Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45799 Mon Apr 10 2006 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I went checking out paint today for my f
1st resto on my wayne 80.The price the guy quoted me about made me fall off my chair.the paint is mobil red in single stage w/hardners.It's called del fleet esentials paint code 75570. The price quoted was $243.43 for 3 quarts.That seems expensive I was guessing about 100-$125.The white in the same type of paint is $79.20 for 3 quarts that seems reasonable.Paint code 8321
Am i way out of touch or was this guy on crack?

I haven't painted in about 15 years but wow.What do you all pay for your paint?What type do you use?The last time I painted I used Dupont's centari is that still available?Please help.Thanks,
Tom

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#45800 Mon Apr 10 2006 06:46 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Tom,
I just got done painting two gargoyle mobiloil oil cabinets. I used mobil red in PPG american finishes single stage, $140 a gallon. A better paint is PPG concept, about $200 a gallon.For some reason reds are alot more $ then other colors.
Jim

#45801 Mon Apr 10 2006 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
since I retired I have opened a paint/powdercoating business. Red is your most expensive color because it has the most pigment in it....folowed by yellow and orange...try a dupont/omni...in base / clear coat same color but alot cheaper. I would only use this if you plan on displaying your pump inside. Price is about $17-$25 a quart thats more than enough for the base......with hardner / reducer etc...about $65 a quart...one quart is more than enough for a pump....don't forget the clear!!

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
#45802 Mon Apr 10 2006 07:34 PM
Online Cool
Reds always cost more and the worst part is some of them hide poorly so they need more coats. A quart should do it if you don't spray too much inside the pump or out into the air. It's expensive enough, so don't buy 3 quarts unless you need it. But if you ever need 3 quarts, check to see if a gallon might be around the same price.
It is possible that was the correct price for that paint. But that guy could be on crack, too.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#45803 Mon Apr 10 2006 07:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Tom,
I've been selling PPG paint for 23 years and we've had some of the highest percentage price increases and more frequent than I've ever seen. Pretty much all automotive and fleet paints are petroleum based and packaged in steel cans(double digit price increases for both over the last 1-1/2yrs.)
DelFleet Essentials is a high solids low voc polyurethane enamel designed for fleet
applications. It covers better than most conventional paints,but also dries slowly. Yes,reds are nearly always more expensive than whites.I believe what Jim is calling PPG's American finishes is like or is the same as the Omni line of PPG paint. It is an acrylic urethane and is more cost effective. It doesn't cover as fast,hence a lower cost.
Jim is right about the Concept acrylic urethane. It's one of the best finishes for single stage solid colors, but it is more expensive.
I guess that everyone has their own personal preference for brand,type and quality of paint that they prefer to use.
Centari is Dupont's acrylic enamel. It is slower drying than acrylic urethanes.Some people are use to spraying acrylic enamels though and prefer to use them. PPG increased
their Delstar acrylic enamel by 15% last price increase because they want it to go away like straight enamel did years ago.
I know that a lot of people like to use
base coat/clear coat paint on pumps, but I
personally don't see the need. A high quality single stage paint has just as good of gloss as bc/cc. All you accomplish(in my opinion) is make us paint jobbers more money
as bc/cc is more expensive to shoot.If you are shooting a metallic color, by all means you should spray bc/cc,but not on solid colors.
Pat

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
#45804 Mon Apr 10 2006 09:33 PM
P
P
After reading Puregas's comment on BC/CC being unnecessary, I remembered this topic: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
I'm actually going to paint my 66 Tempest using this 'system', and now I don't have any reason to keep putting off painting my pump!

#45805 Mon Apr 10 2006 11:17 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
To save some materials look in to a tintable sealer which is what I use you can get close to youre color and then wont need as many coats of the color. I use base clear on all of mine and I use omine base its cheap and does good. It takes not quite a quart to do inside and out. I have a red I had mixed I use for mobile, some red seems quite orange when yo spray it. do the inside first to make sure you like the color. If its going to sit outside I would consider base clear, red seems to oxidise faster than any color. the clear will last longer and you can buff it more times.
This is just what works for me, and I am no paint expert. the only color I prefer not to clear is black it is much deeper in a single stage. Laquer black is the best but getting harder to find.
Good luck you will enjoy it.
Brandon

#45806 Tue Apr 11 2006 12:12 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Peter Niessen, are you talking about the Tremclad system?

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#45807 Tue Apr 11 2006 01:06 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I always primer and sealer with a grey color.Sealing with a color that is close to what you are spraying does not always cover faster,its something about the neutral color of grey that covers faster,Jim might be better to explain this?For my personal pumps I found a brand called american finishes,cheapest paint I have ever found and lays down slicker than sikkins.About 40 a gallon and they have a very bright red.

------------------

#45808 Tue Apr 11 2006 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom:

Save your $$'s and only get a quart of the red and the white. You'll have a bunch left if you're using a HVLP gun (and you should be!).

I personally don't shoot the inside with the expensive paint. If you have a steady hand and can control your 'wet' edge - you can get away with using Rustoleum in a spray can. At $7 or $8 a can, you can keep it in stock and ready to go. Just use a complimentary color or black/white.

You will have to mask off the outside of your panels - but it's still way cheaper than shooting $100/quart paint on something hardly anyone will ever see.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com
Always buying Ethyl Globes, Ethyl Single Lenses & Misc Ethyl Items.

#45809 Tue Apr 11 2006 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and opinions on this topic it is greatly appreciated.thank you.

Got Socony???

Tom
#45810 Tue Apr 11 2006 08:17 PM
P
P
Yep, Tremclad. I guess I should've been more clear. I'll post some pics of the car (and eventually the pump) when I'm done. Just waiting for a little warmer weather. After going through the checkout at Home Depot I was only $60 poorer! It might not win me any awards...

#45811 Tue Apr 11 2006 09:06 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Tremclad is found in Canada, is there another name for it down here in the states. I would like to try it on a pump that I'm keeping out side.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#45812 Wed Apr 12 2006 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked at that post above about the tremclad. VERY interesting. Actually printed off a bunch of it for closer reading. I have an old refrigerator that I want to redo and think I will try this out. What the heck, it doesn't cost hardly anything. The American version is rust oleum.

I'll keep everyone updated as I try this out.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#45813 Wed Apr 12 2006 07:27 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
BIG CHEESE HAS PUT A PAINT LINE OUT [NASTALGIA COLOR] IT IS A ACRYLIC URETHANE ENAMEL ..... and the prices are rightous, a 1qt kit in red is 40.00 and that inc. 1qt red . hardner, reducer, mixing cup ,strainers ,and a paint stick. we also carry the big cheese clear coat,. call for more info. cheese 810 225 1886

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved