Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#485152 Tue Oct 15 2013 06:17 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is something i want to share! I have been collecting for 14 years and been on this site about 13-14 years now. I from time to time will sell some stuff. I will ask a fair price for what i am selling as i will to pay a fair price. I don't always buy just because it's cheap. When i put something on this site for sale... it is a fair price.
So the "wannabe pickers" do not need to reply as i will not sell stuff for low offers so you can "have a little meat on the bone" for you to flip. I am a collector and i know what stuff is worth so don't waste my time or yours!
This site used to be about collectors and sharing knowledge and a place for collectors can sell or buy. It seems it's full of wannabe pickers or flippers.
I used to post a lot... over the last year my interest in oldgas and went down hill and it continues to to diminish.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jarvis #485158 Tue Oct 15 2013 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis I could not agree more. I have noticed that in the last few years the guys that use to post who are collectors have quit and these new pickers as they like to call themselves post all day and are very rude at times. Im not saying all of these pickers are bad as some do a good job on here and really try to do the right thing, but many are here for a quick buck and have no respect for our hobby what so ever.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Jarvis #485161 Tue Oct 15 2013 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JJ--You're getting a bit to thin skinned in your old age! LOL
These pickers will never go away as long as prices stay up. I simply learn to identify them and realize them for what they are.
There is a little bit of picker in all of us, as we buy some things and turn them again to support "the habit".
Old Gas is still a great place to visit and connect with other collectors, you just have to be aware of who is a collector and who is a picker.
Collectors care about the item they are selling and want the new owner to be satisfied and enjoy the item at a reasonable price, while a picker is only there to line his pockets and maximize his profit.
Those pickers don't take the time to network with other collectors because it serves them no purpose! They come and they go, while the true collector is always there.
I hope they don't sour you to the point of leaving, because you truly are a "collector".

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #485167 Tue Oct 15 2013 06:53 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I am new here and understand the frustration of the long time members.I have been in antiques for 40 years plus and the picker/collector types have always been in that hobby also, trying to beat you down. Some have to pick and turn as they are operating on a tight budget.Some can afford to buy and hold and enjoy and trade up when the timing is right.Don't let the "A" holes ruin it for you.This is still the best site in my opinion for gas and oil, and let's not let a few sour our outlook because of their lack of genuine conscern for the hobby.Just my own opinion but hope others feel the same way.Alway's loved the smell of gasoline going in the tank as a kid.Used to stand next to the hose while my dad filled the tank at the island.He tried to run me off on many occasion's but I always returned for more.That old Sunoco smell! :)Old junk yard dog,gas station hang outer could not get enough of it in the late 50s-60s.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #485172 Tue Oct 15 2013 07:05 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think certain areas site should be locked and only be able to be seen by members that pay a fee. I rarely buy from the site but do have contacts with member that's I buy from and sale to just my feelings on it.

K W FRITH #485174 Tue Oct 15 2013 07:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would like to weigh in on this. I do alot of picking not for income but for fun started it with my dad when I was a kid an continues today.I belive some people give picking a bad name but I don't belive I have a bad reputation.I have very good friendships with the people I buy an sale to but do understand the frustration from people on this site. I post a lot on BOTW not to sale think I did that a handful of times on here when I first got on this sight.I have been contacted on here with low baller offers when item is not for sale an talk to rudely about items I didn't even have for sale.In all my years I have only met two or three collectors that don't sell anything the one that I know are like me sale cause they run out of space or use to fund the next buy or show.I never ask for offers and will pass on stuff that people ask for one.when I sold blue ripple last week to someone on here or mint 6ft Reble oil sign ect I didn't hurt my relations with these people I built them. I had bought a sign before a recent show Sold it to a friend over phone at the show had several people approach me about sign told them it was sold had several people offer me more money for sign even tho it was sold.I belive a man is only good as his word and glad to know that my dad taught me a true lesson in life stay true to your word an respect others.I hope one day you can meet a old school picker like me thanks for letting me share Brent

Jarvis #485188 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Here is something i want to share! I have been collecting for 14 years and been on this site about 13-14 years now. I from time to time will sell some stuff. I will ask a fair price for what i am selling as i will to pay a fair price. I don't always buy just because it's cheap. When i put something on this site for sale... it is a fair price.
So the "wannabe pickers" do not need to reply as i will not sell stuff for low offers so you can "have a little meat on the bone" for you to flip. I am a collector and i know what stuff is worth so don't waste my time or yours!
This site used to be about collectors and sharing knowledge and a place for collectors can sell or buy. It seems it's full of wannabe pickers or flippers.
I used to post a lot... over the last year my interest in oldgas and went down hill and it continues to to diminish.

Well Said !!!

Follow the Red Indian Trail
tennesseepickers #485196 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always find myself questioning the purpose of threads such as this. What good can come out of this? Do you expect to change others? Does this in someway fulfill your need to feel above and better, then the others that post on this site?

Threads such as this only divide and fragment the membership into little micro groups and clusters of friends. This site is a community and should always been seen as much more then little tribal groups fighting for control or popularity. Majority of us outgrew that mentality during recess breaks in grade school.

People leave for their own personal reasons and if they decide to leave or post less...Why do they need to advertise that? You came to this site via your own free will and you can leave on your own free will. Why stir the pot and try to further divide the ranks?

Hobbies change...everything changes that is a fact! The world is much different today then when I was born, maybe for worse. I doubt that it will ever be the same again. Does that mean; that, I should hate the world or the people in it because "change is a constant". No, all I can change is my expectations, and expand my understanding of what is taking place around me. Based on that I can choose to participate or remove myself from what is taking place around me. But, I may risk, being left behind.

Just like the world, this hobby will not revert back to the "good old days" for that only exists in our memories. Usually, our memories are fonder than what actually was.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #485197 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:46 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Very WELL said Dave. There is always a lot of whining on this site and there is no reason for it. I buy and sell and have always done ok. If you are going to buy on this site items are usually priced at a level for "keeping" not selling. If you want to find a deal for you pickers, go to ebay.
Don't continue to knock Old Gas, it was set up for us to use and enjoy

hotcidr #485199 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray, John wasn't knocking Oldgas...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
redindianguy #485201 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You know there is always a problem with generalization. While I am relatively new to this site and collecting I appreciate the opportunity to purchase from people on OG. It depends on need and desire. I'll pass on the over expensive items and less needed ones but I have a decent expectation that they will be real and the deals honored. So far I've not been disappointed unlike with eBay. The guys that ask outrageous prices and some are pickers and some are long timers on OG, I learn a lot from the reaction to the product and the price. I have no problem dealing with pickers as long as they are not looking to buy and flip at three times the price the next day. I'd love to have the picking life style, at least the one on seen on TV but it's not like that and I would suck at it. So I will let others find my treasures and I will pay the "premium" for their time and effort.
But I am here primarily as a collector who can get more knowledge and insight than products.I hope all the long established collecter/members stay on looking to contribute. Interestingly enough the more controversial members who are in to flip product seem to come and go in a relatively short period as they out themselves and move on.This site will always be in evolution as new members and established members come and go. Call it the circle of digital life.
Fred

gulfiend! #485204 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis isn't knocking oldgas and I don't think he is whining. I know the good ole days are gone but mutual respect should not be. In the time I have been here I have never tried to buy something for half of what it's worth or try and trade you my junk for your good stuff. Over the last couple of years I have had that happen to me several times.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Dave's Garage #485205 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:17 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Take a real look at the memberships of this site... guys that have been here years and participated on regular basis in the forums are going away. These are the guys that helped build this site! I don't post like i used to and i decided to quit looking for awhile. I didn't come on here a year ago saying i was going to quit and looking for people to tell me "not to quit" the site or looking for sympathy. I just lost interest in this site and decided to step away for awhile.
I decided to sell a few things a month or so ago as some stuff has come up and i can't even sell on here without getting aggravated!

So to answer a question about why post a thread like this... it's so people like me that don't like where the site has gone can say something about it and let others chime in that have the same opinion. Statements like... "if you don't like where the site has gone then move on" is what most of the people that helped build this site has done.

Everyone knows this site will never be what it used to be... greed and fraud has come to play and true collectors won't post pictures of the "good stuff" like they used to.

What's funny is the guys that have been collecting/picking for 6 months come on here and think they "know it all" because they bought books with prices in it. The way to become a real collector is to become friends with guys that have been doing this for sometime that have knowledge in this hobby and learn from them and ask questions or go to shows and pick stuff up and look at it. Instead people don't have time for that because they want information now because the internet has that power... somewhat.

hotcidr #485206 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't earned the (whiskers ) yet I feel to say much about a lot of things here . I like to listen and learn mainly but I want to say I am glad to have found old gas . I agree 100% with what you said John and see a lot of what you are referring to as well. All you seasoned collectors ,with all due respect need to know there is still a lot of younger guys out there like myself i think that are very appreciative of your knowledge and opinions that you may share . With that being said I agree and hope in time the good will shine through over the bad , and guys like yourself hopefully will always be here and the pickers and flippers can just move on . Maybe in a few years after all this silly reality tv burns out that will help some I hope. But I sure see it , almost a comedy at times.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
gulfiend! #485207 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:20 AM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
First off I very seldom sell, maybe that's the reason I have a very limited play money. I do have some stuff that I have upgraded which I will probably carry to Dixie gas in the spring.
I'm really lazy and don't want to ship.
Now the question wonder if the for sale add that states this is not a fire sell, know worth, please don't ask to make a offer or no lowball offers please would help in sellers listing.
Sure its our nature to want a deal but when stated one should not bother seller.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Gasman84470 #485212 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you're going to actively search for stuff 'in the wild' - i.e., in long-shuttered buildings, junkyards, estate sales, etc. - then I would agree that you're doing something of value for the hobby, by literally bringing things to the market that otherwise might not be available for collectors...

...however, if you're going to sit on your brains scrolling through craigslist or eBay, buying/marking up things already ON the market, then you're not doing anyone any favors...on the contrary, you're actually making it harder for collectors to afford the pieces they need...you're just insinuating yourself in the middle, adding an unnecessary step to the process...thanks to Reality TV (and those who patronize it) there are those who do just that...some actually proclaim that we collectors should be somehow thankful for their 'service', and are then offended when they are denigrated for 'picking'...

...all (well, most) collectors pick up bargains to swap/sell to help fund their collections, and it should be obvious that I'm not referring to that practice...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Oct 15 2013 09:40 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #485215 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:43 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Gulfiend!

Loyd Pierce #485216 Tue Oct 15 2013 09:51 AM
Online Cool
Every group has different kinds of people. Your local community, your employer, church or other organization undergoes change all the time. Most of us learn to pick out the people we like to associate with and those who we avoid.

I've evolved to distance myself from the takers, the self-centered people who care little about the next guy, the hobby or the community. I have tried at times, but I've learned that it is near impossible to change most people, especially the irregular ones that don't seem to fit in right anywhere.

So pick the people who you want to interact with because of compatibility or necessity. Ignore the posts by people who annoy you. When someone breaks the forum rules, click the "Notify" button to tell the moderators.

Don't let takers steal the enjoyment of your relationship with the good folks and the hobby.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Loyd Pierce #485221 Tue Oct 15 2013 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have also thought of selling some items as I have done in the past. When I get a Low Ball offer & haven't asked for OBO, I Ignore it.
I also try to Ignore the ones I have added to my IGNORE LIST [great option], even when they post that I'm Ignoring them [telling others I'm Ignoring them].

What good does it do to post on an item that is For Sale; That's a good price/I like it/wish I could afford it/etc.
When an item is posted & you see something interesting in back ground, send a PM [if your not being ignored] & ask about it, don't highjack the post dragging it away from item[s] offered.
db

Dick Bennett #485222 Tue Oct 15 2013 10:25 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
What good does it do to post on an item that is For Sale; That's a good price/I like it/wish I could afford it/etc.
When an item is posted & you see something interesting in back ground, send a PM [if your not being ignored] & ask about it, don't highjack the post dragging it away from item[s] offered.
db

Dick, you forgot the most important one. (I WISH, I WISH. I WISH I WAS CLOSER). Just had to say that..

WANTED:::Barn Hangers...and other fine junk...
gulfiend! #485226 Tue Oct 15 2013 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So this site has made it easier for pickers to get a price from us and then they double that price on ebay or on here. That frustrates some. You have the choice to price, ignore or just plain skip any posts.

You get to choose the oldgas experience you want. Seems simple to me.

Scott Wright
powerlube #485235 Tue Oct 15 2013 11:27 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Humans hate change. Jarvis is typical of our species.

Most websites you visit today are far different than when they were first brought to life. Some for the good, others not so much. The question is, do you still derive benefit from it?

Some sites become defunct and others merely become dusty tomes whose information hasn't been updated in 5-10 years.

Oldgas.com on the other hand, remains relevant to those it serves today just as much to those it served 9 years ago. Whether pure collector, picker, or switch-hitter, each group has something to add to the mix whether one person or another denies that value.

Just like window shopping at the mall, you can look at the price in a window, if you don't like the price you're not being forced to purchase it. But don't lambast the seller because you disagree, this holds true for both collectors and pickers. And don't be offended because someone wants to buy something for less, that's the nature of commerce. Simply state your price and move on to the next customer.

There is no guarantee of sale or offer on Oldgas, it is simply one place where interested parties gather and some may simply enjoy the history while others enjoy the commerce. Don't decry one another, embrace the opportunities this site offers. And don't be offended if no one lifts more than a few keystrokes for the occasional temper tantrum. Just move along to the next window and enjoy the mall.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #485242 Tue Oct 15 2013 12:15 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
John I looked up your latest sell thread and yes prices are fair.
And I understand where you are coming from,many that has helped me along the way have come and gone. I think you was the one I contacted when Pierce globe was at auction and you kindly helped with value. Thanks so much!

Maybe its time for the rules to be expanded in the for sell section once again. That for sale with price--means just that. Yet rules are made to be broken right!!
The way it was is gone the ease of the quick flip is full bore and that's sad for this hobbie and collectors as a whole.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #485255 Tue Oct 15 2013 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I may only be 18, but I feel like all of the dang shows on TV have really brought about the "picker" in a lot of people. Personally I think it sucks because I collect Gas and Oil because I love it and it is my passion. Its not about what you buy things for if you are going to enjoy them forever. I hate when people buy and sell and buy and sell to make money, what is the enjoyment in that??

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #485261 Tue Oct 15 2013 12:53 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I am very new here, so new maybe I shouldn't even express an opinion. But would it be fair to say the effect of shows like American Pickers will be (in the long run) temporary?

By this I mean sooner or later the ones who are running in the game just to make money will get bored when those shows go off the air, and they eventually will.

Or would you guys say the effect the shows have had on pricing will be felt forever? Have they over-inflated the value of the items?

I remember a time say 20 yars ago you could stop at the local 'junk yards' and find some really cool stuff for next to nothing. Now the prices are out of site.

Last edited by F40LM; Tue Oct 15 2013 12:55 PM.
bsplichal95 #485263 Tue Oct 15 2013 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bsplichal95
I may only be 18, but I feel like all of the dang shows on TV have really brought about the "picker" in a lot of people. Personally I think it sucks because I collect Gas and Oil because I love it and it is my passion. Its not about what you buy things for if you are going to enjoy them forever. I hate when people buy and sell and buy and sell to make money, what is the enjoyment in that??

You are 100% right the history channel has put the buy and sell bug in everyone. I know that I try to get the best price I can because I enjoy haggling the price it's the satisfaction of knowing that you tried your best to get that killer pice for your collection. Just my thoughts

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
bsplichal95 #485265 Tue Oct 15 2013 01:08 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Buying from one person and selling to another has been a time honored business position in commerce for thousands of years. And here you talk as if pickers just all of the sudden popped up on the scene to make a profit and ski-daddle on their merry way.

Though there are fly by night sellers, there is a far larger group of traders who have dealt honorably in the business of what was junk to one man and a collectible to another. What long time collector has not stopped at a junk shop, scrap yard, equipment auction, estate sale, flea market, etc and not found a piece to add to their collection.

A traders job is to see value where someone else does not and put his own money down in hopes that a buyer sees greater value that will afford a profit to the trader. Whether he sells to a collector directly or places an item in an auction is irrelevant. It then is the final buyer who affixes a value.

Can't afford a 1939 Texaco sign today? Wait to find it, don't bitch because someone 2 states away sees more value in that sign than you. Don't want to sell that Texaco sign for $1200 because you saw 1 auction for $1500, then hold onto that sign and that price until you find your buyer. Don't want someone to offer you less than you are asking? Sorry, but it's rare for anyone, even a pure collector not to ask for a discount.

I've attended enough shows to realize that many collectors will never sell their signs at a show because they are waiting for their price without discount. Yet they continue to bring the same pieces year after year to the same shows, setup the same way every time and never sell anything because they think their price is fair. Yet these same people willingly mock a picker's asking price or an auction result as unrealistic.

Markets fluctuate regardless of what you collect. The best you can hope for is that you buy when things are cheap and hope that they are worth at least the same if not more when they wind up being sold. The value for any collecting hobby is not monetary, but in personal enjoyment while you are surrounding yourself in that hobby. Put the value in the right perspective.

carolinaskies #485276 Tue Oct 15 2013 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
And here you talk as if pickers just all of the sudden popped up on the scene to make a profit and ski-daddle on their merry way.

...and here you talk as if there's no correlation between 'Picker TV' and the steep influx of quick-buck wannabes...

gulfiend! #485277 Tue Oct 15 2013 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most Grasshoppers should wait till after they leave the larva stage before giving advice on how to fly.

carolinaskies #485278 Tue Oct 15 2013 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unlike many of you here , I'm on a very fixed income . I had thousands of dollars worth of stuff in the 1980's . Problem was , family obligations , moving from Dallas to Virginia to help with those obligations and a weak job market took my collection and spread it all over the map . I buy what I can determine is a "Good Buy " on products now . Yes, the models I do help to supplement my small collection . I don't have Cable T V , so the so called "Reality shows" I see are here on this board . I'm not in this for investment purposes or to "Turn Over" a piece for a fast buck. I collect what appeals to me , sometimes , I pay too much and I still marvel at it's intrinsic value ............... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #485284 Tue Oct 15 2013 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Selling stuff on here is always a touchy subject.
I buy and sell to FUEL my collection of Mobil and Sinclair items. Without that i am a sitting duck and cant afford to collect.

Now for the sellers.
There are some on here that i just ignore when i see they have stuff for sale. Reputation is everything and some just have a bad one.

I have been lucky enough to find a few estate collections lately and buy them fairly and sell them fairly. This has helped me tremendously as i am able to afford what i like. I like to feel that sometime i help the next collector that is looking for that item that doesnt fit my collection.

As for selling, people will always have differences of opinion on how it "Should" be done. Sometimes i just like to move stuff quick and get it gone. I have people contact me and offer me less on an item and sometimes if they are buy enough other stuff i help them out and get rid of it. I never worry about someone else making some more $$ on the item then i did. If so i would consider myself a "Picker" (which i dont), i am a collector and all of us at one point in time will sell an item.

This site is a great place to meet people in the same hobby as you. I just met John this week and bought some stuff from John and didnt ask to change the price. If you like it and can afford it go for it if, if it isnt really over priced.

One pet-pev of mine is that when someone says they will take an item and they dont follow through. It has happened to me a few times on here. Please just keep your word and follow through or dont make the offer.

So next time i see an item or a person selling that i think is unfairly priced or a person that has a Bad Rep, i just click on to the next page.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #485290 Tue Oct 15 2013 02:46 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've been picking for 45 years. The "T.V.Pickers" and all the other wannabes on here need to gain personal experience. Not just use this site to profit. John, I understand how you feel and am sorry. I, on the other, hand plan on staying around and being a pain for the "truly clueless" who venture to this site. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Tue Oct 15 2013 02:52 PM.
gasmansgp #485312 Tue Oct 15 2013 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there are so many good points and opinions here that an open person will have to appreciate .....however there are a few others in this world who are very narrow and set in their ways , you will never please them.....i am a natural born collector and some of these negative nellies will call me a horder.......then when i sell some of this stuff that i pay way to much for. then i'm linning my pockets ..LOL wow wow wow ..yet when they gouge you in whatever proffession they may be in, its perfectly fine and normal....there seems to be a double standard, much hypocrisy's, jealousies, just like real life.LOL....
.....there is no winning with these people and personnaly i could careless...in most cases they have never met you and have never done a deal with you, however they sure have many opinions about you..LOL...these are absolutely some of the worst...if i choose to do this as a business, its mine, not your's and if you attack me for it, be prepared to hear my opionions also..i will be man enough to defend myself and not let anybody else control my life........

..............Jim P. said it very well

::::Every group has different kinds of people. Your local community, your employer, church or other organization undergoes change all the time. Most of us learn to pick out the people we like to associate with and those who we avoid.

I've evolved to distance myself from the takers, the self-centered people who care little about the next guy, the hobby or the community. I have tried at times, but I've learned that it is near impossible to change most people, especially the irregular ones that don't seem to fit in right anywhere.

So pick the people who you want to interact with because of compatibility or necessity. Ignore the posts by people who annoy you. When someone breaks the forum rules, click the "Notify" button to tell the moderators.

Don't let takers steal the enjoyment of your relationship with the good folks and the hobby.

roadrelics #485357 Tue Oct 15 2013 07:30 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Great comments, and fun to read.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #485372 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All Im saying is that the shows have brought about many many "pickers" I'm not saying that they weren't around before. But maybe I shouldn't be talking........I don't have the experience you veterans on OldGas have. I really appreciate all the posts from the veterans on here because these are the people to look up to and greatly respect from a person in my position who is 18. I look up to all you older guys on here and you all have really helped me with Gas and Oil knowledge, collecting, and history.

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #485457 Wed Oct 16 2013 08:59 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: bsplichal95
All I look up to all you older guys on here and you all have really helped me with Gas and Oil knowledge, collecting, and history.

I agree. And I also agree with all the other posts above. The main reason why I buy and sell stuff is so I can stay in the hobby, like mcguffeyd1 said. I am not one of t hose "pickers" who comes here just to buy and sell. I love looking at what other people get in the BOTW, and seeing pictures of all the shows, all the info of the companies, and items I haven't seen. Without this site, I would have never been able to be in the hobby, or learn about all the repro's, and I wouldn't have heard of MI gas, or any of the shows. That's all I have to say.

Thanks
Noah

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Gas globe guy #485520 Wed Oct 16 2013 01:09 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Of course my post gets removed. But it's OK for others to rag on one of the Ways I make an income and plently of others as well. Thanks for making this one sided Moderators

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Perdue31 #485536 Wed Oct 16 2013 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see JJs point and agree with some but not all comments in this thread. The site has changed. Parts for the better, parts not so much so. A lot of people used Old Gas to network with friends and joke around. A lot of people probably don't know what happens when something gets "Jarvised" or a lot of other stuff that went on here before their time. I also think Jim is running the site the way it should be ran. Everyone gets a chance to contribute and if they abuse their privilege they can have their post removed or their use of the site restricted. Change happens with everything in life. Some of the old timers no longer post because they are no longer with us. Some sold off their collection and moved on to other interest. Some get tired of the bickering and avoid the site. People will always be coming into and leaving the hobby. I think Jim has bent over backwards to try to make the site good for everyone but we all know you can not please everyone all of the time. Perhaps the reply to Johns original post would be, if you don't like it, make your own site. Not trying to be negative but you/ we can very easily set up an "Old Petro" site on facebook. Its free and the program is already there and a lot of Old Gassers are already on FB. That would be your site, your rules and members allowed on your site by you giving them permission only. If you don't like their actions, delete them! There is some stuff on Old Gas I skip right over as I do not want to waste my time on it or get my BP up over something that is gone with the click of a mouse. I enjoy OG, I check on it a couple times a day, at home and on my phone. It is still a good place to network, pass on info and keep your fingers on pulse on the hobby. I also check the Cheese site but maybe only once a month or so. I was on OG first and it just seems more familiar. Some of the "Pickers" everyone is always talking about are in it only for the money. A lot of the true collectors buy stuff for their collection with their disposable income. When I look at the excel sheet with my inventory and prices paid on it, I think of what all else I could have done with the money instead. I could buy a small starter house in some areas with what I have invested. Others could buy a mansion. And maybe the pickers that everyone wants to knock are doing it as their only source of income or are doing it just to put food on the table. Maybe bad for the hobby but maybe their way to feed their kids. Some do dig stuff up and get it in the collector circle that other wise would be sitting in a forgotten shed someplace. Others just want to be flippers and make a buck. Maybe the ultimate picker, Mr B, buys stuff for the Barrette Jackson auctions. From what I have seen, he is willing to pay a fair price for nice stuff and a lot of it sells for crazy big money at the auctions. I myself see him as an asset to the hobby. While he does remove some stuff from the affordable collectibles market, he is getting more people with ca$h money interested. When it is time to sell my collection, I hope those same big money people are at the sale. The hobby takes all kinds of people and a lot of hobbies have the same issues. I try to keep my Old Gas experience positive, try to post some positive and helpful stuff and try to skip over the negatives. The site to me is what I let it be. So John, if you do set up your own facebook page for petro people, let me know as I would like to join it as well as stay on OG. Hope to see you at the shows.
Thanks Jim for keeping the lights on

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #485552 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:21 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
People should not talk ***** about pickers on here PERIOD. You do not see any pickers on here talking ***** about salesman, car dealers, construction works, or whatever the hell people do to make ends meet do you??? HELL NO! So all of you who talk ***** about pickers should not run your mouth about us and not expect us to take it personal. I do not know about all of you on here, but I was raised to take pride in what I do. And if someone talks ***** about it, by all means I am going to stand up for what I do. If you do not like it, then TOUGH S***!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Perdue31 #485555 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Easy, Perdue. Take a deep breath....Personally, I have no problems with pickers and as the moderator of the Values Section, I think that info can be helpful. there are several memebers on this site that dislike the Values section. It is something that has changed the site over the years.

I will express an opinion here, I think what some of the folks dislike about the pickers is they see this site as primarily and originally for collectors. Even though most of us have bought and sold items...most of still primarily collect. Although many of them used to buy Wayne 60s for $100 and they wouldn't sell them for that little today....a good many bought for the enjoyment. Personally, I think there is room on this site for everyone, some people will resent those pickers whose primary goal is to make $$. Again, personally I don't care how someone makes their $$$ as long as it is legal and ethical.

Last edited by Alex; Wed Oct 16 2013 03:42 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Perdue31 #485556 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has always been a Collectors Forum & Yes all collector do sell some items for whatever reason at some point.

Wes Maxwell #485559 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I can see JJs point and agree with some but not all comments in this thread. The site has changed. Parts for the better, parts not so much so. A lot of people used Old Gas to network with friends and joke around. A lot of people probably don't know what happens when something gets "Jarvised" or a lot of other stuff that went on here before their time. I also think Jim is running the site the way it should be ran. Everyone gets a chance to contribute and if they abuse their privilege they can have their post removed or their use of the site restricted. Change happens with everything in life. Some of the old timers no longer post because they are no longer with us. Some sold off their collection and moved on to other interest. Some get tired of the bickering and avoid the site. People will always be coming into and leaving the hobby. I think Jim has bent over backwards to try to make the site good for everyone but we all know you can not please everyone all of the time. Perhaps the reply to Johns original post would be, if you don't like it, make your own site. Not trying to be negative but you/ we can very easily set up an "Old Petro" site on facebook. Its free and the program is already there and a lot of Old Gassers are already on FB. That would be your site, your rules and members allowed on your site by you giving them permission only. If you don't like their actions, delete them! There is some stuff on Old Gas I skip right over as I do not want to waste my time on it or get my BP up over something that is gone with the click of a mouse. I enjoy OG, I check on it a couple times a day, at home and on my phone. It is still a good place to network, pass on info and keep your fingers on pulse on the hobby. I also check the Cheese site but maybe only once a month or so. I was on OG first and it just seems more familiar. Some of the "Pickers" everyone is always talking about are in it only for the money. A lot of the true collectors buy stuff for their collection with their disposable income. When I look at the excel sheet with my inventory and prices paid on it, I think of what all else I could have done with the money instead. I could buy a small starter house in some areas with what I have invested. Others could buy a mansion. And maybe the pickers that everyone wants to knock are doing it as their only source of income or are doing it just to put food on the table. Maybe bad for the hobby but maybe their way to feed their kids. Some do dig stuff up and get it in the collector circle that other wise would be sitting in a forgotten shed someplace. Others just want to be flippers and make a buck. Maybe the ultimate picker, Mr B, buys stuff for the Barrette Jackson auctions. From what I have seen, he is willing to pay a fair price for nice stuff and a lot of it sells for crazy big money at the auctions. I myself see him as an asset to the hobby. While he does remove some stuff from the affordable collectibles market, he is getting more people with ca$h money interested. When it is time to sell my collection, I hope those same big money people are at the sale. The hobby takes all kinds of people and a lot of hobbies have the same issues. I try to keep my Old Gas experience positive, try to post some positive and helpful stuff and try to skip over the negatives. The site to me is what I let it be. So John, if you do set up your own facebook page for petro people, let me know as I would like to join it as well as stay on OG. Hope to see you at the shows.
Thanks Jim for keeping the lights on

Very well said!
I have no problems with pickers,except those that sell me something,and then become to busy to bother with shipping it,even after I paid for it!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Dick Bennett #485560 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't have any problem with pickers per se but some that have joined here don't seem to get it. If you have something for sale put a fair price on it and see if it sells, I watched one sign that started at $1200 and was bumped over and over and finally sold for around $300, it was laced with overblown descriptions the whole time. If you come on here please give the members the respect that they deserve. I haven't been on here as long as some but I'm here for the love of the hobby, not to make money off it.

Neil Gerrard #485562 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO,
Oldgas needs to Require a 10% Fee of asking price before an item can be posted in any For Sale/Trade Forum, But that puts more work on Jim & at a certain point he'd have to Report all sales over $XXX to the IRS. NO FREE RIDES.

Most members have less than 1% of their post's/reply's in the For Sale Forums. Other members have More than 99% of their post's/reply's in For Sale Forums.

Perdue31 #485570 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:47 PM
Online Cool
I've have worked in the car business over 40 years. The people who didn't talk to and treat potential customers with respect didn't last long. Employees, managers and owners who treated people poorly couldn't keep it up too long and they were out.

It amazes me how a few non-collector sellers don't respect the audience of folks who read their posts. I think most people are like me in that they don't want to deal with a seller talking trash, running others down or not knowing what he's doing. True, if a serious collector wants an item enough at a fair price, he might make a deal with the devil, but most buyers want to avoid the self-centered drama surrounding those who put money ahead of people and the hobby.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #485576 Wed Oct 16 2013 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It might be a Good Thing that JP was born w/ Grey Hair, at least he hasn't pulled all of it out yet! laugh

Dick Bennett #485578 Wed Oct 16 2013 05:14 PM
Online Cool
I didn't have any grey hair until both my daughters became teenagers. I think it then turned grey overnight. crazy

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #485579 Wed Oct 16 2013 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nope, that's when it started falling out in Front!

Oldgas #485580 Wed Oct 16 2013 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well,maybe a little off topic but......

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !! Oh boy.. I think I may be in trouble!
And in Jim's defense.....

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Wed Oct 16 2013 05:41 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Oldgas #485584 Wed Oct 16 2013 05:40 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Charge $120 annual fee to be a member. Weed out people who abuse the website or refuse to treat fellow members respectfully. If a member can't pay the fee because he or she financially can't pay then exempt them or adjust fee to their ability to pay. This might improve the overall experience. I have only had one negative experience on oldgas and 99.9% wonderful experiences. Oldgas is a great forum to gain knowledge and to enjoy the hobby.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
hotrodhudson48 #485589 Wed Oct 16 2013 06:10 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This just might help, and you could probably get the same result by only charging $50? It never ceases to amaze me how many people aren't willing to pay a nominal fee for something that provides them great benefit or enjoyment on a regular basis. Civic groups like PTOs, chamber of commerce, clubs are great examples....I'm sure Jim could use the money for operational costs too!

Oldgas #485627 Wed Oct 16 2013 07:19 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I treat everyone with respect on this site. Members who know me or have bought from me over the years should know that. Sorry I do not put up with people bashing what I do. If it makes me lose buyers. I'm sorry. Am I going to call someone out when they say/do something that disrespects me? Yes.

Perdue31 #485631 Wed Oct 16 2013 07:29 PM
W
W
If you feel someone is picking on you,, click the NOTIFY tab & report it.

Perdue31 #485633 Wed Oct 16 2013 07:36 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I think that all this grouping of individuals in these categories increases the tension between identified groups. It might be better for this forum to quit with you're a picker-low-baller-wannabe collector...type language because the definition of each is so loose or could almost fit anyone at a given time. Plus, we all start somewhere in this hobby. Airing out one's laundry might be better served by discussing the issue with a respected veteran of this site before posting grievances on the forum. I am sure we all have something to bring to the table to make it an overall better experience for all who participate.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
Perdue31 #485636 Wed Oct 16 2013 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thats great, ditto ditto .....

Originally Posted By: Perdue31
I treat everyone with respect on this site. Members who know me or have bought from me over the years should know that. Sorry I do not put up with people bashing what I do. If it makes me lose buyers. I'm sorry. Am I going to call someone out when they say/do something that disrespects me? Yes.

well said Mike

Oldgas #485645 Wed Oct 16 2013 09:08 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I use to sell about anything and everthing to make a buck, But ive realy have taken a liken of alot of the stuff. If you guys even knew how many pictures people stopped to take of my small gas station i had out front of my house, also had some maneckens taped too the gas pumps. It was pricless. I had a few old timers stop by and talk about when they where children, It brings back memories. that meens alot to them. I still sometimes have to sell a few items to put money back into the bank. I cant keep it all. I dont call my self a picker, some of you think that i am but what i have kept is really starting to add up. Ill have to post some pics of my hords but its proable not as bad as some of you guys.

Last edited by Dustin; Wed Oct 16 2013 09:12 PM.
Dustin #485647 Wed Oct 16 2013 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to apologize to everyone on here for my attitude about the whole picker thing. Everyone has their own way to express the hobby. I should not have said that like I did. I agree with the posts above...everyone could somehow be put into that category. I must respect other peoples passions too.

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #485675 Thu Oct 17 2013 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Oldgas is large enough and diverse enough to accommodate both sides of this issue.

At times the zealousness of the new pickers around here is evenly matched by the elitism of veteran collectors.

I think the mods do a great job here and the site is worth reading every day.

Ohio Oil #485680 Thu Oct 17 2013 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
I think Oldgas is large enough and diverse enough to accommodate both sides of this issue.

At times the zealousness of the new pickers around here is evenly matched by the elitism of veteran collectors.

Very well said!!!,,, and in only 3 short sentences!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

Very well said!!!,,, and in only 3 short sentences!

I agree as well with the succinct estimate. Though I believe I said the same thing in more words earlier.. smile

I enjoy this site almost daily as time permits.

As for charging money... how about those who want the site to charge for membership pay for it and those who don't or can't just continue on. For your membership fee we'll get Jim to make you a custom Avatar that says you're "special". smile

carolinaskies #485708 Thu Oct 17 2013 08:52 AM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Sarcasm is really what is not needed here but it might be expected from some members who oppose ideas of other members.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
hotrodhudson48 #485739 Thu Oct 17 2013 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't want to get involved but if this was a face to face conversation what would happen?

Sounds like there MAY be a brawl. eek

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
carolinaskies #485743 Thu Oct 17 2013 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
For your membership fee we'll get Jim to make you a custom Avatar that says you're "special". smile

and maybe one for you that says "entitled" laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved