Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i know prices change but looking for the most current petroliana value guide just looking to have a idea what some things are worth

Last edited by marky; Sat Aug 31 2013 06:24 PM.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, there isn't one . It's been mentioned here on this forum several times , price guides in print are obsolete well before they ever hit book stores . My advice is to watch the auctions . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed, hit it on the head. You can go to sites like Matthews auctions and look at his past auctions and it helps out a lot.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Books won't help you at all, for values. You can see lots of different signs, in peoples collections. Auctions will give you a price guide for that particular day. But like new cars, the prices goes up every year............... Wouldn't hurt to go to some shows.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Write-in current prices [& condition] to books you have. Most value books are worthless for Re-Sale.

marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i'm only 37 yrs old there is alot of stuff ive never seen before just trying to learn more and not pass up anything i dont know about

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I buy what I like and pay what I feel it is worth. I don't get involved with what others say something is worth. Unless you are buying for resale or investment.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The books may be outdated, but they've helped me identify gas pumps and the years they were made. I'm glad I have the old guides and their fun just to flip through the pages and look at all the different styles of gas pumps over the years.

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Marky,

As has been said, book values are often outdated even before they are printed. Right now advertising signage is on the upswing in value so pretty much any values you see in a book become just a single valuation point. At some future point today's high value signs may only bring 50% or less.

Look on eBay, on sites like Liveauctioneers, Kovels, and any number of other sources online to get current figures.

For identification purposes there are many books available, look in the Oldgas bookstore and don't overlook sign shows for old books you can add for researching authenticity. There is no compendium of all signs, and that's where personal knowledge and intuition has to come into play in purchasing and/or selling them.

I have this same issue with toys I run across, so I don't pass up even old books & catalogs when reasonably priced to add to my library. I recently bought 2 pedal car books whose valuations from the 80's and 90's are off both high and low as the tastes of the market have changed. But for research & identification they give me a point at which to start.

Good hunting!

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved