#4596 Thu Mar 03 2005 03:56 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The Dayton Ohio show is May 7 go to events page. later;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4597 Thu Mar 03 2005 04:34 PM
D
D
Head to PEOTONE IL. for the show this weekend(in events) and get a good start on a great hobby.Several venders offering pumps at all budgets. Dean

#4598 Fri Mar 04 2005 10:44 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks everyone, You have some really nice pumps, in fact they look like museum quality.
But the truth be known, I am not really concerned if the pump I get is an original.
The difference in the pump and a great restored car is that I dont plan on taking the pump to any shows, just my back yard. It will be stationary.
The old cars are something that will have to be driven.
Also no one actually pumps gas from these old pumps do they? Do you need to have all of the internal parts to enjoy there beauty if they are just sitting bolted to the ground.
I was just hoping to find an inexpensive reproduction, just something to look at.
I was dinking around looking and I found someone that makes a fibreglass pump. But man that thing was well over $1000. It is just a lawn ornament after all. A very nice one needless to say, but still nothing more than a lawn ornament.
Isn't there anyone that makes a nice "lawn ornament" visible bowl pump for under $500?
Now back to the other question, parts.
Where do you find some of the parts for these things.
1)I have found several very nice globe suppliers. But they are not cheap at all. They look like museum quality globes, who makes them, do they have a slightly lower quality that will work for just a "lawn ornament" and the price will reflect that?
2) Where can I get the either glass or plastic bowl? Who makes them, or sells them?
Are they expensive? Is there a lower cost alternative?
I dont want to break the bank on this project, just make the old barn and back yard look neat.

#4599 Fri Mar 04 2005 02:43 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Sounds like it will never be cheap enough for you.

People want money for materials and labour.

Repro glass cylinders are cheap, around 300.00 real ones usually 400-800 except the rare ones like for the double pumps, they can run up to 1000.00 or more for 1 cylinder.

Your best bet, get a pump missing a cylinder and run hail screens.

To try to build one on the cheap, usually looks just that..cheap.
A lot of time and effort expended to build something very few people want, and will you really be happy with it?

Cheap globes are 70.00 , that is very cheap compared to real ones!!

Here is what 500 would bring in the repro market.. about 1- 12 hrs labour but you must deduct parts, material, paint, hose nozzle etc from that leaving even less for labour!

Good Luck on your hunt...

#4600 Fri Mar 04 2005 07:42 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
JM2C. Nobody gets into a hobby to save money. The only cheap hobby that I could think of, would to be collecting business cards. Now I'm not trying to poke fun at you, or discourage a newbie to the hobby. I would also like a nice visible in the front yard for $200-$300. It might happen, I traded a case of beer for a Southwestern 45. It's not a visible, but sweet deals can be found. Heck, somebody here recently found a Tokheim 850 for $100.00.

Dont get discouraged. Go out for a drive. If you see a gas pump, knock on the door. I've never been turned away, and I've met some interesting people. They might have a pump that needs a home. Maybe a calculating pump will reach out and grab you. There's lots of options out there.

Have fun with it!!!

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

#4601 Fri Mar 04 2005 08:54 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Sorry guys but I just cant see spending that kind of money on a lawn ornament.

I did some searching, maybe somone can tell me if this is the only reproductions out there for the visible bowl style pumps or if there is someone else doing it also.

Also, whos is the most realistic or closest to resembleing an actual old time pump (visible bowl only)

I found the following:

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10" (prices are approx. $775-$1245)
2) Cooks ~ 7'6" (price is approx. $599 + $69 S&H)
3)Trip Back ~ (price is approx. $1300)
4) JRD'S ~ (price is approx. $1495 - $2095)

Or are they all correct?
I like the price of the Cooks best (obviously) but I don't want to get something that looks like a water heater and not come close to an original. According to the photos, they all look really really nice. I could see coming home with one of these without having it wrapped upside my head by the misses.
Thanks for the info

#4602 Fri Mar 04 2005 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you mow the yard with a push mower ?
It's only grass !

#4603 Fri Mar 04 2005 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just cut a silhouette out of plywood and paint it--30 bucks.

#4604 Sat Mar 05 2005 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think anyone on this site considers them lawn ornaments!! I kind of take offense to that.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#4605 Sat Mar 05 2005 08:26 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
If you want a new one, you will need to pay. These are new, from dealers with lots of money invested in them. Not to mention, a 7 foot visible looks a little off scale. The repop ones I have seen are silly.

If you don't want to spend the money and you want yard art... find an original! I have pulled several pumps off of old farms are outside old businesses. They are a LOT cheaper than a repop. They will look better too! In may cases you will just need to polish it up and throw some wax on it. You might need to spray paint it, but that is no big deal.
I know where there are at least 3 old visibles in So Cal right now. I could have any of them for under $500. (one for $200) Any of those would be awesome for displaying just as they are. That is in So Cal, the market there is tight, people have been collecting there for years. There is not that much stuff left out there.
I am sure if you ask around, take a few drives to the country, put an ad in the local paper, etc; you will be able to find a better pump at a LOWER price.
It is Saturday... good day for pump hunting. You might like the hunt and you might get a good story to go with your pump!

------------------
WANTED: Sunset & Seaside Gas/Oil stuff!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#4606 Sat Mar 05 2005 03:57 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Aqua..DONT tell everyone the secrets!!

Somehow I get the feeling that the person that started this thread would have trouble with a wild pump! Like not recognize it for the deal it is!!..AND THEN LOWBALL THE OWNER. Usually this happens next, the owner decides to find out what its worth, finds a restored one selling somewhere for 4500.00! Now the pump they wanted 200 for (that got turned down by someone that wasn't sure it was WORTH IT!) is suddenly worth 2500.00 but it is not perfect and not worth it.

Now no one gets it!!

This is why I dont tell people who look to buy (that dont know what the stuff is worth) the secrets to finding stuff!!

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 03-05-2005).]

#4607 Sat Mar 05 2005 05:34 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, I didnt mean to get anyones boxers in a bind.
I use a tractor to mow with, I live in the country.
I have never seen an old pump (visible bowl) sitting around in this area of Ohio whether it was at a farmers, or at an abandoned gas station. I guess someone get to them before me.
If you can get me one from southern Cal. for a couple hundred bucks that generally has everything, I'll buy it. The ones that I have seen at any of the swap meets have been with busted glass, rusted thru sheet metal, missing or busted all to pieces top section and they want over $1500 for them. I just can't see spending that kind of bucks for something in that kind of shape and then spend another $1500 and a years time in repairs for something that is just going to sit outdoors and look pretty and may get damaged again or ripped off.
I am just looking for viable alternatives, you know, options.

Any one got one???

Again, didnt mean to tick anyone off by the "yard ornament" comment but I think you know what I mean.

Thanks again

#4608 Sat Mar 05 2005 07:50 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Pump Jockie;

If you know anyone in Washington state that can pick one up, I have a deal for you!!

I have a Boyle Dayton visible, pretty good skins , real good castings, great blue tinted original glass. really nice bonnet, excellent gallon markers. really nice bronze nozzle for a 1000 US dollars. This pump is 90 % complete, and none of the parts are in poor condition. Just needs to be picked up in BC, 90 miles north of theCan/US border on Hwy 97.

Waaayy better than 1500 for a rough one...

#4609 Sun Mar 06 2005 07:27 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If you want a CHEAP pump for your yard as you say:........Buy this and have at it.Ebay # 387921113 Yard ornament for CHEAP!!!

#4610 Sun Mar 06 2005 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am also new to collecting gas pumps, but your attitude towards those who collect has me stumped. You tell us that you collect old cars and yes I'm sure you do and it is a great hobby. My question to you is.. do you restore the cars in question or do you purchase from someone else? All collectors know that there is a real difference between the two. The collector who gets his hands dirty enjoys his labor of joy, the buyer will never get the same satifaction from the same item. A reproduction item is nice to look at, but isn't the same as the originial. I speak from some experience, I spent 25 years racing and later restoring vintage cars from my mustangs to vintage triumphs to helping my father restore
model A's. On the show circuit and even at some vintage racing events I would run into someone who had purchased on of my cars or one of my father's cars. Over 80% of the time I would either read or hear them tell people who asked that "They" restored the car themself. Ofcourse not one of them could tell you what the "loud pedal" is. Sir, ofcourse I don't know you and I hope you will enjoy this type of collecting, but I think you might want to do an attitute check and not insult those who do put body and soul in their "hobby". Just a suggestion. I know that I learn something important every day on this "post" and look forward to reading input from those who know much more than I do, on this subject.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved