Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#466244 Sat Sep 28 2013 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just came across this on CL this morning.
This irritates me and I hope they get it back.
It was a CARTER gas brand pump.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/bar/4096048336.html

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I totally agree. I find it sad when people cant display their items without having low lifes rip them off.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Sure are a bunch of A--h---- around.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hate thieves and liars....

Hang em up high in a tree for all the people to see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JOFhfoAD4

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Hang em up high in a tree for all the people to see

Maybe do a little "selective pruning" first wink

TOM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That makes me sick I may say lots on here but this is the worst thing that a person can do. Hang em by there toes!

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I'll keep an eye out down in my area. Maybe it will show up at the Monroe swap meet. Richard

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I remember one time I found a visible gas pump at a farm, it was laying in a ditch rusting away. The price $1000+. I asked, why are you leaving this $1000 gas pump laying in a ditch, but yet you have that $150 lawn mower in the shed?

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but, why isn't the pump in the building it is sitting in front of, or even bolted down outside the building?

I don't think anyone deserves to have something stolen from them, but this should be the first concern when leaving something sitting outside that the pickers consider "rusty gold."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

I've been saying this about people who do carjackings here in Detroit! Start executing them on live television and I GUARANTEE the carjackings will stop! And I ain't talking that easy going lethal injection *****!! Stand them up against a wall and get it done!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Well said. That is the only language the low lifes understand.

Originally Posted By: Steve C.

I've been saying this about people who do carjackings here in Detroit! Start executing them on live television and I GUARANTEE the carjackings will stop! And I ain't talking that easy going lethal injection *****!! Stand them up against a wall and get it done!!!

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I feel for the guy.
That last line in his ad says it all.

"That's right,rat out your friend you helped load it in his truck for and get some money."

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I let the guy know the Old Gas community was aware of the theft. He wrote back:

"I really appreciate it. Have you ever dealt with a guy out in CDA named Tanner that has quite a few coke machines and some gas pumps? I was talking to him last week about trading my pump towards a coke machine so my kids could learn about running a business and making money. I have him the address to see the pump and then it turns up missing three days later and I haven't heard from the guy. Just wondering. Thanks again

Justin"

I don't know what the CDA is and I don't know a Tanner

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What are ya looken at me for!! I didnt do it!!!
It used to be you could kind of guess who may have a stolen pump or something around here but there are so many people jumping on the pickers bandwagon that it could be anyone. I had a styrofoam lid stolen off a cooler I had layen out in the front yard. It was out there months then one day it was gone. Bas%$#ds

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Could CDA be referring to Canada, but that is 2 1/2 hrs away.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nope DB, Canada is either CDN, CA or CAN. Maybe CDA it is a NSA offshoot? Best not to talk about it then.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CDA might be Coeur d'Alene, ID, 38min away

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
CDA=Coeur d'alene, Idaho.....

CDA is much easier.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have talked with Tanner a couple of times and almost had a deal put together for one of the Wayne 60s that he restored. He is 17-18 yrs old and does amazing restoration work. I really don't think that he would stoop to stealing stuff because he does quality work with items that I witnessed him trying to get in a normal, money/items changing hands type of way. He also sells his items, after the restorations, for a decent amount because of the quality and I don't think he would need or want to steel stuff. Here is one of his ads. http://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/4091673002.html

Spokane is full of tweeks that are trying to make a quick buck for a score and they roam, like Hyenas, all over that whole town. So, it was probably a opportunist tweeker, BUT WE ARE WATCHING AND IF IT COMES BY ANYONE ON HERE, THE OWNER WILL GET IT BACK, I'M SURE!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
E
E
CDA is not Canada. I think it stands for "Coeur d'alene". Very close to Spokane.

Last edited by esso guy; Sun Sep 29 2013 12:17 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
I have talked with Tanner a couple of times and almost had a deal put together for one of the Wayne 60s that he restored. He is 17-18 yrs old and does amazing restoration work. I really don't think that he would stoop to stealing stuff because he does quality work with items that I witnessed him trying to get in a normal, money/items changing hands type of way. He also sells his items, after the restorations, for a decent amount because of the quality and I don't think he would need or want to steel stuff. Here is one of his ads. http://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/4091673002.html

Spokane is full of tweeks that are trying to make a quick buck for a score and they roam, like Hyenas, all over that whole town. So, it was probably a opportunist tweeker, BUT WE ARE WATCHING AND IF IT COMES BY ANYONE ON HERE, THE OWNER WILL GET IT BACK, I'M SURE!

Well then, it might be a good idea to have Tanner call and talk to the guy. He has his number

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One reason that I only have two outside pumps instead of six I used to have. Hoping it works out and they catch the sob!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A true story-
I may have told this story before so I will abbreviate it here.
My wife had a yard sale and showed pictures of some items that we owned and others of items that we were trying to purchase to an interested gentleman . She explained what we collected and that we bought/sold/traded similar items. One photo was a Mobil Oil Pegasus curb sign that had been painted over and was being used at a local business. The owner refused to sell it. That week it disappeared. I expressed my disappointment to the owner for getting rid of the sign and she told me that she had not and that she did not know what I was talking about. We walked to her driveway and looked at the spot where it had sat for 20+ years. She did not know what to say, but assured me that she had not sold it.
I went home and looked up the guy's address in the phone book(he had given my wife his card as he was a respected local antiques dealer).
We drove over to his house and the sign was in his back yard. He also had several items that had vanished at my wife's yard sale.
I phone the cops and they came and questioned the "gentleman". He stated that he had purchased it from an African American and that he did not know his name. The owner did not wish to press charges and just wanted her sign back.
My point...many thieves cloak themselves in respectability and professionalism. This cloak allows them to go unnoticed and operate right out in the open. Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Sun Sep 29 2013 03:42 PM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ANOTHER PERFECT Reason WE SHOULD ALL GET a SIGNED RECEIPT & Check the ID of Signee EVERY TIME WE BUY AN ITEM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is it really a good idea to be calling people by name on a public forum and in this context based simply upon the fact that there has been no communication from him? If my name were Tanner and I got wind of this, you can be da*& sure I'd be making a phone call and, in my younger days, a visit if necessary.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other than a quote from victim, no one has called anyone out on this.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That bennet pump is one of a kind with the ad glass brand it would seem, I bet it will turn up sooner or later , I like DB's idea of a bill of sale as well . Makes one wonder also if a item should be marked inside ,like on this pump possibly your initials or something . If the owner say does find it will it be his word against the person say who stole it ? I hope that guy gets his pump , that is really a shame .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Victim does have 1 pic we know of & might have more. 1 good Pic is worth more than a whole page of description. NO 2 items will have the same chips/scratches in exact same places, even on restored items most will have something that can be photographed to prove ownership.

T
T
Hey guys, I'm Justin, aka Okieyokie, and this Bennett was my pump that was stolen. Thanks to Larry for emailing me a link to this thread and this forum. Ill have to start posting on here.

Anyways, I really do appreciate you all keeping an eye out for my pump and if any of you find it I have some great service station items to throw in to the cash reward. As for name dropping the guy in Coeur D'Lane, ID it was not to throw him under the bus or anything but merely an inquiry into his character if any of you had dealings with him. My interactions were nothing but positive but I just wanted to make sure (thanks for clearing that up Dave). Also Dave, I should have sold you the Carter glass when you asked back in June. smile

Anyways, great forum and I look forward to many more visits to the site. Thanks again,

Justin

Welcome to Oldgas, sorry to hear about your pump. Thanks, Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome
I made some inquiries among Chicago area collectors as well as flippers who like to brag it fell off a truck....nothing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sent that tanner guy a email about a carter pump and this is what he sent back.

"There is a guy in Spokane with one like you are looking for. his number is 5093298057. I passed on it because I already have one and it's not a very desirable pump."

Last edited by Oilcanman87; Mon Sep 30 2013 12:18 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sorry to hear about your pump...i drove through Spokane last Tuesday morning (glad I didn't have my truck or youall would be looking in my garage..LOL) on my way to Seattle to visit my brother. I ran across a Wayne 60 in Idaho that is just standing int he guy's driveway. It wasn't for sale, but I strongly encouraged him to move it inside or get it bolted down.....Will keep an eye out here in Montana for your pump.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #466866 Mon Sep 30 2013 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas Justin!
You joining up here will be a great thing that comes out of the bad situation.
I hope that someone finds it and if I come across it, it will be my pleasure to get it back to you and have the idiots charged with theft.
I don't think you should've sold me the glasses back then because you wanted them for a reason, and heck they are yours to decide what you wanted to do with them until these JA's came along and stole it. I was looking forward to possibly seeing it all done up some day in Carter so hopefully it will get found and you will be happy and I'll get to see the end results and that will make me happy.
Feel free to call and stop by next time your out here on the west plains!

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I just went through the same thing, with signs. If anyone is dumb enough to try to flip it with a Carter ad glass even I could spot it. Really sorry about it. Good luck getting it back. Some times the thought of money will turn two thieves against each other.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
@ The Yoke,,Justin

Good to see you registered and posting, it's a great site with lot of great guy and lots of knowledge

Larry

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
The guy is really serious about getting his pump back.
Now offering a $2,000 reward.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/wan/4120666533.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hopefully he gets it back, for that amount of award he should be able to.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I found this today and don't think it is the same but who knows.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/atq/4169316705.html

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
I found this today and don't think it is the same but who knows.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/atq/4169316705.html

I don't think so, several items are different in ways that could not be faked easily. Suck as, the base of the stolen one is in good shape. The base plate of the one for sale is rusted. Yes there are ways to make parts rust quickly. But most thieves aren't that savy.

I hope the owner finds his pump. I remember when my ATM card number was stolen and used to buy satellite service. I called the satellite company and tried hard to get them to give me the address that MY card had paid for, of course they refused. I planned to knock on the address front door with a baseball bat in my hands.

Michael

I think we are doing the seller of the above listed pump a great disservice by suggesting that his pump may be the missing stolen pump. Different face style, different nozzle, different look at the globe holder area and, as already mentioned, different condition of the base.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good Eyes guys! My bad for not seeing those differences.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Easy to throw someone under the bus, & if your wrong call 911

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
If I was him I would check all scrap yards it was probably a drug using piece of garbage looking for money for his next binge. I had a tenant steal some items out of my garage then when evicted came back and took all copper pipes out of house.
I checked all scrap yards in area and he had ticket for copper a few days later.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Big B1
If I was him I would check all scrap yards it was probably a drug using piece of garbage looking for money for his next binge. I had a tenant steal some items out of my garage then when evicted came back and took all copper pipes out of house.
I checked all scrap yards in area and he had ticket for copper a few days later.

Good point. Sad but true.

Michael

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just got word from Justin that he recovered his pump today, mostly intact and complete!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good did he say where it was

A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
Wow, very lucky.

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great news...Congrats.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oilcanman87
Good did he say where it was

Behind a crack house somewhere in the Spoghetto.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems like the media never gets anything right.
700 pounds? Did they move it as a prank? Found on the side of the road and how did the drive know who actually owned it?

Justin, just glad you recovered your pump.

NEWS LINK:
http://www.krem.com/news/local/N-Spokane-man-reunited-with-rare-antique-236479061.html

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I wonder if the guy who found it got the $2,000 reward for a not so rare or that valuable of a pump?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved