Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you see this sign, it's fake... walk away... W-A-L-K AWAY!!!

Besides the font used, the most glaring, obvious reason is that the "Red Lion" image isn't the Gilmore lion image, it's the other Lion Oil Co. lion image.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: eshaver
Great stuff so far !!!!!!!!!! Ede Shaver

You could say that again!!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you GOOGLE Gilmore Oil, one of the first results you'll get is the article Alan Darr wrote for OLD CAR ILLUSTRATED in Sept., 1977. This article is the first time I had heard of the old west coast oil company...

http://mlsandy.home.tsixroads.com/Corinth_MLSANDY/rt118.html

Here's some photos of his collection that appeared in a STREET RODDER mag a year or two ago...

Last edited by GILMORE; Mon Sep 30 2013 06:26 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Awesome stuff guys!!
I don't have any Gilmore in my collection but I saw this car at the 60th Hotrod Hillclimb in Georgetown CO a couple of weeks ago thought it was pretty cool and I also have some video of it racing, it's pretty cool that the city still allows this with all the "liability" since they race through town and a bunch of houses. Even got to meet some of the original racers from 1953 if you ever get the chance to go I would suggest going it's more of a social event now as they don't race as they used to but some still go for it pretty hard.

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My favorite Gilmore piece I own.

Gilmore.jpg
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
My Gilmore collection is very small. Gilmore stuff is hard to find these days.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks to all of you that posted so far. Gilmore has some of the best graphics.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOWSERS..I LOVE Gilmore stuff..its rare and awesome. I wish i had something more to contribute but..here is a Bennett 541 I did to Gilmore years ago

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I received an email from another member, relating to a post I made in another thread, and thought I would share my answer here. Was asked if I knew when Gilmore's Blu-Green gas came to be and if there was a different globe version(s) before the version that is known today and reproduced.

This all comes from researching numerous newspapers, from items and photographs I have and have seen...

Gilmore Blu-Green was introduced in March of 1928. Before that, it was known as BANG Boyce-Ite Blu-Green. BANG was a Gilmore refined mixture of the Boyce-Ite Blu-Green carbon preventing additive that was mixed with Gilmore gasoline. After adding the additive, the color of the gasoline was a greenish-blue, hence the name. Due to the popularity of the additive bottles/cans in the early-mid '20s, the Boyce-Veeder company selected several refiners across the nation to produce a blend of gas with their product. Gilmore was selected to be the (So) California refiner. They named their mixed blend BANG. Below is a pic of a BANG curb sign and pump at a Gilmore station...

The patent numbers for the Boyce-Ite product and Gilmore Blu-Green are the same. I do not know if Gilmore bought the patent or know the what/why of the story. I have read that the Boyce-Veeder company was having financial problems during the mid-20s, so for this, I believe it a possibility that Gilmore did buy the patent... don't know for sure though.

Below are the lion images I posted in another thread. The first image (ca. 1928) is what I have down for the "first" lion logo for Gilmore Blu-Green, and is very similar, if not the same, as what Gilmore used for their Higher Gravity and Low Flashpoint gasolines... and possibly others, I do not have photos showing all the previous blends. The last photo, is the logo that appeared in late 1930. Which I believe was created for Gilmore's upcoming new oil product- Lion Head motor oil. Which was released in March of 1931...

Last edited by GILMORE; Wed Oct 09 2013 12:02 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As for different globe version(s), some think yes and some say no. I do not have photo or documental evidence to show/support either theory. I'm leaning towards that they did though. Who knows, somebody may have it in a collection somewhere, or perhaps they were all destroyed. Dunno. Not every collector wants to show their collections nor is every collector a member of this site. I've met WAY more people through ebay than here. Some like to remain anonymous.

I found this image researching old newspapers. Sorry, best resolution/quality I have for it. What is that on top of the pump?... a sign, a globe? Photo dates early 1930, before the lion image in the known Blu-Green globe lenses was used. Unless I'm wrong and they used that lion image before what my research tells me...???

newglobedisc.jpg
Last edited by GILMORE; Tue Oct 08 2013 11:48 PM.

R
R
top notch stuff.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last pic shows a Tok 280/285/290/295 pump [not clear enough to know which] & maybe a 1931 Ford.
Hope that helps to date pic.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Gilmore's upcoming new oil product- Lion Head motor oil. Which was released in March of 1931...

EDIT: sorry, that should read January of 1931, not March.

These are the oil "brands" I have that Gilmore sold...

GILCO
EASTOIL
WESTOIL
LION HEAD
GOLDEN LION
SMACKO

Anybody know of others?

I also don't know why some of my pics aren't showing or showing as deleted. The joys of using Imageshack.

Last edited by GILMORE; Mon Oct 14 2013 10:50 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great photos everyone. It's great to see items I've never seen before!

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anybody have this sign?...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved