change in the AIR sign, as Shell Company changed their logos to modernize, as they did from time to time, and that what you guys are arbitrarily calling a fake is merely a later production after a design change, and by a different contractor.... As in: this is the 30s version, and this is the 40s version, etc.

AM Beach Co, Coshocton, Ohio... most likely producer of the 2nd version, which went out of business a long time ago, and probably had supplies of un-distributed signs which were scoffed up by locals, who used them any which way they desired. YES, these were used on a roof... times were tight back in the day, and a metal roof with tar over would be quite reliable. Consider this also: In those days, who was thinking about future value of everything of the period, as in being collectible some day? If that were the case, the things we call rare today, would not be... and we would have too many of everything out there that has been saved, and consequently nothing would be worth anything. These signs that were used as roofing, were considered as just metal to the guy who did that, and he probaly saved a good sum of money he didn't have to spend on a roof.

As in so many blogs, too much opinion, and not enough facts.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anthony,
first of all welcome to oldgas. that was quite a first post & well to the point. Would you post a picture of
your 2 varieties of Shell Air Signs so we can get educated.. cool
Thanks-

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...I've seen the photo of these signs on the roof, but I couldn't find it...

...I find the idea that these signs were used as shingles more plausible, than someone made a bunch of fakes, shingled a roof with them, tarred the roof, dismantled the whole thing and sold them as original...just sayin'...

...I'm just glad someone found the photos!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I agree with "Tonydgt"

"As in so many blogs, too much opinion, and not enough facts."

I worked for five major oil companies from the 50's-80's , they changed sign design, paint colors, etc. from time to time...different manufactures . It is very hard for ANYONE to know all there is to know about what is original vintage and what is made in the last 30 years..

Wes.......
T
T
Hello guys... I'll get pics by the weekend. Thanks

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved