Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#455438 Wed Aug 14 2013 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think most of us have heard the old adage "Even a blind squirrel will find a nut, occasionally"...

I had my own; "blind squirrel" moment on Ebay last week...

I've been looking for the Veedol and Tydol "feature" matches (thanks for telling me the correct name for them, Randy)... And they seem to be fairly scarce...

Well, I ran across an auction for a "Tydol matchbook" and thought I better look at it before AL saw it...

I glanced at the first image and then passed it by... As this cover was the ugliest most "Plain Jane" cover, I think I had ever seen (or damn close to it)

What do you folks think?:

But, something kept "bugging me" to go back and really take another look at the auction... So I did...

And in that "Ugly Package" was this!

A real: "Diamond" in the rough:

Tydol used the "Engineer" logo from 1933-1936. And for it to be "un-used", well ... luckily for the world... no one had to witness; this fat man doing a "Happy Dance" when I bought the matches or when they arrived here this AM.... LOL

We've all heard it before and most of us have said it... But, the "stuff" is still out there... Now I know at times it comes in "Butt Ugly" Packages.... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Way to go Bob, neat find. A lot of times finding this stuff has to do with looking at something two or three times before you realize exactly what's there. Or blind luck...which doesn't hurt either! I found my 36B in an ad for a coke machine. If I hadn't read to the last line that said he also had an old gas pump for sale, I would never have found it. I'm sure a lot of other people had glanced at the ad without giving it a second look for a gas pump as the pump wasn't even pictured or mentioned in the title line of the ad.There are a lot of Ebay listings that have the first picture of the item that is not even of the items good side or even of the item itself so you tend to gloss over it...Gary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's neat bob , it would be neat if you find a sign like that the same way some day?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I recall seeing a similar matchbook for Sunoco on eBay not long ago...unused with those "product/theme" matches of a service station.
Tom

TOM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice! Diligence and perseverance always pay off.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Great seek Bob.
Hurry........play your local lottery tonight.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
God job bob!!glad you got them!sure think we all woulda liked to see that " happy dance!!" Lol!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Way to go Bob!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good for you bob!!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It happened again...

"I somehow stumbled over" another feature match for Tydol... This time, I seem to have "someone looking over my shoulder". As there is no way I usually would have paid attention to this auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131001205007

These are the only images shown of the matches:

Under that top layer of the "Chef" feature matches....

Was this beauty:

I put them in a cover more fitting of Tydol Matches.

After possibly 60+ years "buried behind" the Chef matches... These Tydol Matches can now be seen and enjoyed...

(I forgot to add, if anyone out there collects feature matches and would like to have the "Chef" matchbook... Send me a PM and I will mail you the matchbook)

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Sep 30 2013 11:01 AM. Reason: I forgot to add....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved