Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458769 Wed Aug 28 2013 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hay guys I'm looking for some up to date value and price guides if you have some send a pm. Thanks.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion all of the Petro books that list values are about out of date as soon as they are released. I have about 30 petro books and use them as a guide only. Auction results are all over the place it seems anymore. I would recommend the second edition of the gas pump book and Dan Matthews book. A second edition should be out soon

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
In my opinion all of the Petro books that list values are about out of date as soon as they are released. I have about 30 petro books and use them as a guide only. Auction results are all over the place it seems anymore. I would recommend the second edition of the gas pump book and Dan Matthews book. A second edition should be out soon

Wes makes a valid point . I find looking at auctions the best way to see about what something "MIGHT" bring . The market is in disarray , more so now because of the sucky economy . There are some bargains out there right now , you just need to be patient and not be in a hurry to have everything at once . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #458819 Wed Aug 28 2013 01:39 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Speaking as the guy who wrote a number of those price guides, I would tend to agree very strongly. The various publishers insisted that we put pricing in the early books, thinking that they would not sell without it. While the pricing was based on criteria that was valid at the time it was written, it was often a year or more before a book was released after it was "finished", and some of those books we are approaching 20 years old. Only the globe e-book from last year is reasonably current, and the pricing criteria used in the book was the most scientific that we had ever used.
One major find of a number of examples of a particular piece tends to drop the price for that item dramatically, whereas trends in collecting tend to raise prices. For example, 20 years ago oval Capco globes were considered too new to be worth much, but now many examples with good graphics bring serious money. Independents were not popular years ago, except among collectors from the area where the company was based. Today, items from independents, fewer in number, often exceed similar Mobil, Texaco or Sinclair items. Auctions, too, can be an indication of pricing, but results are easy to manipulate. A good rule of thumb is an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - and what it is worth to you is limited by what you are willing to pay.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Wayne for all the info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved