Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are a lot of different thoughts on eBay bidding strategy, just like on bidding at an auction or pricing things to sell at a show. A lot of people at a show tack on an extra 10-20% to the initial asking price knowing that they will probably get a lower offer. It gives them some bargaining room. EBay bidding strategy also has a lot of different thought processes. I will throw out an opening bid on something I like ( remember to copy / paste the item number in the Old Gas search box) at the start of the auction as eBay will send out outbid reminders and item ending soon reminders to help me remember it. Also, no bids can tell the seller possibly not much interest in the item and he may sell it off eBay. many different thoughts on the strategy to use. As for the Texaco globe, nice globe but it does have some condition issues. Should still bring good money

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob I never thought about bidding with that in mind. Interesting. Darin, when Ebay was older and one knew who it was bidding on something, I know personally some in the hobby that did exactly that. They wanted to be a BIG fish for a while and then dropped off explaining they weren't home or something. Dick I kneel at your feet. With two late twenties kids and texting I thought I knew all the short cuts - dumb but what is BIN? frown This globe as you all know will bring big bucks but I think I learned something here. I collect Texaco but won't be involved with this! Thanks guys!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Wes, I guess I never looked at it that way and it does make sense to me. I have bought a lot on Ebay in the past but now buy from trusted people like Lonnie for globes and whomever for other items they are known for. I sold a lot in the early days but got tired of the changing rules and frankly lost interest. I know race engines VERY well but that is about my only claim to fame smile Have a good one guys and thanks again. I learned something today for my 62 yr old brain to remember even being 62 ! Still waiting for his Highness Dick to answer my dumb question smile!! HAGD Rob

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I mostly avoid E-Bay as well - but I use Auction Sniper for everything I am seriuosly interested in. It bids at last second and you can change your mind and retract snipe before the auction closes.

Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At least this is somewhat reassuring that we will get to see what it brings.

Q: do you have a buy it now in mind?
A: Hello, I don't have a price in mind for the globe. I plan to let the auction run its course and sell to the highest bidder. Best Regards, Tom Wilson

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BIN = Buy It Now.
Newbie bidders think it means; Bump It Now!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BIN = buy it now

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heck if he dont know how to ship to could be BIN= Brok-in-Now!!!

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow....nice to see. Even though he talked about it, I think I would have cleaned it up a bit. For that kind of money, I would drive and pick it up and then drive back at 15 mph....LOL

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #485547 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:06 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Someone says the CD tells them $15,000.00, I guess in Columbus several years ago one went for $28,600.00 doesn't count.

How will/would it effect the value to re paint an etched globe ? Please some one that exactly knows. LOL

Alex #485548 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alex, he might be afraid of Soap & Water!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'm thinking he might be worried that the paint would wash off - and rightfully so...anyone who's dug old ACL soda bottles out of a dump know that sometimes the paint doesn't survive washing...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
Heck if he dont know how to ship to could be BIN= Brok-in-Now!!!

LOL

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Alex, he might be afraid of Soap & Water!

Ok, that's funny. I would think if you started with the white and gently wiped with a wet cloth and then gently touch the red and see what it does. I think it would increase the number of bids. If they are stains and don't come off, I think that would impact the value.

As far re painting, I am not an expert, but I would say no. On the other hand, they do restorations on old paintings and it doesn't affect the value. But, only my opinion, I would leave it alone.

Last edited by Alex; Wed Oct 16 2013 03:31 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #485564 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
An Old Painting is a 1 of a Kind, but a restoration still will affect the value some, w/o the resto it would have sold for less. The same painting found in it's original pristine condition would have Greatly enhanced the total value, maybe 2-3X what it sold for.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved