Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4611 Mon Mar 07 2005 10:28 AM
P
OP Offline
P
To all;
You are right, I have no idea what one of these pumps are worth. So when I see one a show that is just about a total wreck, I equate it to a car (and yes I do all of the work myself form stripping down sheetmetal work, engine and auto transmision rebuilds to painting. although I will admit I dont do apolstery).
But if I or you found a say 67 mustang 6cyl. that needed all the body panels replaced, the torque boxes and floor pan rotted out, the engine, tranny, and third member missing, busted glass all around, no hood or deck lid, no seats, dash or headliner and they were asking $20,000 and you were new to the hobbie then what would you think?
I am not really looking for a new hobbie, I got one that I can bairly afford right now.
All I am looking for is something that looks reasonably good, looks like an old pump, that I can set up infront of my shop and enjoy. Call it quick satisfaction. I don't have the time or inclination to do the years of study and searching and building to get the perfect pump. I was just hoping to get something that the average Joe could buy and set it up in a couple of hours and get on with life.

Again, Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Does anyone have a clue as to how close the above mentioned reproduction pumps come close to an actual.

Thanks,
Pump Jockie

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4612 Mon Mar 07 2005 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ONLY, if the car originaly was a SHELBY GT 500, that someone blew the engine apart and replaced it with the 6. Then it might be worth that kind of money.

Gas pumps are like anything else, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

#4613 Tue Mar 08 2005 10:15 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, just got one more question,

Out of all of the reproductions I have found, which of the following is closest to the real thing?

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10"
2) Cooks ~ 7'6"
3)Trip Back ~ ?
4) JRD'S ~ ?

Thanks a bunch

#4614 Tue Mar 08 2005 10:23 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I really dont think most of us look at them reproductions, any more than the car resto guys look at kit cars!

Fact remains, side by side there are huge differences, lots of repros are scaled down and meant to fit indoors. There is though some repros that are the same as original but priced higher.

Bottom line, if you look hard and do it right you can find original for reasonable.
The thrill is in the hunt for most anyway...

#4615 Tue Mar 08 2005 11:13 AM
M
M
Pump Jockie,
I have been looking for a visible to restore for some time (think i'll hold out for the real deal) However, my dad (operates an auto repair shop) also wanted one to park out in front of his business. He is more interested in a low budget / repro option much like you describe. Tipp City, Ohio (home of Benkin Pump) was on my way during a trip i took last fall, so i decided to stop in and look at these Benkin pumps for him. They are sold in an antique store in downtown Tipp City. I must admit that they do look very good in person, up close. I did learn from a very nice lady that worked at the antique store that these are built upon order and she thought it took a few weeks to get one. The contact info she gave me was:
Steve Staub (has a laser cutting business)
937-890-4486

I hope this info is helpful. Good luck on your pursuits.

Mike

#4616 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:38 AM
P
OP Offline
P
To: dodogas;
I am not looking at the real McCoys for a couple of reasons, I don't have the time to didicate for all of the research and education that is required to know all there is about this hobbie. I do however respect and am very glad that there are those that do. It's like going to a car show. You may not like, say, Nova's, or anything GM, but when you see one that is really nice, that someone took the time to restore, you have got to respect thier dedication and hard work that it took to get it to that point. So that I and others may appriciate it. Some collectors of pumps may not like a Texaco pump and think that Shell is the only way to go, well you know what they say, to each thier own.
All I would like to know is, which one is the closest to an actual pump. Just for looking at.
I also cant justify the time to do the search, the time to do the restoration, the money for an actual pump and all of the parts it may need. I plan on putting it outside and if I did all of this and something happend to it I would just die.
You would not part a completely restored 63 splitwindow Vette outside year round would you? Not me. ( no I dont own one either )

to: Mike_in_KY: I can relate to both you and your dad.

I had Benkins listed, and appriciate your thoughts, but I was hoping that someone that had a more direct opinion concerning all the reproductions could guild me in the right direction.
Again I ask, can anyone tell me which pump is closest to an actual pump. Or is there another manufacturer that I have not found and listed, and that you would be willing to share with me that make one closer to an actual pump??

Here is the list again;

1) Benkin ~ 7'8" & 9'10"
2) Cooks ~ 7'6"
3)Trip Back ~ ?
4) JRD'S ~ ?

Thanks guys

#4617 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:57 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
If all you wanted was yard art why does it need to be restored? Why not just spray paint a real one and call it a day?
As for the education, why? Find any pump that you like and can afford and buy it.
You don't need to know it is super rare or common, in the prices you are looking at any pump is a good deal.
I don't think you will find info here about reproduction pumps. None of us here have them. We collect real ones and have tried to encourage you to so the same. They ARE around, they ARE in your budget. What more can we say?
I have seen a few repop pumps at stores and stuff and to me they look silly. I guess to some they look nice, that is why they are made. I don't know who made the ones I saw, didn't look too close. All the ones I have seen are way too short to look real.
Here is what you should do if you really want a repop. Find out what kind of pump it is supposed to be. Wayne, Tokheim, etc and then come and ask us what the size of a real one is. If the repop you are looking at is 7 feet tall and the real one is 10 feet... then you will know something. Or you can ask the company what the scale is.
If you don't mind the repop being much smaller than an original, buy one. I have seen them on ebay cheap enough.
Contact the guys that sell them. I just don't think the guys on here will have the answers you want. We don't collect repops.
Good luck!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#4618 Wed Mar 09 2005 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump Jockie we aren't trying to tell you what to do. Just pointing out that a 3/5 scale split window is not a sting ray. Now to some people this 3/5 scale may look like the real thing at a distance, but the owner will always know. You sound like someone who takes a great deal of pride in working on your car or cars. Well we feel the same way about the pumps we are rebuilding( my case) and have restored. I raced in SCCA and IMSA for someone else, I wasn't real concerned with what the car looked like as long as I had a chance to take the checkered at the end. When I started my own vintage race team, my attitude changed. My name was on those cars and they better be as good looking as they were fast. Now that I'm older than dirt in racing terms, I know that good looking products are always number 1. If you don't believe me ask Pete Lovely.. he drives a $3 million dollar car at the vintage races and never wins a race, but more people check out his car after a race than any other. Just some food for thought. Oh by the way for those wanting to know what Pete drives it is a '59 Ferrari Testa Rosa. I believe it is one of three still around.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#4619 Wed Mar 09 2005 06:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would not compare the split-window with a common low priced pump.

Somehow the thought of a 1000 pump sitting outside does worry me to much, but of course it depends where it is sitting.

I dont know anything about the pepro pumps you are mentioning, and have no interest in even looking at them.

Several people made suggestions as to how to get real cheaper than repro.

That's all I can do to help...

#4620 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gaspumpheaven.com
They made the WAYNE 515's & WAYNE 60 for the GILMORE station in L.A. at the FARMERS MARKET. They look REAL.

#4621 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:49 PM
D
D
I have a 4 1/2 foot tall texaco visible repop pump in your price range.

#4622 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:43 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
awwwwww man this is EZ
run out in the street with a pry bar & pop a man hole cover off, throw it down in the backyard & attach a 4X4 wood (treated) post to it (straight up)
run down to your local heating & air place & grab a sheet of sheetmetal, wrap it around the post in a cone shape.
zip in screws zip zip zip

then cut some round circles out of wood & cut a groove in each for a piece of plexiglass. (theres your cylinder) attach it to the top of the wood post
run down & grab a BiG cereal bowl (you know the kind) spun stainless real BiG for a mans sized bowl of cereal & you got yourself a top.
put that on upside down, order a 10 dollah globe holder & screw it to the bottom of the cereal bowl
go in the house & tear the railing off the wall, cut it to size & file a few grooves in it & theres your handle. order a couple blank globe lenses, find a cheap globe ring, paint a name on those lenses, brush paint the rest of that baby & waaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaa

at 60 mph on a dark night at 70 feet away it'll look just like a wayne 615 & youll hear tires screeching at all hours of the day & night!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

just a thought!

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP looking & asking around there are thousands of pumps out in the wild yet!!! (THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS)
seek & you shall find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4623 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:48 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
like Dick said:
Park Drive Garage gaspumpheaven has American & wayne visibles "ALLL DONE" PAINTED, with a globe.
plug it in & you are done.
about 1000.00 clams!
THEY LOOK REAL!

#4624 Thu Mar 10 2005 10:31 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I can't thank you guys enough for all of your envaluable information and guidance.
First of all, I have never seen a visible bowl pump just sittng around in an old abandond gas station. I do keep my eye out for one. When I do see one. It is in someones yard, proudly sitting like a big beautiful "YARD ORNAMENT". Whenever I do approach someone about buying one they have sitting around they want an arm and a leg. Like a couple thousand bucks. And that is for a rust bucket.

Kidding aside, I now realize that most of you guys take offence to the reproduction market. But if you did not have some people in that nitch, then everyone would be looking for original parts and most of you would not have your museum pieces.
You did help me by letting me know that some of the repos are not to scale. I did not know that and could not tell that because all of the originals that I have seen usually dont have the tops or anything above the visible bowls. It is hard to tell how big they are when you are only looking at half the pump.
I am not looking to restore one, just put something in the yard. Something that looks better than a painted drainage pipe, water heater, a 4 X 4, a telephone pole, etc.

Thanks Guys

#4625 Thu Mar 10 2005 07:11 PM
K
K
Quote:
They ARE around, they ARE in your budget. What more can we say?

I know where Pump Jockie is coming from. At swap meets you are looking at $800 and up for a rusted out piece of junk with no glass and no guts, dials are shot and hoses and nozzles are gone. Abandoned gas stations do not exist in Ohio. At least I have never seen any in my travels around Ohio. And the stations that are closed have been turned into bait stores or drive thru beer stores years ago. And the pumps that you do see around here ARE lawn ornaments or garage trophies. I lucked out when I got mine. One was a gift from my wife and she did pay pretty good money for it. The Texaco pump was purchased from another collector and although I feel I got a good deal I probably paid a little too much. If I lived in a state that had them for a couple of hundred for a decent pump I would buy quite a few. I might have to make a road trip this summer and get a few out of state and bring them back. I have looked for a reasonable pump for 10 years and inquired in other states but was never on a site like this until recently. The pumps might be out there but around Ohio they are few and far between.

Kevin

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved