Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47122 Fri Dec 07 2001 07:05 AM
S
S Hardy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does anyone have any ideas for preventing the theft of gas pumps? Simply bolting them to the ground doesn't seem to be working anymore. Just yesterday, I read in a local newspaper that a visible pump on display at local station was unbolted and stolen. The pump was right beside a well traveled highway and was apparently taken during darkness. I get really apprensive when I hear or read stories like this. My "357 magnum" insurance policy is only in effect when I am home. Seriously though, I was thinking about using "theft proof" lug nuts, (the kind you can't turn with a regular wrench) to mount my pumps down. The only problem with this is that I will have to change the studs which are mounted in concrete to get the threads to match. Anyone else given any thought to this and come up with a better solution???

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47123 Fri Dec 07 2001 01:53 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
One thing you have to remember when dealing with thieves is that if they really want something they will find a way to take it. Even if you change the nuts, chain things down or whatever, there is a plethera of portable grinding and cutting tools that these boys probably use. If you have a really valuable pump then store it indoors, but if you display them outside, then aim a survelance camera directly at them. Be sure to consult a security professional and not be fooled by one of the fly by night internet companys. A good CCD camera and monitor may go for $500 dollars or so. But that is cheap when you consider losing a $2000-$3000 dollar pump you spent months restoring. And the look on the thieves face when the sheriff plays the tape for them is priceless.

#47124 Mon Dec 17 2001 09:52 PM
J
J
17 DEC 2001
You cannot secure such an item in any
meaningful sense -- insurance is the
best I can recommend. Second best, to
me, is a tracking device -- but are you
willing/able to track someone 1,500
miles or more? What do you do when
you find them and they have repainted/
re-logoed your property? The idea of