Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#459365 Thu Aug 29 2013 08:47 PM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Was able to help my good friend Geno get this 36" flying A sign for his collection... picked it up Monday, Thanks Geno ;-)

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG
Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Aug 30 2013 09:59 AM. Reason: Moved from Showcase to its own topic in General Discussion
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Boy what a great sign, now I am really jealous. Remember what Indiana Jones once said "That belongs in a museum!"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow!! Either your posting a stolen sign or one that you got them to sell after I won the auction. I can tell by the stains. I bought it for a $4000 buy it now and before I could pay the seller said it was stolen. I asked for a copy of the police report and never heard anything. Geno has been after mine(this was an upgrade) for years. Hope you and Geno are happy you got the guy to cancel my buy. I'll be giving Geno a call later today you can bet on that.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Greg, this is rediculous! Another oldgas member talking people into selling an item EVEN AFTER THEY ALREADT SOLD IT ON EBAY!
Here is auction Greg's Sign on ebay He won Fair and Square
The seller told greg it was stolen!
You should be ASHAMED of yourself Visaliabob and Geno!!!
Geno, how much did you pay visaliabob to get the sign for you? This is just soooo wrong!
Same thing happened to me Greg on my gulf sign eric grinder ended up with a week later! Sketchy people offering sellers more money ONCE the item ALREADY SOLD!!!
I havent posted in weeks and NOW YOU SEE WHY!
Lurking crooks playing on BOTH sides of the street!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! I couldn't even bring myself to display that sign after something like that! How could you even feel proud to own it??
Someone needs to think this over as to what they have done here.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #459428 Fri Aug 30 2013 07:38 AM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
alright guys before this gets outa control, here is what happened..

I noticed the sign on ebay a day after the auction ended, I called Geno to find out if he bought it and he said no, so he emailed the seller and asked if the buyer backed out he would be interested in buying it, later that day Geno called me and asked if I would pick it up for him as he was informed that the buyer had backed out...

you guys really think I would post this buy of the week on here if I felt that something was done wrong..

The seller of this item on ebay obviously has no integrity and deserves negative feedback,, his ebay name is 629liz he says he lives in Fresno and I went to Hanford to pick it up for Geno

Last edited by visaliabob; Fri Aug 30 2013 07:40 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is what seller said to me. I'm reporting him to ebay. On hold now. Will talk to Geno later. I have his # in my phone.

Dear bustermonty,

The sign was stolen from the front of my house unfortunately. I had it hanging next to my garage door and someone climbed up on a ladder and took the thing! The sign has been a staple of my collection and I was ready to pass it on and sadly some low life decided to steal it. I filed a police report and hopefully something turns up. Sorry that I had to back out on the deal if the sign is recovered then I will honor our transaction and sell you the sign

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sounds like a great opportunity for Geno to be a stand-up guy, and sell the sign to Greg...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #459438 Fri Aug 30 2013 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds to me like the ebay seller is at fault unless Geno paid more than $4K for the sign. Then bad on both of them. According to the info presented, I myself do not see where Visilbob did anything wrong.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
gulfiend! #459439 Fri Aug 30 2013 08:21 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...sounds like a great opportunity for Geno to be a stand-up guy, and sell the sign to Greg...

Yup.

gulfiend! #459443 Fri Aug 30 2013 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Yep, but for what price? the pos seller has his money... which has to be more than the original sale of $4k. So does Geno sell the sign to Greg for the price he paid, or for the price that Greg legitimately won the item for?

very interesting scenario this whole thing is.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #459446 Fri Aug 30 2013 08:37 AM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
I personally handed the person $4k for the sign and Geno paid me my $4k back..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& the Drama continues:
Auction ended Saturday the 24th with a buy it now & you were there Monday the 26th to pick up the sign. Sounds like a quick interception of Greg's sign. You outta give yourself a pat on the back, a true friend of Gino's.
Do you seriously believe anybody is buying your story?
I was born at night but not last night!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sounds like it would be easy enough to untangle this: all Geno needs to do is sell Greg the sign for $4K, and everyone's even...Greg gets the sign he should have in the first place, the eBay seller would get his negative feedback, and hopefully loss of his eBay privileges...heck, maybe Geno could even get the sign he's been trying to get from Greg for years, since it's an upgrade...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #459457 Fri Aug 30 2013 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Talked with Gene, ball is in his court. He had no idea seller lied to him and said I backed out. I asked him to consider the situation and left it at that. I should ad that in all my conversations with Gene he has been an honest credible individual. At least if he does nothing I know he got the sign he's been searching for. I know it means a lot to him due to a personal family tragedy and I can live with that. It's the seller who I'm really ***** at and explained it all to ebay. Probably a wrist slap offense in their eyes. And Bob cruising sold listing trying to change outcomes is not a very good practice. I hope that's not an indication of where things are going. I think this really crosses the line. To take something from someone who has legitimately one.

gulfiend! #459459 Fri Aug 30 2013 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I would think that would be obvious!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
gulfiend! #459465 Fri Aug 30 2013 09:50 AM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Wow I do a favor for a friend and look at all the drama and someone calling me a *****, been in this business WAY TOO LONG to operate in the manner in which you are suggesting.. It was only 20 minutes from my house and nothing was done wrong, starting to think that this site is way to much of a sewing circle for me, I dont know about the rest of you but you probably should be thinking about the seller who lied, said they filled a police report and then sold it for the same exact price that was listed for the buy it now when they said the buyer backed out.. I'm thinking the seller did it so he did not have to pay the 10% to ebay and the 3% to paypal... he saved over $400 in fees

For those that have done business with me know that I am a stand up guy and operate in a honest reputable way and will continue to do so.. If you choose not to do business with me over this it will be your loss as I have done nothing wrong..

This is the last I am going to comment on this subject

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The seller saved $500 here. I think that you are in the clear Bob. As greg said, the ball is in Geno's court.

Scott Wright
powerlube #459469 Fri Aug 30 2013 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well it's a complicated world we live in. I take Geno for his word. He sold a tremendous amount of items (a 30" Hancock curb sign among them, said it was going to PA now on a resell) almost $7000 worth(his cost) for the quick 4k to buy the Flying A. That is how much this sign means to him. It's a long story but let's say I'm happy he got the sign. It was better than the one he'd been trying to get from me. For what it's worth, it would have been an upgrade for me to look at (another sign on the wall) For Gene it has a far deeper, more personal meaning.

PS. Let Bob off the hook he did nothing wrong

powerlube #459470 Fri Aug 30 2013 10:15 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Seems like the seller could be in big trouble if he did in fact file a police report. Last I knew filing a false report was definitely against the law and would not be too difficult to prove in this case.

Bill Fortune
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Nice pick, great sign Visaliabob.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
It's not the purchaser nor the pick up person,it's the dishonest people that do things like this on EBAY and many othere areas in our society.Honesty and integrity are going by the way side.Greed and dishonesty are rampant.A mans word used to be good enouth.Not now.Even written agreement's are suspect nowdays.Sadly this is the state of America.Too many trying to beat the system in so many ways.Thank goodness there are still many many people whom you can trust and are honest.Sad story , but anyone whom has dealt with EBAY buying or selling long enough you will eventually run across a crook or two!Just ask me.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #459516 Fri Aug 30 2013 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems like there's three victims here, one crook. Greg I applaud your attitude re: the disposition of the sign. Geno is a very good person and has a deeply personal reason for looking for this sign, he did nothing wrong unless you count believing someone's lie. Those that passed judgement on anyone but the ebay seller owe an apology.

buzzy56 #459520 Fri Aug 30 2013 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, I was away this morning and missed out on commenting on this.

All, I can add to this is that I feel your pain Greg. I also admire the mature position that you have taken. You are probably exercising more restraint and control then I would be able to under similar circumstances.

I agree that Tom hasn't done anything wrong.

Geno needs to do some soul searching and then do the right thing.

I have always had difficulty with people trying to get sellers to end auctions early or muddy the waters by contacting sellers after an auction has ended. In my books both are slimy and underhanded actions. For me it's simple...If you are not a part of the sale then you have no business contacting the seller.

In general our hobby has been invaded and overrun by persons of lesser moral fiber because they are in this for money. Reality TV has brought these morons to our door step. Greed is a terrible motivator and most of these individuals are cursed by the absence of a conscience. They don't care about reputations as they are in this for a short time and a quick buck. They have no vested interest other than MONEY, they don't care about the stuff, the hobby, or the people in it.

For me, when money becomes more important then this stuff or integrity becomes a commodity people are willing to sell...that takes the fun out of this. I buy stuff because I like, I buy an item because I want the pleasure of owning and the enjoyment of displaying it. I don't care if I paid more then what it's worth. To me it's priceless. It is disheartening when on a weekly basis we are made aware of incidents like this. I am also bothered when people buy an item and the first thing they want to know is the value. In my opinion those people are in the wrong hobby for all the wrong reasons.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All good. Case closed. Sign is where it belongs. Bob and Gene did nothing wrong. Guy took the easy, local money and saved the fees. Mods should lock this up no need to keep going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved