Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47530 Fri Jan 06 2006 08:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all. I am looking for leads on old gas stations still lurking in Wisconsin.

Do you know of any neat stations you've noticed recently or photographed over the years? I am working on some early research for a project and just know there has to be more out there.

I would love to hear of or see images about any of them. I look forward to your responses.

Have a great day.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47531 Fri Jan 06 2006 08:53 PM
Hi mespeltz. Welcome to Oldgas Shop Talk.
I came across the old station in the following topic while on a vacation roadtrip around Lake Michigan. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001391.html

It was still in operation. Nice people who appreciate the history involved.

We'd love to hear about your research project and see any pictures you find.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#47532 Sat Jan 07 2006 06:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi mespeltz,

Here are a couple of pics of Wadhams stations in Wisconsin:
http://people.msoe.edu/~reyer/mke/1930i.html

Plus here are some pics of what I believe was a Wadhams station, still standing as of last year.

[This message has been edited by wads (edited 01-07-2006).]

#47533 Sat Jan 07 2006 11:25 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
HEY IVE GOT SOME OLD PICS OF GAS STATIONS IN MY AREA. SOME ARE STILL STANDING OTHERS ARENT. WHERE IN WISCONSIN ARE U FROM? AND ARE THE PICTURES FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN PERSONAL USE? THE REASON I ASK IS THAT I GOT THESE PICTURES FROM A LADY AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE THEM TO ME IF THEY WERE TO BE PUBLISHED. IM NOT SURE WHY BUT I DIDNT ASK LOL. ILL LOOK AROUND AND SEE IF I CAN FIND THEM.

AARON

#47534 Sun Jan 08 2006 01:27 PM
R
R
There is nice little gas station bldg. on North 8th st. in Manitowoc, Wi. If you would like a picture of it I could take a picture and sent it to you. Don The bldg. is vacant for quite some time and I keep hoping someone does not demolish it.

#47535 Tue Jan 10 2006 01:34 PM
G
gam Offline
G
How old and do they still have to be stations? Mineral Point has a couple and they just tore down the bulk oil facility. There is an old one in Dundee too. The Pagoda style one on 76th and national was restored recently but the one on 76th and Ryan has been moved (to the auto auction place on 7 mile). There are probably too many to list depending on your criteria.

Greg

#47536 Tue Jan 10 2006 07:32 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello and thanks for your responses. I apologize for not replying right away. I will reply in order here and I hope I am doing this right as I am new at this.

OLDGAS, thanks for your response and for the welcome. I think the station you included in Kewaunee is fabulous. Good to hear they are interested in the history of it and it's looks as it's in good shape.

I am casually working on a project that might some day become a book, but it could be a while. I am gathering information on existing gas stations that are architecturally interesting from all of the different eras of design. The goal is to find great stations that are still standing, show old photos and ephemera, and include some personal stories that will make it all the more interesting. Maybe there would be a driving tour component. I can imagine showing some images of classic stations from Wisconsin's past even if they have been demolished.

I hope this is helpful and informative. I wasn't sure how much information to include in my original query.

WADS, I like the pagoda images in WI. Thanks. Where are the images from of the blue-roofed one? Pretty cool.

AARON, thanks for your message. As you noticed, I am someday hoping to pull all of this research into a book project. I'd love to see any images you're willing to share and I promise you that I wouldn't use any of them. If any are still standing and of interest, it would be great to learn of them. However, I completely understand either way. Thanks for writing.

RELICSOLDCARS, hello. I think I know that station but am not sure. Is it 8th and New York Avenue? Does it have a red or maroon roof? If this isn't the one, I'd be interested in seeing an image of it. I think it might have been a Clark station? If you know anyone connected to it, I'd love to hear of them.

And finally, GAM, I actually live in Mineral Point. There are two really great old stations here, I think. I am interested in hearing of or seeing images of anything that is still standing and interesting. If it's run down and an average servicce station, oh well I guess. But if it's visually interesting or something you don't see every day, then anythings of interest...gas station or gift shop!

I have seen most of the Wadhams mentioned online, are these two in Milw? Sorry I am not reliable on the addresses yet. Haven't heard about what's in Dundee.

Thanks again for everyon'es responses. I look forward to hearing about more. Here's an interesting link in case you haven't seen it.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/archstories/filling/

Best,

Mark

#47537 Tue Jan 10 2006 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi I know where a ton of stations are,just have to drive around Milwaukee for a entire day.I only know how to post pics one at a time,some of these Wadham stations have been moved,butI know where they are and who has them.

This was on the corner of 51st and ryan rd Iif I remember correctly,it is relocated.

#47538 Tue Jan 10 2006 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This one I think Wads took the picture of,I got it off this site.This is located on 76 and National ave in West Allis,my home town, and is restored.

#47539 Tue Jan 10 2006 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This I beleive is in Cederburg and is still standing.

#47540 Tue Jan 10 2006 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was downtown Milwaukee on 1st or 2nd st I can get you the info, but it is gone,I think I know who has it.It was featured in a gas staion book already.

The next photo is the building removed check out the cool art work that was behind the station.

[This message has been edited by Petroholic (edited 01-10-2006).]

#47541 Tue Jan 10 2006 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

#47542 Tue Jan 10 2006 11:45 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
^^^^^^^^^WOW That Wadhams wall ad is awesome! Great preservation on the left side, I guess a building or something was covering it...?

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#47543 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:09 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hey PETROHOLIC, thanks for all of the Wadhams images. I am familiar with the Sprague, Seneca, and Cedarburg ones. They're all great. If you know people involved in the restorations or the owners, I'd love to learn of their names so I could contact them in the future for more information.

I think the Wadhams sign is awesome. I especially like how you can see where the curve of the roof detail was. Thanks again.

#47544 Wed Jan 11 2006 09:01 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hey RELICSOLDCARS, I learned this morning that the Manitowoc one on N 8th was also a SPUR station in the late 1960 early 1970s. Have a good one.

#47545 Thu Jan 12 2006 11:12 AM
G
gam Offline
G
Mespeltz,

My brother lives in Point. There's the one just south of downtown near the church, not in use anymore. Also, what looks to be an old station east of downtown near the old quarry. When they tore down the old bulk oil facility there was a Wayne 500 and some lubesters sitting on the site. Wonder who got them? You also have a beautiful railroad station in town. Small world..........

The Pagoda station on 76th and Ryan is gone (not 51st and Ryan). I think the Auto Auction house bought it with intent to restore it. I was going to buy it but there was way to much hassle with the city of Franklin. Zoning, lead paint, etc. Not worth it. Too bad!

Greg

#47546 Sun Jan 15 2006 08:49 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hey Gam. I've been in Point for about 4 years. There's a great little station on Fountain St. I am not sure where the bulk plant was? I am involved with the railroad depot and it has been fully restored and reopened as a museum. It's really nice there. Thanks for your info.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved