Next Thread
Print Thread
#47635 Wed Oct 30 2002 06:33 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
A well known east coast auction co had a closing date of 10/16/02 on an auction.
I had no problems bidding that night and
checked the next day and saw I was the
high bidder on a couple of globes. 4 days
later get an email saying I'm outbidded.
The auction date closing date was moved till
10/23/02. I refused to bid after that.
After auction was over, email the owner and
questioned him about this. His reply was that
he received a virus so he had to run it another week. If I had no problen bidding is
this possible?? Maybe he wasn't satified with the prices (no reserves)and this was
a way of letting it run longer to drive up
the price?? OK you computer experts help
me out here, so I will know if I'm going to
bid in any further of his auctions, thanks
Paul

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47636 Tue Nov 05 2002 10:17 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
I certainly am no computer expert.. and I can empathize with Pauls frustration over this online auction. I also feel that I am not alone in questioning the reason for extending this auction another week. Is a "virus" something that could shut down a site or an auction for a week?? I also bid on online auctions, and I too would like an education as to how this can happen. I call on our host and moderator. Jim.. you are obviously an expert in this computer stuff.. and I have the highest respect for you. Please enlighten us and let us know if this could be for real.."a virus" or possibly a scam to run up the prices. Thanks much.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#47637 Tue Nov 05 2002 11:03 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Most likely it was a scam. If he had a virus, it didn't seem to affect your bidding the night of closing. I would ask for his auctioners liscense number and perhaps report this activity to whichever state board would be in charge of this activity.

#47638 Wed Nov 06 2002 07:19 AM
I think your assumption that more time was allowed to get higher bids is probably right. But there is no question that any computer system could have problems. Hackers and just plain volume have caused serious problems at eBay at certain times in the past. They spent tons of $$ strengthening their hardware and software to stand up to the challenge. Be sure to read the auctioneer's disclaimer about outages and other problems. The practice of moving a closing time and date should be a known factor before bidding starts.

It would be irresponsible to allow a virus to get into a commercial Web server, but it is remotely possible. More likely, if a virus was involved, it would probably be on the computer that the auctioneer uses to open email rather than the server. If it is the same machine as the server or on a local network with the server where a virus can be spread, shame on them.

Bottom line is I would recommend staying away from this auctioneer because of sloppy or downright deceptive practices.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#47639 Tue Nov 12 2002 09:14 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Jim for your reply and expertise. I felt that things were not right, first its
just like bidding on ebay private auction, you never see who's bidding. I also thought
this should be a sophistacated system, thanks
again Frank and Jim.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved