Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
So a young buddy of mine that does mechanic work for me took me back to show me where his grandfather 'had a couple of pumps' like my Short 39. The pics show a general idea of what I found.

The young man is now interested in selling this stuff. As you may know I am still new to the world of gas pumps.

I understnad selling it piece by piece would get him more money in the long run. But not sure he wants to wade through 100 transactions to get it gone. He may be more interested in a package deal for someone to come and take it all. None are in great shape, but there were SEVERAL pumps I think are still rebuildable.

I am looking for general advise on this situation. He is already offereing me a free pump and whatever parts I need for my Short 39. Would really like to help the kid out.

Any advise much appreciated and thanks for looking.

Michael

IMG_20130316_092822_464 small.jpg IMG_20130316_092826_117 small.jpg IMG_20130316_092831_540 small.jpg IMG_20130316_092836_653 small.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
More pics.

IMG_20130316_092902_251 small.jpg IMG_20130316_092927_430 small.jpg IMG_20130316_092940_563 small.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...condition, condition, condition...looks like there should be a pile of doors somewhere...

...you need to inventory EVERYTHING, and make sure the missing doors/parts are there...you'll need to stand everything up so you can see it...that's a little bit of work, but otherwise, you're making an uninformed offer...

...from the pics you posted, I'm not seeing a whole lot of money laying on the ground there, for sure...a lot of it depends how reasonable your friend is - and how much 'American peckers' he's been subjected to...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
probably do alright making a package deal.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd offer $20ea for the pump main bodies w/ all loose parts thrown in for cleaning up the mess, IF they will clean a path so you can get a pickup close enough to load [or use of a small tractor w/ bucket to remove them].

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've bought pumps out of Mississippi in the past. Because of the humidity, they are usually rough. I agree with all of the above. If not complete or in good condition, price them low. Replacement parts are expensive. After you stand them up, inventory the stuff, ask your friend where he wants to be on price? I never make an offer as it is his place to lay it out there. You can say yes or no. Then you can bargain starting with his numbers. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...condition, condition, condition...looks like there should be a pile of doors somewhere...

...you need to inventory EVERYTHING, and make sure the missing doors/parts are there...you'll need to stand everything up so you can see it...that's a little bit of work, but otherwise, you're making an uninformed offer...

...from the pics you posted, I'm not seeing a whole lot of money laying on the ground there, for sure...a lot of it depends how reasonable your friend is - and how much 'American peckers' he's been subjected to...

He realizes he won't get a pile of money for the stuff due to condition and missing doors. Then again I bet when we really start digging there will be some doors under other pumps etc. He is in need of funds at the moment, it would be a good chance for someone to get a sizable number of pumps for a fairly low price.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a job for " Super Buckles"!!! wink

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Looks like an awful lot of physical work ?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Offer scrap price for all with you doing the work. Pumps at 350 lbs a piece, do not know what un prepared is there. Figure $150.00 A ton with loading, you can do the math. At worst you can get some money back quickly if it is all like pictured. You will find some gems in there, along with snakes and what have you. Is it really work the trouble? is the question you must ask after inventory. Just my thoughts/

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or ya can sit at home w/ Cold Beer, AC & TV on w/ your favorite Loosing Ball Game/chatting on oldgas & wondering why ya can't find any thing cheap to by!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hahahahaha! LOL

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Or ya can sit at home w/ Cold Beer, AC & TV on w/ your favorite Loosing Ball Game/chatting on oldgas & wondering why ya can't find any thing cheap to by!

My favorite team won laugh

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Go buy them for scrap prices. As has been said, get a path to them and borrow his tractor if he has one

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would see if there are any pump plates or signs on them, i would also ask if he has any other parts mabey the good stuff is in the garage/barn

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved