Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#484897 Mon Oct 14 2013 07:09 AM
S
slimert Offline OP
OP Offline
S

I have an Erie 129 gas pump. Looking for a gas nozzle hanger rest or cradle. The part that moves up and down when the nozzle is removed. The square opening is 2".

Also need the 2 inspection doors that are under the computer face.

Also would like a nice 13.5" period globe either "No Nox" or Gulf and a pair of plates with the same theme.

The repopped globes and plates are ok but looking for a little more original, correct pieces.

inspection door.jpg no nox globe.jpg
Last edited by slimert; Mon Oct 14 2013 07:10 AM.
slimert #485011 Mon Oct 14 2013 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you're looking for 'original, correct pieces', the pump that takes the access door you show was a porcelain-panelled pump, and wouldn't have used pump plates...yes, they were used 15 years after the pump was made, but that doesn't make them period-correct...

...decals would be most appropriate, and might also cover the screw damage...if your panels DON'T have screw hole damage, then by all means you should NOT screw signs to them...

...if your pump panels are all orange, you'll need That Good Gulf Gasoline or Gulf Traffic Gasoline decals...if your panels are white/blue/orange, you'll need Gulf No-Nox Knockproof with Ethyl decals...

...also, it wouldn't have used a 13.5" No-Nox globe, as there is no such thing...the picture you posted is a fantasy piece...the only original No-Nox globes were no longer used by the time your pump was manufactured...what you want (again, if you're looking for 'original, correct pieces') is a 12.5" Gulf logo globe...there are repros out there that you can hardly tell are fakes...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #485153 Tue Oct 15 2013 06:18 AM
S
slimert Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your input. My pump was a rot box but I always think I can fix anything, just takes a little more time and effort! It's beat up panels are orange porcelain without screw holes, so I'll look for the decals you describe, who would sell a Gulf Traffic Gasoline decal?

Would either the 'Gulf' globe or the 'That Good Gulf' globe be correct?

Also, the porcelain doors must be really rare, never have seen these only the newer aluminum or stainless doors.

I wish the vendors would list globes, decals etc with application years for novices like me!

Now just need to a nozzle rest.

Thanks again, Mike.

Last edited by slimert; Tue Oct 15 2013 06:31 AM.
slimert #485187 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...no, a That Good Gulf globe, like the No-Nox globe, is too old for your pump...only a 'Gulf' globe would be correct, unless you're doing a Marine pump - and that stuff is MUCH harder to find...

...I don't know that anyone is selling repros of Gulf Traffic decals...you have time on that, as that's about the last thing you'll need...

...I agree the vendors could do more re: dates and correct applications...judging by the photos I see of 'restored' pumps, they sell more items to people who apparently value authenticity less than they do 'bling', in their pumps...

...that said, the best advice I can give you, is for you to do some photo research of pumps like yours, and learn what would be correct and what wouldn't be...Gulf was a large corporation with tens of thousands of stations when your pump was made, and there are many photos of stations with pumps like yours...take some time - look around on the 'net for OLD photos (not new photos of old stuff)...you'll find them...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #485426 Wed Oct 16 2013 06:49 AM
S
slimert Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That clears up a lot of confusion.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge, really appreciated!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved