#482808 Fri Oct 04 2013 03:20 PM
P
prowl1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to start some body work on a Fry 117, I'm wondering what these two things are for under the hinged door. One is like a spring loaded pull type knob and the other is just a nut and bolt. I've looked through a lot of the 117 photo's on here, I've found a couple pumps with the same two items, but most do not have them. I was considering welding the holes shut, but wanted to make sure they weren't for something important.

Thanks,
Ryan

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What is on the back side?

P
prowl1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
D.B.
Here's the opposite side. There was never anything hooked to the back side of these things when we were taking the pump apart. The top one is spring loaded and you pull out on the knob and it springs back in. The one below is just a shoulder bolt and a brass nut on the outside.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a GUESS, Maybe an operator installed light switch [spring loaded knob] & mounting/holding bolt.
I have a 17 w outside mounted pump & light switch is inside to left of door.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Oct 04 2013 05:12 PM.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
There was something posted on this site about this in the past. If I recall it had to do with a latching mechanism that would prevent the regulator handle from being moved into any of the fingers used to select the amount of gallons to be dispensed. It appears this extra mechanism has been removed from your pump.

Bill Fortune
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Bill is correct, I have seen them also, had a small lever that latched and kept the regulator handle from being moved once it was set.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What you have is a spring loaded pin that was used to lock a "lockout bar" in place once the regulator bar was positioned into one of the positive stops on the Fry 117. The bolt below the spring loaded pin is basically a guide that the "lockout bar" slid up and down on. There should also be another similar bolt/nut at the top of the pump just to the right of the access door. You'd pull the spring loaded pin out, reposition the "lockout bar" over the regulator handle to keep it in place within the positive stop. Attached are some pictures of the "lockout bar".

I've been searching for one of these "lockout bars" to complete my Fry 17. If anyone has one for a Fry 17, shoot me a PM. Thx! Greg

fry lockout bar 3_edited-2.jpg fry lockout bar 2_edited-1.jpg Fry positive_stop.jpg

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello,
I have never seen one of those on the 117(10 gallon), only on the 17(5 gal). This means absolutely nothing only that it is my own experience. I had one of those once but the large piece inside the pump was one piece and not riveted together. It has a spring which keeps it all the way to the left and you must pull the brass knob out to allow the regulator handle to be moved up or down. Most Frys that I have found were "fixed" so that there was no way to move the regulator pipe. They usually just sawed off the regulator handle if if was steel or broke it off if it was cast iron and bent the lock tab on the door so that no one could mess with it. Am I making sense ? I have one outside that I will post a photo of as soon as it gets light. Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Sat Oct 05 2013 03:16 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
P
prowl1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thanks a lot for all the info and pics. My pics are from a 10 gal pump. The lockout bar was not with the pump when it was purchased. All the pics listed are from 5 gal. Was this installed on 10 gal as well? Was this lockout bar setup something that came from the factory or was it an aftermarket accessory?

Thanks again!

Don't know what happened to my pics in my original post, so I'll attach one to this reply

Last edited by prowl1; Sat Oct 05 2013 09:46 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The lockout bar feature was also available on Fry 117 pumps. I've seen several 10-gallon pumps with the holes in the front skin where this bar would mount. I've also see several Frys where these holes were not present. So possibly this was a feature of the pump based on the year it was produced. ??? I'm just guessing.

About a month ago someone sold a lockout bar for a 10-gallon Fry on ebay. The part sold for $41. Attached is a picture of the part.

I'd recommend you leave the holes when you restore the pump and continue the search for a lockout bar. Greg

lockoutbar.JPG

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved