Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45903 Tue May 28 2002 11:46 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Great Web Site.

I am interested in purchasing a vintage gas pump for my business. Is there any one out there who can tell me what make, model, and color of pump I would be looking for, If I wanted to find a vintage racing pump from the late 1960's or early 1970's? I believe the gas at the time would have been the Sunoco 260 or Cam 2. Any help with this information or contacts with knowledge of it would be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#45904 Tue May 28 2002 09:45 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The pump of choice for your particular era would have to be the Custom Blender that Sunoco used, I believe they were mfg. by Wayne. I worked in a Sunoco station while going to school in the early '70's, and every guy in the area with a muscle car was in there filling up with 260 on Sat. nite for the drag races outside of our town on the state highway. Paying 51.9 cents for your Torino GT was the 'wow' of all the guys in the station!! The pumps were Sunoco blue and yellow, with chrome trim and the Sunoco diamond decal. I would think a nice one could be picked up rather cheaply as that was not all that long ago...they should be abundant...

#45905 Wed May 29 2002 09:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A Sunoco custom blend pump just went on ebay tonight, item #2108425153 Good Luck, and welcome to a great hobby...........Lance

#45906 Mon Jun 03 2002 08:44 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the reply. I do believe that the Wayne pump is what I am looking for. The pump, however, I do not believe is a blend pump. The pump I would want would be one that would be at a drag track which would only have the 260. Does anyone know of such a pump. I have spoken to others in the drag field and they verrified this.

Eric

#45907 Mon Jun 03 2002 09:47 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If it only pumped 260 then it could be any pump made by any pump company. My suggestion is to purchase my new Gas Pump Identification book and see if you can find the pump you remember in it. For more information see my website: www.crspub.com
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#45908 Mon Jun 03 2002 01:11 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the reply. I think that may be just what I am looking for. It appears that your book goes up to the 1965 Vintage. I unfortunately am looking for a pump a little later than that. Would you know off hand what pumps would have been available that I may be looking for. For instance, if it is a Wayne pump what model would it be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

#45909 Mon Jun 03 2002 03:01 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You are assuming that the pump you remember was brand new the year you saw it. Pumps remained in service for many years. Your request for information could cover 50 pumps and we are only assuming it was made by Wayne. I have never seen a pump that was just made to pump Sunoco 260 gasoline.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#45910 Wed Jun 05 2002 09:36 AM
A
A
hello forumn,
AS a kid her in Michigan I can remember Tokheim 39's at our local drag strip in sixties and 70's. Theese were pure oil and then later changed to unocal. Like jack said, pumps were used for many years. The 39 would fit the bill nicely. Pure firebird globes and signs are available now. Even the win-lights were the 6foot diameter gas signs with the blazing arrow, which I'm working on getting!! Any takers?
Regards.
Al

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved