Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456451 Mon Aug 19 2013 05:58 AM
K
KEVB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a 6' sign that is in pretty good shape but there are a few spots that are chipped and down to the metal......and rusty. Has anyone had any luck removing the rust so it's bare metal. The sign is inside so I'm not too concerned about it rusting again. I dabbed on some muriatic acid in one spot but it didn't seem to do much. Maybe I should just leave the rust as it adds character to the sign??

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KEVB #456469 Mon Aug 19 2013 08:15 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
There is a product used in body shops call Rust Mort. Lay the sign flat and fill the chip with liquid, let stand according to instructions. It will neutralize the rust in the chip and the rust will turn black. Clean off with a scotch brite or small wire brush. It can be used for shorter periods with a scotch brite to remove rust on old painted surfaces and bring paint color back out and kill rust.

Follow ALL Safety Instructions for body and lung protection. This is an industrial strength product and can be harmful to skin and lungs.

Last edited by LarryIvy; Mon Aug 19 2013 08:16 AM.

larry ivy
KEVB #456470 Mon Aug 19 2013 08:18 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
In the US, there is a product called Evaporust and it removes rust without eating the metal like acid does. It has the consistency of water so you would have to soak a paper towel and let the wet towel sit over the rust spot or spots until the rust is gone. It works best by immersing the piece in the liquid. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for naval jelly or the equivalent. It is a jelly-like liquid with phosphoric acid in it. You can paint it on the rust spots and it stays in place. You will have to reapply several times as the process degrades the acid.

model72 #456471 Mon Aug 19 2013 08:24 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I've had great luck with porcelain toilet bowl cleaner that you can get at any plumbing department shop. Pour some on the spots, let stand, rub with a small brass brush and "rust be gone". The great thing with this is that there is only a small amount of muratic acid in it so it will not harm the surrounding porcelain and it does the trick. hose it off and you're done. Remember to stand up wind of the fumes while working with the stuff

hotcidr #456512 Mon Aug 19 2013 12:13 PM
K
KEVB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thx for all the tips gents. I'll let you know how I make out.

KEVB #456514 Mon Aug 19 2013 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KEVB
Maybe I should just leave the rust as it adds character to the sign??

...you might be right...can you post a picture of the sign in question?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #456547 Mon Aug 19 2013 02:15 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Over the counter Muriatic acid is not a wipe on/wipe off type of treatment. For metal it needs time to eat the rust, I use it on toys in an immersion bath and it can take several hours to days depending on the rust level/% of acid. And the area will start to rust immediately after treatment ends so be prepared to treat the area with a covering product.

Naval Jelly will eat rust away, you need to neutralize the area after treatment to get rid of all the product.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Household Baking Soda w/ water will neutralize the Muritic acid, rinse w/ clean water, Propane torch dry. Bead/sand blast & primer area to stop Oxidation.
Over the counter Muritic Acid is the same as used in Pool Treatment.

K
KEVB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thx again guys. I'll post a picture when I return from holidays and can take a photo. I might be on holidays but still check in a few times a day with old gas...lol!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved