Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My question here is how do they make money as I see these signs listed and relisted and never sell? I don't get why people do that do they suddenly think the market is going to change by double

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After a seller saw one of these guys fishing for 3500 for the same sign he had I had to explain to him that there sign wasn't worth 3500 just because someone is asking 3 or 4 times its real value on eBay. Even if they had something I had to have I would never deal with them.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
It's like someone listing a light up Sunoco for $1500 when every other breathing soul on the planet asks about $5-600. Oh, and they actually sell them.

Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Sep 09 2013 07:34 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
good post, agree whole heartily-.. cool
seems like I look at them everyday-
the clowns are a little greedy also:

bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porcelain-Sign-Shell-Clam-Shell-1930s-Roof-top-Rare-/161071342402

now listed 11 times:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/early-shell-porcelain-sign-embossed-sign-rare-MAKE-AN-OFFER-/321181686343

I offered them the 463.99 for the shell, there winning bid- they countered with 1500. knocked off 700. but still triple of what they paid- I was originally 2nd bidder on this to the clowns winning bid.
I hope they never post anything I ever want because I will never buy from them.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Look at some of the other new sellers who are using either girl friends or other to hold stuff. Distracting and probably not getting the sales they hope for.

They've Heard that SEX Sells, they should think about Euthanasia!

Dick could make a living on television as a antiques commentator !!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I like reading your posts, they are quite entertaining. I do agree about people being in the pictures on their listings - it takes away from a really good view of the item they are actually selling. When people buy these kinds of items online (expensive), they want the best and most detialed pictures. I have bought one item from this seller and everything went fine. He has also bought from me once or twice.

Most of you already know I sell on ebay, and I too have been the butt of the joke for many old gassers. In fact - because of a couple innocent mistakes (which I have learned from), I am probably on many of your "do not buy from" lists that old gassers have compiled.

People who buy everything they sell on ebay from ebay in my opinion is NOT OK, or a sucessful way to get people to follow you and your items. I am not completely innocent of this myself, but in most of these cases I have actually taken a loss on the item when it was re-sold. I like to sell a wide variety of advertising items both new and old. I do have a soft spot for amazing porcelain signs, and have paid up nicely for lots of the signs I have sold at a small profit or even a loss - just to keep people watching.

I like to have a good variety of items that appeal to a broad specturm of buyers. Some people only want newer light up signs, some people poke fun at me for even selling them. Many items I sell are simply to keep a good "flow" of quality items. I, like the rest of you am not out digging through abandoned barns or properties to find my signs and collectibles. I don't however buy all of my items on ebay and attempt to sell them double the price. I am out every weekend at local and not so local auctions, I am searching craigslist, I am talking to people who know people, I am out making relationships with people who have amazing collections that are willing to sell a little at a time, or maybe 5 years down the road. I travel thousands of miles a year to buy quality items that people can buy from me in the comfort of their own living room or office. I pay ebay's fees, and have to claim my ebay sales on my taxes every year. I spend hours upon hours searching out great items in unconventional places. This is part hobby, part business for me. I have two boys (3 & 7), and believe me - this hobby/business does take time away from them (for now - future road trips ahead). If I'm not out buying, I'm ebaying. If I'm not ebaying, I'm packing a item to ship. If I'm not packing a item to ship, I am responding to email. If I'm not responding to email, I am texting or talking to my "picker" friends. Not to mention I still put in 40 a week, go to t-ball games, help with homework, keep the wife happy, etc.

I sell advertising because I love it and want to offer the best items I can to others who appreciate them as much as I do. I do not sell because I think I'm going to be on TV, or because I think I'm going to make double or more on one individual item. I just have fun with it. I am reasonable enough to know that not everyone agrees, and that I may hurt someone feelings along the way - that's just life.
I love great ORIGINAL advertising, and have been lucky to sell some great items to people who really appreciate them.

I thought this post would be a good opportunity to reveal a little about me since ebay sellers and "flippers" seem to be the super evil that old gassers hate the most. Just remember - this is 2013. The days of deals and people not knowing what they have is over and has been for a while now. I guess I'm a flipper myself since everything I have and buy is for sale. I have almost 900 feedback on ebay and it's 100% positive. I am proud of this because of the effort I put into it. I just wish everyone would leave feedback because I would have a score of well over 2000 if everyone that bought something did. I ask high prices because that is the nature of the game - everyone wants to offer half or less even when they know it's worth a lot more.

It is my belief that we have reached a time where everyone thinks their "junk" has turned to gold. I am just amazed at the insane asking prices on my local craigslist for signs that nobody should ever want to add to any collection but a junk pile. It has gotten very hard to buy anything at a reasonable price. At some point the BS will weed itself out. The wanna be's will fail and the good guys will be left standing.

People have been buying and re-selling since the beginning of time. I don't see anything wrong with it, but as with anything else there is a right and a wrong way to do things.

Thanks for reading and giving me the chance to introduce myself. Hopefully, gr8signfinds will be a source old gassers will trust and watch for years to come. I try to post the things I think you guys will appreciate on here so you can see them on ebay. Don't hesitate to PM me in regard to a individual item - I am always willing to deal within reason.

Greg Cesafsky
gr8signfinds llc
(yes it's a business, and no I don't get my stuff for free)

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Originally Posted By: s932
My question here is how do they make money as I see these signs listed and relisted and never sell? I don't get why people do that do they suddenly think the market is going to change by double

Pretty simple...they prob dont use their own money. Say they pay with a credit card...they have a full month to try and flip that sign...thats why the second they get them up they go back on ebay...even if this seller makes a 15 percent return on an item after fees....where are you going to make that today?? Is it the right thing to do? Yes and no. This seller makes it very obvious just based on the completed items he bid on list. If there were more original items on ebay and this sellers face was not in every picture how many people would notice whats going on here....everyone does business in a different way...at the end of the day who really cares...let him do his thing his way and just dont buy from that seller. It does not matter what price he has the item at...if your a smart collector you should know what to pay for items....

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Mon Sep 09 2013 01:49 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid

Pretty simple...they prob dont use their own money. Say they pay with a credit card...they have a full month to try and flip that sign...thats why the second they get them up they go back on ebay...even if this seller makes a 15 percent return on an item after fees....where are you going to make that today?? Is it the right thing to do? Yes and no. This seller makes it very obvious just based on the completed items he bid on list. If there were more original items on ebay and this sellers face was not in every picture how many people would notice whats going on here....everyone does business in a different way...at the end of the day who really cares...let him do his thing his way and just dont buy from that seller. It does not matter what price he has the item at...if your a smart collector you should know what to pay for items....

What your saying actually makes since, I never looked at it that way before

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is there a way on ebay to Ignore this seller?
I know that a seller can block a bidder.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid

Pretty simple...they prob dont use their own money. Say they pay with a credit card...they have a full month to try and flip that sign...thats why the second they get them up they go back on ebay...even if this seller makes a 15 percent return on an item after fees....where are you going to make that today?? Is it the right thing to do? Yes and no. This seller makes it very obvious just based on the completed
items he bid on list. If there were more original items on ebay and this sellers face was not in every picture how many people would notice whats going on here....everyone does business in a different way...at the end of the day who really cares...let him do his thing his way and just dont buy from that seller. It does not matter what price he has the item at...if your a smart collector you should know what to pay for items....

Well said... If ya don't like it don't look.simple as that.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#462144 Mon Sep 09 2013 08:58 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I have always been amazed with the amount of signs this sellers has for sale on ebay. I was wondering where his source was. Looks like one is ebay.

Bought eBay item number: 400555868156

Now selling eBay item number: 321203114208

Last edited by hri_2008; Mon Sep 09 2013 08:59 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If the members are sick of looking at these jokers imagine how the rest of the buying public reacts. It is such a turn-off to me that I wouldn't buy from any seller that has to be in their listing photo. I'll bet that it has hurt sales.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They must be trying to target a different demographic of society. Seems, they are no longer interested in selling to Hetrosexual males. Using their mugs as bait...

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If I can find my halloween mask stash...I am going to have some fun with listings wink Will only do a few to not make everyone sick though lol...

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved