Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4581 Tue Mar 01 2005 04:45 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys and gals, I am new to the old pump stuff but I would like to purchase one. I don't require an original or original restored pump. And I can not afford to put that kind of money out for basicely a lawn ornament. I have found a couple of reproductions out there (I am only interested in the Visible bowl style) but WOW they are expensive.
I really don't care what material it is made of or how close to a perfect reproduction it is, I just want something that will resemble a pump from the house/street and maybe be able to take some pictures with my car sitting with. I like the looks, you know?
Any help would be appriciated,
Thank you

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4582 Tue Mar 01 2005 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get creative with some sheetmetal or irrigation size PVC.
I have driven by a ranch many times thinking I saw a pump, one place it was a TREE STUMP, another a HOT WATER heater painted red !

#4583 Tue Mar 01 2005 06:19 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Dick. Are you sure that it wasn't a beer bottle with a straw??? LOL. (uh oh, thats probably good for a phone call)

Hey pump jockey, welcome to the site. Look around. Finding a pump can be very easy sometimes. Then you get, not only the thrill of the hunt, but also the opportunity to restore it, however you like it. You get to meet a lot of good people, you go to shows & swap meets, buy a bunch of stuff. Heck, before long, people start visiting you to see your collection. It's a great place to be.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

#4584 Tue Mar 01 2005 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BEWARE OF THUNDER,
he drives a TRASH TRUCK, [not a trashED truck], trying to haul off GOOD junk !
UH Jeff ?
Dick
LOL = Laughing Out Loud !!!!

Thunder just sent me pic's of his trucks, they are THRASH-ED TRUCKS !
But, WE all got to make a living.
Still LOL ! ! !

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 03-01-2005).]

#4585 Tue Mar 01 2005 07:16 PM
Z
Z
I would e-mail you some pics but you don't have it listed. Finished or do it yourself kit form.

#4586 Wed Mar 02 2005 10:27 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks guys, but I was hoping to get a little closer than a painted water heater.
The pic's Zip's has are real nice, but I bet they cost an arm and a leg. I dare to ask, how much? Are those reproductions? Are they full scale?

#4587 Wed Mar 02 2005 10:41 AM
C
C
Hey pump jockie, I'm from Wilmington! There is a good swap meet at the Dayton Airport Expo Center. I'm not sure when the next one is.

#4588 Wed Mar 02 2005 11:53 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, it might help if someone knew your "budget" for this visible pump project. Visible pumps are not the least expensive pumps to buy, but bargains can be had. Gas shows are probably your best bet as sellers haul these pumps there and really don't want to take them home. If you are looking for a visible for $100, better forget it. But I have seen decent "backyard" restorations at shows for $1,000, or about the average price for an unrestored visible.

#4589 Wed Mar 02 2005 04:26 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I would like to go to the show, If anyone knows more about it, please tell.
$1000.00 bucks is quite a chunk of change. I was hoping to find something under $500.00 tops. More like around $300-$400 or am I just dreaming. You would think there would be a market for something like that.
Does anyone ever have there real nice pump vandalized? That would really stink if you spent all that money and time if you had to restore it yourself and them either by accident like a flying rock from the mower or kids and there baseballs, or someone would just rip it off or beat the heck out of it just for meaness.
Thanks all!!!

#4590 Wed Mar 02 2005 06:11 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, don't give up hope. I had a G&B 176 that was missing the cylinder and everything else above it. Skins were rough but restorable and the base needed replacing. I think I sold it for less then your looking to spend. So don't get discouraged. There IS a pump for you out there.

#4591 Wed Mar 02 2005 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, you do buy a pump that is missing the cylinder, you can put your BUG ZAPPER in it, or get a rock/hail screen to hold the top up.
Dick

#4592 Thu Mar 03 2005 10:25 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Gary, Dont give up? Let me see, you had one not to long ago that~
1)Did not have a glass Cylinder
2) Did not have the measuring gage
3) Did not have the top cover
4) Did not have the globe
5) Did not have a globe holder
6) The sheet metal around the base had to be replaced
7) The base (plate or mounting base?) had to be replaced
And I could get this jewel for around $500?
If I brought that home my wife would use it for an enima, sideways, on me!!
There has got to be a better way, Please say there is,
How much would all of the other stuff cost to get it to the point that I could start painting and putting it outside. I have found some globes for sale thru this site, and I am sure they are just beautiful, but man the best price I saw was approx. $80. And I have not even found a glass or even plastic cylinder. Can you find them? Even reproduction?
I thought my car hobbie was expensive, It dont hold a candle to this one.
Any help/guidance/direction would be appriciated.
Thanks guys

#4593 Thu Mar 03 2005 11:32 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, actually I sold it for around $200 (I think). But I also did not mention it needed a pump handle and the "To Car/To Storage" part was missing. LOL You are interested in a pump that is at the top of the "must have" part of this hobby. Demand for it keeps the pricing up. If you are in the car hobby, you should know that finding, accumalating needed parts, and restoring is a very expensive endever. Same as with a pump. I'm pretty sure you won't find a collectible car in a barn (not sure what genre you have) and immediately take it driving and showing it off. Lots of work, and money, will go into it first. Just to get it roadworthy...not show worthy. That would take even more time and money. Same with a visible pump. Now you may run across one on an old farm and talk the owner out of it for a 6 pack. Chances are it will still need a lot of work to be presentable and probably no globe. I surely do not mean to discourage you and I do think you will eventually find a decent pump. I'm just relaying actual facts, but they are not carved in stone. Put the word out to your car buddies and tell them to tell their friends. Run an ad in your local "looking for old gas pump". It would NOT be a miracle that you found one like you want. It's pretty probable if you keep at it. Good luck.

#4594 Thu Mar 03 2005 12:10 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, I hope this lifts your spirits. This pump was FREE from a farmer. We used his tractor to pull it from the bushes where it had fallen over and lay for decades. It was pretty rough to say the least. About like that G&B 176 I was telling you about. In fact, the same parts were missing or needed replacing as that 176. Even though it was FREE, I still had to sink a ton of money into it, but as for the results...you be the judge.

#4595 Thu Mar 03 2005 01:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Pump Jockie, Im a 23 year old college student here in TX, so you know im always broke but I still have 6 pumps and find new ones all the time. The key is waiting and looking. The type of pump you want is a VERY desired pump second only to clock faced pumps. It would be like saying you want an origonal Shelby Mustang for 300.00 tops. It may happen but dont hold your breath man. Part of the allure of this hobby is filling up your truck, packing a sack lunch, and spending the afternoon in the country and small towns hunting for pumps.
Maybe you should consider an electric pump, circa 1936-1960. there are countless pumps of this era that are not only fantastic to look at, but can also be had for your price range, plus (and most important of all) they are origonal. Just hit the back roads and dont give up, why just last week I found a Tokheim 36B here in my town I must have driven by 100 times and never seen.
Keep in touch with the fine folks here on this site, they taught me every thing I know and before you know it that pump will be in your backyard, or with a little wine and roses for your wife, in your living room.

#4596 Thu Mar 03 2005 03:56 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The Dayton Ohio show is May 7 go to events page. later;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

#4597 Thu Mar 03 2005 04:34 PM
D
D
Head to PEOTONE IL. for the show this weekend(in events) and get a good start on a great hobby.Several venders offering pumps at all budgets. Dean

#4598 Fri Mar 04 2005 10:44 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks everyone, You have some really nice pumps, in fact they look like museum quality.
But the truth be known, I am not really concerned if the pump I get is an original.
The difference in the pump and a great restored car is that I dont plan on taking the pump to any shows, just my back yard. It will be stationary.
The old cars are something that will have to be driven.
Also no one actually pumps gas from these old pumps do they? Do you need to have all of the internal parts to enjoy there beauty if they are just sitting bolted to the ground.
I was just hoping to find an inexpensive reproduction, just something to look at.
I was dinking around looking and I found someone that makes a fibreglass pump. But man that thing was well over $1000. It is just a lawn ornament after all. A very nice one needless to say, but still nothing more than a lawn ornament.
Isn't there anyone that makes a nice "lawn ornament" visible bowl pump for under $500?
Now back to the other question, parts.
Where do you find some of the parts for these things.
1)I have found several very nice globe suppliers. But they are not cheap at all. They look like museum quality globes, who makes them, do they have a slightly lower quality that will work for just a "lawn ornament" and the price will reflect that?
2) Where can I get the either glass or plastic bowl? Who makes them, or sells them?
Are they expensive? Is there a lower cost alternative?
I dont want to break the bank on this project, just make the old barn and back yard look neat.

#4599 Fri Mar 04 2005 02:43 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Sounds like it will never be cheap enough for you.

People want money for materials and labour.

Repro glass cylinders are cheap, around 300.00 real ones usually 400-800 except the rare ones like for the double pumps, they can run up to 1000.00 or more for 1 cylinder.

Your best bet, get a pump missing a cylinder and run hail screens.

To try to build one on the cheap, usually looks just that..cheap.
A lot of time and effort expended to build something very few people want, and will you really be happy with it?

Cheap globes are 70.00 , that is very cheap compared to real ones!!

Here is what 500 would bring in the repro market.. about 1- 12 hrs labour but you must deduct parts, material, paint, hose nozzle etc from that leaving even less for labour!

Good Luck on your hunt...

#4600 Fri Mar 04 2005 07:42 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
JM2C. Nobody gets into a hobby to save money. The only cheap hobby that I could think of, would to be collecting business cards. Now I'm not trying to poke fun at you, or discourage a newbie to the hobby. I would also like a nice visible in the front yard for $200-$300. It might happen, I traded a case of beer for a Southwestern 45. It's not a visible, but sweet deals can be found. Heck, somebody here recently found a Tokheim 850 for $100.00.

Dont get discouraged. Go out for a drive. If you see a gas pump, knock on the door. I've never been turned away, and I've met some interesting people. They might have a pump that needs a home. Maybe a calculating pump will reach out and grab you. There's lots of options out there.

Have fun with it!!!

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

#4601 Fri Mar 04 2005 08:54 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Sorry guys but I just cant see spending that kind of money on a lawn ornament.

I did some searching, maybe somone can tell me if this is the only reproductions out there for the visible bowl style pumps or if there is someone else doing it also.

Also, whos is the most realistic or closest to resembleing an actual old time pump (visible bowl only)

I found the following:

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10" (prices are approx. $775-$1245)
2) Cooks ~ 7'6" (price is approx. $599 + $69 S&H)
3)Trip Back ~ (price is approx. $1300)
4) JRD'S ~ (price is approx. $1495 - $2095)

Or are they all correct?
I like the price of the Cooks best (obviously) but I don't want to get something that looks like a water heater and not come close to an original. According to the photos, they all look really really nice. I could see coming home with one of these without having it wrapped upside my head by the misses.
Thanks for the info

#4602 Fri Mar 04 2005 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you mow the yard with a push mower ?
It's only grass !

#4603 Fri Mar 04 2005 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just cut a silhouette out of plywood and paint it--30 bucks.

#4604 Sat Mar 05 2005 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think anyone on this site considers them lawn ornaments!! I kind of take offense to that.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#4605 Sat Mar 05 2005 08:26 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
If you want a new one, you will need to pay. These are new, from dealers with lots of money invested in them. Not to mention, a 7 foot visible looks a little off scale. The repop ones I have seen are silly.

If you don't want to spend the money and you want yard art... find an original! I have pulled several pumps off of old farms are outside old businesses. They are a LOT cheaper than a repop. They will look better too! In may cases you will just need to polish it up and throw some wax on it. You might need to spray paint it, but that is no big deal.
I know where there are at least 3 old visibles in So Cal right now. I could have any of them for under $500. (one for $200) Any of those would be awesome for displaying just as they are. That is in So Cal, the market there is tight, people have been collecting there for years. There is not that much stuff left out there.
I am sure if you ask around, take a few drives to the country, put an ad in the local paper, etc; you will be able to find a better pump at a LOWER price.
It is Saturday... good day for pump hunting. You might like the hunt and you might get a good story to go with your pump!

------------------
WANTED: Sunset & Seaside Gas/Oil stuff!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#4606 Sat Mar 05 2005 03:57 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Aqua..DONT tell everyone the secrets!!

Somehow I get the feeling that the person that started this thread would have trouble with a wild pump! Like not recognize it for the deal it is!!..AND THEN LOWBALL THE OWNER. Usually this happens next, the owner decides to find out what its worth, finds a restored one selling somewhere for 4500.00! Now the pump they wanted 200 for (that got turned down by someone that wasn't sure it was WORTH IT!) is suddenly worth 2500.00 but it is not perfect and not worth it.

Now no one gets it!!

This is why I dont tell people who look to buy (that dont know what the stuff is worth) the secrets to finding stuff!!

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 03-05-2005).]

#4607 Sat Mar 05 2005 05:34 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, I didnt mean to get anyones boxers in a bind.
I use a tractor to mow with, I live in the country.
I have never seen an old pump (visible bowl) sitting around in this area of Ohio whether it was at a farmers, or at an abandoned gas station. I guess someone get to them before me.
If you can get me one from southern Cal. for a couple hundred bucks that generally has everything, I'll buy it. The ones that I have seen at any of the swap meets have been with busted glass, rusted thru sheet metal, missing or busted all to pieces top section and they want over $1500 for them. I just can't see spending that kind of bucks for something in that kind of shape and then spend another $1500 and a years time in repairs for something that is just going to sit outdoors and look pretty and may get damaged again or ripped off.
I am just looking for viable alternatives, you know, options.

Any one got one???

Again, didnt mean to tick anyone off by the "yard ornament" comment but I think you know what I mean.

Thanks again

#4608 Sat Mar 05 2005 07:50 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Pump Jockie;

If you know anyone in Washington state that can pick one up, I have a deal for you!!

I have a Boyle Dayton visible, pretty good skins , real good castings, great blue tinted original glass. really nice bonnet, excellent gallon markers. really nice bronze nozzle for a 1000 US dollars. This pump is 90 % complete, and none of the parts are in poor condition. Just needs to be picked up in BC, 90 miles north of theCan/US border on Hwy 97.

Waaayy better than 1500 for a rough one...

#4609 Sun Mar 06 2005 07:27 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If you want a CHEAP pump for your yard as you say:........Buy this and have at it.Ebay # 387921113 Yard ornament for CHEAP!!!

#4610 Sun Mar 06 2005 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am also new to collecting gas pumps, but your attitude towards those who collect has me stumped. You tell us that you collect old cars and yes I'm sure you do and it is a great hobby. My question to you is.. do you restore the cars in question or do you purchase from someone else? All collectors know that there is a real difference between the two. The collector who gets his hands dirty enjoys his labor of joy, the buyer will never get the same satifaction from the same item. A reproduction item is nice to look at, but isn't the same as the originial. I speak from some experience, I spent 25 years racing and later restoring vintage cars from my mustangs to vintage triumphs to helping my father restore
model A's. On the show circuit and even at some vintage racing events I would run into someone who had purchased on of my cars or one of my father's cars. Over 80% of the time I would either read or hear them tell people who asked that "They" restored the car themself. Ofcourse not one of them could tell you what the "loud pedal" is. Sir, ofcourse I don't know you and I hope you will enjoy this type of collecting, but I think you might want to do an attitute check and not insult those who do put body and soul in their "hobby". Just a suggestion. I know that I learn something important every day on this "post" and look forward to reading input from those who know much more than I do, on this subject.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#4611 Mon Mar 07 2005 10:28 AM
P
OP Offline
P
To all;
You are right, I have no idea what one of these pumps are worth. So when I see one a show that is just about a total wreck, I equate it to a car (and yes I do all of the work myself form stripping down sheetmetal work, engine and auto transmision rebuilds to painting. although I will admit I dont do apolstery).
But if I or you found a say 67 mustang 6cyl. that needed all the body panels replaced, the torque boxes and floor pan rotted out, the engine, tranny, and third member missing, busted glass all around, no hood or deck lid, no seats, dash or headliner and they were asking $20,000 and you were new to the hobbie then what would you think?
I am not really looking for a new hobbie, I got one that I can bairly afford right now.
All I am looking for is something that looks reasonably good, looks like an old pump, that I can set up infront of my shop and enjoy. Call it quick satisfaction. I don't have the time or inclination to do the years of study and searching and building to get the perfect pump. I was just hoping to get something that the average Joe could buy and set it up in a couple of hours and get on with life.

Again, Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Does anyone have a clue as to how close the above mentioned reproduction pumps come close to an actual.

Thanks,
Pump Jockie

#4612 Mon Mar 07 2005 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ONLY, if the car originaly was a SHELBY GT 500, that someone blew the engine apart and replaced it with the 6. Then it might be worth that kind of money.

Gas pumps are like anything else, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

#4613 Tue Mar 08 2005 10:15 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, just got one more question,

Out of all of the reproductions I have found, which of the following is closest to the real thing?

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10"
2) Cooks ~ 7'6"
3)Trip Back ~ ?
4) JRD'S ~ ?

Thanks a bunch

#4614 Tue Mar 08 2005 10:23 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I really dont think most of us look at them reproductions, any more than the car resto guys look at kit cars!

Fact remains, side by side there are huge differences, lots of repros are scaled down and meant to fit indoors. There is though some repros that are the same as original but priced higher.

Bottom line, if you look hard and do it right you can find original for reasonable.
The thrill is in the hunt for most anyway...

#4615 Tue Mar 08 2005 11:13 AM
M
M
Pump Jockie,
I have been looking for a visible to restore for some time (think i'll hold out for the real deal) However, my dad (operates an auto repair shop) also wanted one to park out in front of his business. He is more interested in a low budget / repro option much like you describe. Tipp City, Ohio (home of Benkin Pump) was on my way during a trip i took last fall, so i decided to stop in and look at these Benkin pumps for him. They are sold in an antique store in downtown Tipp City. I must admit that they do look very good in person, up close. I did learn from a very nice lady that worked at the antique store that these are built upon order and she thought it took a few weeks to get one. The contact info she gave me was:
Steve Staub (has a laser cutting business)
937-890-4486

I hope this info is helpful. Good luck on your pursuits.

Mike

#4616 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:38 AM
P
OP Offline
P
To: dodogas;
I am not looking at the real McCoys for a couple of reasons, I don't have the time to didicate for all of the research and education that is required to know all there is about this hobbie. I do however respect and am very glad that there are those that do. It's like going to a car show. You may not like, say, Nova's, or anything GM, but when you see one that is really nice, that someone took the time to restore, you have got to respect thier dedication and hard work that it took to get it to that point. So that I and others may appriciate it. Some collectors of pumps may not like a Texaco pump and think that Shell is the only way to go, well you know what they say, to each thier own.
All I would like to know is, which one is the closest to an actual pump. Just for looking at.
I also cant justify the time to do the search, the time to do the restoration, the money for an actual pump and all of the parts it may need. I plan on putting it outside and if I did all of this and something happend to it I would just die.
You would not part a completely restored 63 splitwindow Vette outside year round would you? Not me. ( no I dont own one either )

to: Mike_in_KY: I can relate to both you and your dad.

I had Benkins listed, and appriciate your thoughts, but I was hoping that someone that had a more direct opinion concerning all the reproductions could guild me in the right direction.
Again I ask, can anyone tell me which pump is closest to an actual pump. Or is there another manufacturer that I have not found and listed, and that you would be willing to share with me that make one closer to an actual pump??

Here is the list again;

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10"
2) Cooks ~ 7'6"
3)Trip Back ~ ?
4) JRD'S ~ ?

Thanks guys

#4617 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:57 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
If all you wanted was yard art why does it need to be restored? Why not just spray paint a real one and call it a day?
As for the education, why? Find any pump that you like and can afford and buy it.
You don't need to know it is super rare or common, in the prices you are looking at any pump is a good deal.
I don't think you will find info here about reproduction pumps. None of us here have them. We collect real ones and have tried to encourage you to so the same. They ARE around, they ARE in your budget. What more can we say?
I have seen a few repop pumps at stores and stuff and to me they look silly. I guess to some they look nice, that is why they are made. I don't know who made the ones I saw, didn't look too close. All the ones I have seen are way too short to look real.
Here is what you should do if you really want a repop. Find out what kind of pump it is supposed to be. Wayne, Tokheim, etc and then come and ask us what the size of a real one is. If the repop you are looking at is 7 feet tall and the real one is 10 feet... then you will know something. Or you can ask the company what the scale is.
If you don't mind the repop being much smaller than an original, buy one. I have seen them on ebay cheap enough.
Contact the guys that sell them. I just don't think the guys on here will have the answers you want. We don't collect repops.
Good luck!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#4618 Wed Mar 09 2005 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump Jockie we aren't trying to tell you what to do. Just pointing out that a 3/5 scale split window is not a sting ray. Now to some people this 3/5 scale may look like the real thing at a distance, but the owner will always know. You sound like someone who takes a great deal of pride in working on your car or cars. Well we feel the same way about the pumps we are rebuilding( my case) and have restored. I raced in SCCA and IMSA for someone else, I wasn't real concerned with what the car looked like as long as I had a chance to take the checkered at the end. When I started my own vintage race team, my attitude changed. My name was on those cars and they better be as good looking as they were fast. Now that I'm older than dirt in racing terms, I know that good looking products are always number 1. If you don't believe me ask Pete Lovely.. he drives a $3 million dollar car at the vintage races and never wins a race, but more people check out his car after a race than any other. Just some food for thought. Oh by the way for those wanting to know what Pete drives it is a '59 Ferrari Testa Rosa. I believe it is one of three still around.

#4619 Wed Mar 09 2005 06:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would not compare the split-window with a common low priced pump.

Somehow the thought of a 1000 pump sitting outside does worry me to much, but of course it depends where it is sitting.

I dont know anything about the pepro pumps you are mentioning, and have no interest in even looking at them.

Several people made suggestions as to how to get real cheaper than repro.

That's all I can do to help...

#4620 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gaspumpheaven.com
They made the WAYNE 515's & WAYNE 60 for the GILMORE station in L.A. at the FARMERS MARKET. They look REAL.

#4621 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:49 PM
D
D
I have a 4 1/2 foot tall texaco visible repop pump in your price range.

#4622 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:43 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
awwwwww man this is EZ
run out in the street with a pry bar & pop a man hole cover off, throw it down in the backyard & attach a 4X4 wood (treated) post to it (straight up)
run down to your local heating & air place & grab a sheet of sheetmetal, wrap it around the post in a cone shape.
zip in screws zip zip zip

then cut some round circles out of wood & cut a groove in each for a piece of plexiglass. (theres your cylinder) attach it to the top of the wood post
run down & grab a BiG cereal bowl (you know the kind) spun stainless real BiG for a mans sized bowl of cereal & you got yourself a top.
put that on upside down, order a 10 dollah globe holder & screw it to the bottom of the cereal bowl
go in the house & tear the railing off the wall, cut it to size & file a few grooves in it & theres your handle. order a couple blank globe lenses, find a cheap globe ring, paint a name on those lenses, brush paint the rest of that baby & waaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaa

at 60 mph on a dark night at 70 feet away it'll look just like a wayne 615 & youll hear tires screeching at all hours of the day & night!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

just a thought!

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP looking & asking around there are thousands of pumps out in the wild yet!!! (THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS)
seek & you shall find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4623 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:48 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
like Dick said:
Park Drive Garage gaspumpheaven has American & wayne visibles "ALLL DONE" PAINTED, with a globe.
plug it in & you are done.
about 1000.00 clams!
THEY LOOK REAL!

#4624 Thu Mar 10 2005 10:31 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I can't thank you guys enough for all of your envaluable information and guidance.
First of all, I have never seen a visible bowl pump just sittng around in an old abandond gas station. I do keep my eye out for one. When I do see one. It is in someones yard, proudly sitting like a big beautiful "YARD ORNAMENT". Whenever I do approach someone about buying one they have sitting around they want an arm and a leg. Like a couple thousand bucks. And that is for a rust bucket.

Kidding aside, I now realize that most of you guys take offence to the reproduction market. But if you did not have some people in that nitch, then everyone would be looking for original parts and most of you would not have your museum pieces.
You did help me by letting me know that some of the repos are not to scale. I did not know that and could not tell that because all of the originals that I have seen usually dont have the tops or anything above the visible bowls. It is hard to tell how big they are when you are only looking at half the pump.
I am not looking to restore one, just put something in the yard. Something that looks better than a painted drainage pipe, water heater, a 4 X 4, a telephone pole, etc.

Thanks Guys

#4625 Thu Mar 10 2005 07:11 PM
K
K
Quote:
They ARE around, they ARE in your budget. What more can we say?

I know where Pump Jockie is coming from. At swap meets you are looking at $800 and up for a rusted out piece of junk with no glass and no guts, dials are shot and hoses and nozzles are gone. Abandoned gas stations do not exist in Ohio. At least I have never seen any in my travels around Ohio. And the stations that are closed have been turned into bait stores or drive thru beer stores years ago. And the pumps that you do see around here ARE lawn ornaments or garage trophies. I lucked out when I got mine. One was a gift from my wife and she did pay pretty good money for it. The Texaco pump was purchased from another collector and although I feel I got a good deal I probably paid a little too much. If I lived in a state that had them for a couple of hundred for a decent pump I would buy quite a few. I might have to make a road trip this summer and get a few out of state and bring them back. I have looked for a reasonable pump for 10 years and inquired in other states but was never on a site like this until recently. The pumps might be out there but around Ohio they are few and far between.

Kevin

#4626 Thu Mar 10 2005 07:44 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Lets turn this around.

Pump Jockie, pretend someone asked you about a Model T or A (Whatever it is that you work on most).

They said they not looking for a 100 pt car, not a runner, just a nice car mostly complete for their yard, like a yard ornament.

Your turn now, what would you tell them after they said they just cannot find them, and they dont want to pay an arm and a leg for one???

#4627 Thu Mar 10 2005 08:43 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree, let's get this into perspective. I've got a few nice pumps that unfortunately I had to pay the going rate for but I,m a car guy too with a few nice rides. I've, got 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket. I don't want much, just Looking for a 67 big block vette, 98% complete and never been hit. Come on some one out there can help me out right????? Oh I forgot, matching numbers would be my preference.

#4628 Thu Mar 10 2005 08:55 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I am not trying to joke in that post, quite serious.

What nobody mentioned perhaps is that globes generally are not included with a pump but it does happen.

With any project the most complete straight piece you can get for you money is the way to go, cheaper in the long run...

#4629 Fri Mar 11 2005 10:23 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys. If you wnat a numbers matching car with all of the guts, then you must have the intention of driving it arent you? I dont have any intentions of pumping a single drop of gas with a pump, hum!!

Now if you just wanted a body fo a car to sit out back, then you can get the sheet metal or fiberglass panels and make it look like a car. Just dont hope to go for a spin. Its a lot cheaper to. It just depends on what you are after.

Some are after museum quality pieces no mater the cost or effort. Cool

Some are just looking for something that gives you that warm fuzzy from the back kitchen window and the street. You know a smile, and say that looks kinda neat, cool

#4630 Fri Mar 11 2005 10:56 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
a guy i know around here told me he finished his new garage & wanted an old gas pump out front.
he asked me how much for a tall (visible) pump, i said tooo much so he said OK & went in & built a NICE LOOING (THING) that resembles a gas pump AND IT IS NICE. globe on top with his business name on it.

it is really nice & he takes pictures of his cars next to it etc... & I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE WAS OFFERED GOOOOD MONEY FOR THE THING by another guy i know.

built for about 100 bucks & people are always complementing him on that work of art!

i dont even need another visible but if there is a decent 1 or 2 or 3 for under a grand within an hours drive from here ill take all right now! ---- i know they are still standing on farms for much less & ill be out hunting them down this spring fer sure!!!

#4631 Tue Mar 15 2005 10:36 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, after all this it simply comes down to this.
I dont need or really want a real VISIBLE BOWL pump.
Why do you ask?
Well I dont want it to get messed up sitting outside. Year in and year out, the kids and there bikes, balls, gravel to throw, the lawn mower to throw rocks and sticks at it, the dog to _iss on it, someone to be tempted to steal it, the wed eater, the rain, snow, hail, lighting (boy that would be a lighting rod wouldnt it).
Any way, yes I would like one that is original for inside the house, one that is protected and looks great, but my first priority is the one I would like to have sitting outside.
How much would you estimate it would cost, TOTAL, from buying the pump (an original VISIBLE PUMP)to getting it completed and setting it up? Please I would love to know, just a SWAG would be helpful. That way I know if I could take the above mentioned chances on an original or just go with what I thought would be the best way and that would be with a replica.

You guys have a lot of background in this and I always look to the ones with experience and knowlege first for guidance and clarity on any subject that I dont. So any help truly is appriciated.

Thanks a bunch guy's,
Pump Jockie

#4632 Tue Mar 15 2005 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
10K plus or minus 9K. SWAG Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#4633 Tue Mar 15 2005 12:23 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Too bad its not a small block chevy you are after, they make a plastic lightweight replica of them , for mockup!! No color choice though.

#4634 Tue Mar 15 2005 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah but they do cost a few $$$ which might fall out the cost window. Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#4635 Tue Mar 15 2005 03:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Exactly my point!! OP already knows you can buy real for less than repop (if you play your cards right), but then says if he got a real one that he would worry too much about!!

Got to wonder if the everyday car they have is kept in a concrete bunker!!

Most collectors either decide they have a safe place to display outside or not.

If you are going to lose sleep over something happening to a 200-1000 $ pump, dont leave anything outside!

Maybe someone knows where I can get a great cheap replica of a Cord automobile, need not run, just going to sit on the lawn..dont want to spend a lot on it..but I would like a choice of colors!!

#4636 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:20 PM
P
OP Offline
P
T roach, Thanks that really narrows it down.
Dodo, no thanks, ill pass on the small block chevy, I dont think it would look like a pump.
The cost window, I dont think $400-$500 is out of the question. Especially when I get a ballpark price of $10,000 +/- $9000.
Dodo, Again, how does anyone know what to spend on something when you get answers like the above? and to answer your question, the car is not sitting in a bunker. But then again it aint a pump or collectable.
Again I reiterate, I am not a collector, Dont have the time or inclination to be one.
I just like the looks of the pumps, dont you?

I can line you up with a fiberglass body of say a 34 ford, chevy, or any number of "repops" that people purchase. Are you interested?

Again, what REALISTICALLY can a person expect to spend on a VISIBLE BOWL PUMP restoration. I am just trying to justify it, is that hard to understand. I am not trying to compare it to a car, you guys are.

HELP!!

#4637 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get a real one without a cylinder. Put a hail guard on it. Rattle can it. Decal it and repop globe. Bolt it down and knock the threads off. DONE!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#4638 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:27 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Keithia, Cool, do you have any pics? how much? I know its a dumb question but what do you mean by Rattle can it, an knock of the threads?
Where do you get a cylinder?
Thanks

#4639 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Pump Jockie, YOU compared leaving a pump out to leaving a 63 split window out...

Now the real cost starts at 0000.000 and goes up to 10K. But we already told you that.

Many pumps have been found that display nice as is, some even have globes.. its just like buying an old car. Repop if you cannot find the piece. Original if you can afford it, which may be cheaper than repop.

You should easily get most of a real one less glas for 500, or less that is mostly complete, but we already mentioned that.

We told you all that, sounds like you really want a repo mfged just for you with color choice at a price cheaper than cost of mfg!!

Try building one, may be the only way you will realize that....

#4640 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:39 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
You dont get a cylinder, that what we are trying to tell you!! Cylinder is worth more than the rest of it!! And no cheap substitute!!

#4641 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:49 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Spray paint rattles when you shake it = rattle can
after its bolted down with the nuts tightened you cut off the threads sticking up from the nuts making it hard to steal. = knock the threads off.

I KNOW Kmann has your solution i just know he does!!! hahahaha!
wwwwwwwwwheres Kmann?!

#4642 Tue Mar 15 2005 06:19 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Dodo, would you set a museum quality pump outside?
I would not set a 63 outside.
Now the cost. I can afford $0,000.00 but it would be a stretch to go $10,000.00. Can you afford it?

I have kept an eye out for an original pump for several years, approx 10 years and have yet to find one that wasnt just a rusted piece of junk without any parts for a min. of $1500.00. Am I to understand that this is the going rate for one of these?
I would really like to buy one, but at what cost?

Oh, yeah, thanks for the info. I (as a rookie in this) did not know that the cylinder was a hard part to find. Now, are they hard to find, or are there repops and they are just real expensive. I have not found any but then again I am new to this sport.

Tom,thanks for the translation, and Kmann is????

By the way, dont you brad the bolts or at least stake the nuts?

#4643 Tue Mar 15 2005 06:25 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
buy mine for $1500 obo

not a rusty heap, clean AZ native

good bowl, levels and skins

------------------

Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
#4644 Tue Mar 15 2005 06:35 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
You have found cheaper I offered you the same as above, rougher skins but has a nozzle for way less than that one, if someone could pick it up.

I already mentioned that the glass is generally 400-800 & up for original.
Repop glass is around 250, acrylic around 100 something, all of those are without shipping, real glass is hard to ship(pricey).

Which is why you cannot build one cheap, but without cylinder but with screens, from 30 ft you cant tell...the glass is the only thing easily broken.

#4645 Tue Mar 15 2005 06:50 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Dodo, sorry I dont recall you having one for sale, old age, you know. Can you tell me more?
Thanks

#4646 Tue Mar 15 2005 07:09 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Page #2, right after you asked if anyone has one..no pics..but same as that other pump.

#4647 Tue Mar 15 2005 07:34 PM
Z
Z
Pump Jockie put your email address in your profile so i can send you some info if you would like it. I suggested this in my first post along with the picture. I make those. Both short and tall. I could get you into something i am sure with work from you on your end. And anyone who thinks repo pumps are junk and not to scale needs to take alook at mine. Every piece will interchange with the original made like the original. Rant over!!!

#4648 Tue Mar 15 2005 07:45 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Enough speculation. Here's a real live example. This is a real T-176 I bought locally here in AZ without a cylinder, and the cheapest I could probably do it (Not that this is how I am doing it but could)Assuming No Cylinder at purchase. Add $500.00 for an original glass cyl, $250 to $300 for a glass repo cyl, or $165 for Plastic cyl or like suggested just use a mesh hail screen for el-cheapo. This was a solid no rust through pump with only a few minor small dents and as you can see was missing $110 in big stuff ie the door and handle.

Pump - $475
Hose - $20.00
Nozzle off Ebay - $35.00
Handle - $55.00
Door - $55.00
Tags - $20.00
Rattle Paint - $25.00
Decal - $10.00
13 1/2" Globe - $70.00
Misc - $35.00 (screws, sandpaper, bondo, etc)

For a grand total of $800.00.

T-176's are bullit proof with real thick sheet metal and could take any rocks or mower thrown objects quite well. Add 5 years and you will probably double your money or better. The big deal is you have to find one locally as shipping will kill you on pumps.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by jrwienri (edited 03-16-2005).]

#4649 Wed Mar 16 2005 10:59 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Zip, that is a beautiful looking pump. So you make them yourself? Wow!!!
Do you have a web site? I assume from your response that yours are an exact replica of an actual pump? Please exuse my ignorance of the subject, but which model does it replicate? Even my wife said "That's nice".
I don't think she gets to exited over gas pumps.

Dodo, Thanks to you for the reminder. Sorry I forgot.
Is it safe to assume that what jrwienri said is true, that shipping these pumps will kill you? Local is not an option as was said earlier.

Are any of you guys vendors and will you be at the Dayton show?

#4650 Wed Mar 16 2005 07:20 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
If $200 to $300 won't kill you then it's not safe to assume but the last 2 I have shipped came from South Dakota to Arizona and the other from texas to Arizona so only half way from sea to sea and both were pushing $300 bucks. The sellers had to drop them off and I had to pick them up at the forward air freight terminal. One was a Tok 620 which is about as big as you can get and the other was a Wayne 60.
Jeff

#4651 Wed Mar 16 2005 07:52 PM
P
OP Offline
P
jrwienri, Yeh thats expensive to ship but not considering trying to drive it yourself.
You say you have a couple of pumps for sale?
Can you attach some pics and information?
I could be interested if you are willing to part with them.
Thanks,
Pump Jockie

#4652 Wed Mar 16 2005 08:54 PM
D
D
Last year I bought a restored t-176 ,done in blue crown for $1300. It has original blue cyl.Got it at an aumann auction near chicago. that's pretty cheap for a restored pump.they are out there. I visited a friend in cridersville ohio and saw at least 10 pumps on the way from Illinois to ohio. You can pick up a reasonable pump in ohio at one of the gas shows. they are in ohio too. just bite the bullet and do it. Mike

#4653 Fri Mar 18 2005 08:48 AM
T
T
In the classified section there is an add for 7'6" reproductions for $599.00

#4654 Fri Mar 18 2005 10:11 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Todd, yeah, I saw it, but I have been asking the question all along of which of all of the reproductions are the closest to an original and I get a lot of feedback concerning buying a real pump and poo pooing reproductions. So far, I still dont know which is closest to real. And all I was after was size and shape. I could really care less if it has all of the guts inside it.
After all, I am not going to open the thing up, nor will I ever try and pump anything out of it. I just want it to sit in one spot and look pretty.

Thanks,
Pump Jockie

#4655 Fri Mar 18 2005 11:17 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Pump Jockie,

I have read alot of post's in this thread I think that we have covered each of your options in great length. As I see you have two options, save some cash for a while and buy the real deal or spend your $800 bucks now on a repo that resembles a visible. Either options are good but seriously just make up your mind.

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#4656 Fri Mar 18 2005 11:50 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree Scootdog. I have never seen a simple topic question garner so many responses. And to beat it all, EVERY answer has been met with an excuse!

#4657 Fri Mar 18 2005 01:20 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Gary, Scootdog, et.al. I agree 150%. How long are we going to have to read this. We are already into page 6 with 75 msges. on a stupid question that doesn't seem to have an answer...... When someone asks a question regarding a part, restoration, paint, etc. etc. we might get, maybe, 2-6 replies.. I once asked about a Tok. 610 and never ever got an answer to the question. Zero, Zilch, Nothing..... and it goes on and on and on...

Sorry for my rant and rave, but I had to say something when I saw 75 replies to this, and I'm about to break my keyboard, I'm peckiing so HARD... NUFF Said....

------------------
Regards ....
Jerry J .....

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
#4658 Fri Mar 18 2005 03:36 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thank you, thank you. I too couldn't believe how far this thing has gone. I posted some pics of original globes still on pumps in the field with no response. And this? Plus there's another one going too! Somebody show me some Frontier. Please!!

#4659 Fri Mar 18 2005 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Horse to water--dogs thru hoops --chicken or the egg-we all need coops!

#4660 Fri Mar 18 2005 07:56 PM
Z
Z
I tried and now give up. This reminds me of dealing with people at swap meets. Sh!t or get off the pot!!!

#4661 Sat Mar 19 2005 06:55 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Well sorry to beat a dead horse, but the question still remains to be answered.
I have asked this several times in previous pages but I still get a response back that someone thinks that I should buy an original pump.
Again I state, I am not looking for another hobby, I got to many irons in the fire to take on another hobby. I just wanted somthing that looked like a pump, that I could set it, and forget it.
Perhaps if the original question was answered, then this thread would not have taken on a life of its own. Who knows?

Anyway, I will post it again in the following just in case someone missed it or does not want to read all of the pages again. I wouldnt blame them. So here we go again~

"I did some searching, maybe somone can tell me if this is the only reproductions out there for the visible bowl style pumps or if there is someone else doing it also.

Also, whos is the most realistic or closest to resembleing an actual old time pump (visible bowl only)

I found the following:

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10" (prices are approx. $775-$1245)
2) Cooks ~ 7'6" (price is approx. $599 + $69 S&H)
3)Trip Back ~ (price is approx. $1300)
4) JRD'S ~ (price is approx. $1495 - $2095)

Or are they all correct?"

I to am tired of asking the same old question and still getting the same old answer, go buy an original.

Thanks guys for your responses and patience.

Pump Jockie

#4662 Sat Mar 19 2005 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one... go to a coke cola website and start telling them you just want a coke machine and you are more interested in a repop than original. Repop's are fine... if you don't care about a pump than just buy a repop and put it were ever. If you want to at least get your money back out of your investment in 5-10 years buy an original. Put it outside... it sat outside for 70 years whats another 10 going to hurt.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#4663 Sat Mar 19 2005 07:58 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I really don't know why I'm even replying (again). In your original question you stated "I really don't care what material it is made of or how close to a perfect reproduction it is, I just want something that will resemble a pump from the house/street"

Every possible solution has been brought up to you and every one refuted. A very cheap unrestored pump is not nice enough, a repo is not original enough, a restored one is too expensive. You say you don't even care what it was made of, but an answer to that was also brushed off. You will NOT get what I assume you want in an original pump. Zip has contacted you (I think) about a repo that he posted a pic of. Why haven't you gotten it? "Originality" doesn't matter to you, remember?

Go buy a reproduction pump and be done with it. Besides...you don't deserve an original!!!

#4664 Sat Mar 19 2005 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump Jockey,

Why not let this "puppy" die? You aren't interested in a new "lawn scupture" anymore, instead this is your way of "jerking" someone's chain. GO back and read your first request for info. "Don't need original or high end repro", but you don't want anything less. Hell, you can buy a 7' gumball machine on e-bay, ship for less than $100. Put in the back yard and let the crows have their way with it. Please let this thread die. I know that I'm helping keep it on life support, but it is time to pull the plug. This subject is not only done, but "charred" as well. I promise that I will let it die from my end.

#4665 Sat Mar 19 2005 06:17 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Is this guy for real?

------------------

#4666 Sat Mar 19 2005 10:37 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Before this dies (and I really do think it needs to die!), here's an idea for PJ;

Make a visible replica out of wood. Base it on a six or eight sided pump (American, Fry, etc.), the base can be wood, the skins can be 1" thick lumber with compund mitres, make a hail guard out of aluminum expanded metal, forget a cylinder, use 3/8" all thread for the cylinder bolts, order a repro dome (they're affordable), do a super job priming the completed pump, brush paint about three coats of oil based enamel for the finish. In a few years when the finish starts looking crappy you can repaint it.
I believe this pump could be built fairly cheap, you may even have enough money left over to put a repro globe on it.
This is not my idea of a pump, being the purist I am but it may be just what you're looking for.
Just a thought.

Neal

#4667 Sun Mar 20 2005 09:26 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I think we can all see what this guy really wants! He thinks that if he whines long enough that someone with a good heart will just GIVE him a "starter pump" Fat chance at this point of the game buddy......Give up!!!!!

#4668 Sun Mar 20 2005 09:52 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Lots of cheap 12 and 16 inch replicas on ebay, wuups I forgot they want one that does not pump!!

Actually I think less than 1 % of visibles actually pump...

#4669 Sun Mar 20 2005 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
REALLY sounds more like a 4 year old kid in a CANDY store with only a NICKLE to spend !
AND all candy is a DIME !!!

#4670 Mon Mar 21 2005 10:56 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks alot guys, but lets get the facts straight.
First
Jarvis
1)I am not worried about getting my money back. You are correct, If I were then I would get an original and restore it.
2) When I am ready to purchase a Coke machine it will probaly a repop. Do you know where I can get one?

Gary
1) I did not ask for an unrestored pump.
2) I did not say that a repo is not close enough. I did ask if anyone knew which is closest to an original, after all I am not the expert in these, you are. And if I am going to spend the money I would like to get one that is as close to original as possible.
3) As far as what it is made of I wanted to get a little closer to an actual pump than that of using a piece of colvert drainage pipe, a water heater, a 4X4, etc.
4)No one has contacted me concerning a pump (albeit I did not enter my e-mail address either and may not with the kind of hostilities I am recieving)

Bob
1) Yes I am interested in one, just not in getting into another hobby.
2) No I am not doing this to "jerk someones chain". That is not me, sorry you got someone else in mind.

Thunder
1)Yes

Gas pump freak
1) Thank you for the input, I was just hoping that someone out there actually made something up.

I appriciate your thought even though I am not a purist

gasgeezer
1) I am not whining for a freebie, In fact that thought never even crossed my mind. With the cost of a pump I think anyone that even had an incling of that thought would be in for a sad reality check.

dodogas
1) a 12 or 16 inch pump may get a little dwarfed in the back yard, A bit hard to see if you know what I mean.
2) Well at least you got the "dont pump" part.

Dick Bennett

Yeah, a bit older than 4 butI do have a budget to consider, you know, home mortgage, car payment, utilities, kids and wife etc.

I too will let this thread die.

I want to thank all of you for your help though. Your help has been invaluable.

Pump Jockie

#4671 Mon Mar 21 2005 01:19 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
WELL DONT GO AWAY MAD! WE'RE ALL NICE GUYS!

you only live once, if you want a pump get a pump. (YA GOTTA HAVE ONE THEY ARE SOOOOO COOOOL TO HAVE AROUND!!!)

rob a bank, sell your car, pimp the wife, get a part time drivin a cab, whatever its going to take.
a visible in the yard is a MUST HAVE!

send a pic when you get it we love looking at pumps!

#4672 Mon Mar 21 2005 07:09 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I find it strange that there in no preference in brand or a certain look. Ie, A Wayne 615, ot a G&B or a Boyle-Dayton.

Sorta like asking about a vintage car from that era, no brand just a 20's car or a 30's car.. Just makes it real hard to make comparisons.

At least 2 pretty complete visibles were offerd in this thread plus The reproductions of which I think there were at least 2 choices.

Most important buy something you like the looks of, the rest is a bit less important.
The downside, most dont stop at 1 pump, but are not complaining either..JMO...

#4673 Tue Mar 22 2005 10:50 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Tom, I wont go away mad, I know there are a lot of people that are passionate about there hobbies. Thats cool.
I am going to get a pump and I will try and post some pics of it/them when I get it done.
Thanks

Dodogas,
Since I am new to this hobbie, I do not know all of the different brands of pumps. I do like the visible bowl style though. I just dont know the brands of them and there various nuances. I was hoping that I could get that kind of information here.
Personally I would not know a wayne from a boyle or a g&b or an mouse

Thanks,
PJ

#4674 Tue Mar 22 2005 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow

[This message has been edited by Gas Pump Rob (edited 03-23-2005).]

T
T
I built a Gilbarco 86 to put outside. Then I could not bring myself to do put it in the rain when I was finished. So I built a home made visible pump out of a brake drum, acetylene tank, a propane tank and some expanded metal to simulate a hale screen. I get compliments all of the time on the creation. I call it yard art. Almost everyone thinks it was a real pump back in the day. I know the serious collectors will laugh, but at least I do not have to worry about it being out in the weather.

012.JPG
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Okay, here's what I made out of mostly all scrap materials. PVC drain pipe, cut down aluminum lamp shade, and other non rusting materials. I did buy a plexiglass cylinder. Other parts were some leftovers from other old pumps that I once had. Globe is reproduction. I built two of these, one of which has sat outside for over 10 years. No rust! Get creative & start looking around for stuff that will work.

fake visible.jpg fake visi.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man, this thread is 10 years old and Dicks comments are still funny!

Have gas all the time
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved