Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47438 Tue Oct 08 2002 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok men, here's one for you and your opinions. If you look on ebay right now, you will see several reproduction quart cans being sold by the same dealer.One of the "good guys" has spent many hours making them, and they do look great! He has even marked them so that there is no confusion about them being new. I think that he even left them empty so that they don't fall off your shelf and break a globe.(Sorry Dick, I had to try for a laugh) Here's my question for the masses. Do these hurt the value of your oil can collection? Has anyone experienced quart cans loosing value? Would "a real collector" purchase one of these for $18. instead of shelling out hundreds for an original that might have some damage? Ok guys, the forum is open!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47439 Tue Oct 08 2002 10:26 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
personally... everything in my collection is original. i believe the "real" deal will always hold its value and with some luck be worth even more if you decide to sell. however.. reproductions do have a niche. lets say that someone wants to have these things in their den or garage and is not interested if they are repro or not... well then... its good enough for them. i like the idea that they are marked and believe all reproduced items should be. well... maybe in a perfect world they would be. like they say... let the buyer beware... well... thats my 2 cents..

#47440 Tue Oct 08 2002 11:44 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I have 2 repo signs ,4 globes , no cans
, i don't think it hurts the value , but a young guy just starting out,an can't afford some of the high dollar cans why not , just as a display with others i see nothing wrong with it , as long as this reproducer is makeing good repos , theres a seaside that he does thats wrong , it has a logo in the middle of the word PENNSYLVANIA. that can never existed , he is putting his own stuff on the cans . that part is wrong , an there should be an area just for repo stuff and not in the real auction area, but we can't change ebay rules , that my opinion for what its worth,

#47441 Tue Oct 08 2002 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Dwaine.
Repros are okay - as long as they are marked as such. However, those individuals that try to rip us off with conterfeit items should be taken out and beaten!
I personally have a couple of small poreclain signs that I love the looks of - but can't afford to own originals. But I mostly only buy originals for my main signs.
I don't plan on getting any original globes. I'll make due with the repops. My pumps are 'over-restored' anyway and to find a mint globe is way too expensive to be buying very many. I can get primo repops and they look great.
I understand those individuals that only want originals - and that's great if they have the funds to buy what they want. I like the looks of the pumps with the reproduction globes on them. Especially restored. If I was going to do a display with an old pump that looked like it was still in the field. You know, tall grass around it and original paint, then I would want an original weathered globe. I may even do that some day - but not right now.
It all boils down to what you personally like. Again as long as the repros are marked as such, I have no problems.
As for the reproductions driving down the prices of the originals. We haven't seen that happen with the globes, or the reproduction porcelain signs. I don't expect it to be any different with the quart cans.

#47442 Tue Oct 08 2002 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have a problem with marked repros although I personally wouldn't buy them. I don't have any repro cans, signs, or globe lenses. I do have a few repro globe bodies.

I'm not sure repros hurt the value of originals. Prices on much of the common cans are down alot. Common signs , and globes are down a little. That probably has more to do with the economy being down.

What I really don't like are the unmarked repros. Theres only one reason not to mark a repro and that is to rip us off!

Thats my take on it.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved