Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#465659 Wed Sep 25 2013 02:38 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So as soon as I see this my jaw hits the floor. Then I read your actually bidding on a repop. So I immediately wrote the guy and asked that he be sure his repops are somehow marked on the back or bottom.
This is his response.

Your right, I'll mark the back with a sharpie as a repo. I bought a full unopened case of 24 which included the display and a second opened case of 20. These were obviously stored away 1 full unopened and the second packed up with what was left on the shelves in the owners business. The unopened case has black tops not lead. I figured I would sell the reproduced display and the best lead top cans first and see what the market bears. The second opened case has 6 lead tops in it which I married with the best cans overall. I can't sell the original display and plan to keep it with the full case of 24 that it was originally with. It is just too awesome and I can't part with it now. It must be the collector in me. Thanks for your thoughts on the hobby and I will mark them clearly as repros. I know I have gotten burned on some early collecting deals by lack of info. Thanks again, Dave.

So it sounds as if he cares and, so long as properly marked, I don't see his idea of repoping this piece as all that bad of an idea. Again, so long as they are marked as repop's!! I'm sure this is a piece that rarely, if ever, comes up, and by repoping it, more people will get to enjoy it. I may even bid myself. I hate repop's but I would love to have this display as a part of my collection. And if a repop is all I can get, I just may bid.

Wow! What a cool little find!!

oiler counter display (2).jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Sep 25 2013 02:39 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Anything reproduced is a bad idea when this hobby is about collecting original items.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
T-bird I dont nescessarily disagree with you. I don't like repops at either. In this case, the crime was already underway. My main goal was to get him to mark these before any got out there. I told him it was for the future collector who may cross path with these. I hope he's straight and honors his commitment to do so. I think he will.

In the mean time, I need to get him to sell me the original.

Any thoughts on what a fair pricevalue would be for just the display? I really dont know the rarety of the piece. I'm hoping some of the vets can shed some light on whether or not they've ever seen one before.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up as I am interested in buying these.

I don't see anything wrong with reproduction items,as long as they're marked and represented as reproduction.
Reproduction items have their place.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice job Steve!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I got this message from him this afternoon.

I marked the bottoms of the displays this morning "Reproduced from the original, 2013, Mod-Objex-Ebay seller" Thanks for the heads up on that.

So it sounds like he marked them and dated them which is great!! He currently only has one listed. I'm not sure exactly how many he plans on trying to sell. In our conversations he tells me that he plans to keep the orignal and the UNopened case of cans that it came with. But he also has an OPENED case of 20 cans that he plans on selling, each along with a repop display I believe. So if the market supports him moving this many, I could see him making and selling at least those 20.

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Up to $76 buck and still 3 days to go. What the hell is the matter with people? The can is worth what, $50-$60, maybe a crazy $70 being all NOS and all if you just had to have it. And logic states if you read the listing that he has an entire case! I'm sure there will be another listed as soon as this one ends. Why drive up the price??

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Be the 1st in your circle to own one!

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I'd rather be the first in my circle to own one for $50 instead of $100.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your frustration is very apparent, Mr. Coppens. lol

Last edited by JimT; Thu Sep 26 2013 08:24 PM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
sold for $102.50.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Did you win it Rick?
So now I would expect that he'll be posting another. He said there were 20 cans from the opened case that he was going to sell along with the repop displays as long as the market would allow. Logic says the price should come down on each additional one I would hope.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
No I did not.
Someone might contact him to sell the whole lot away from ebay too...not me though.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Has anyone here purchased one of these? If so, does it say "reproduction" on the bottom of it. The seller had told me that he would do that. I had written him when he first listed one of these and he seemed to have a good respect for collecting and understood the issue wof putting unmarked reproductions into circulation.

On another note, and I'm glad for him, but it amazes me what these are selling for. Heck it's a $40 can and a fake display. But then again, fake or not, where are you ever going to get another one? He's doing it right by spreading them over time.
Here are two previous completed auctions and his latest is already at $122.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261363909555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_7688wt_923

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Dec 31 2013 06:57 AM.

Steve Coppens
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved