Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#486029 - Fri Oct 18 2013 02:35 PM " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. "
mattthegasman Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania
Did or does this company make reproduction signs, am I taking the word "novelty" correctly ? I recently bought a sign that is/was supposed to be real from a guy and when it got here I noticed the very small print in the lower right " the novelty sign co. coshocton o. " Can anyone shed some light on this ? Thanks !

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#486038 - Fri Oct 18 2013 02:50 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: mattthegasman]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...I think that's an old sign company...'novelty' likely referred to 'advertising novelties'...

#486042 - Fri Oct 18 2013 03:04 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: gulfiend!]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif

#486043 - Fri Oct 18 2013 03:07 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: gulfiend!]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Matt, not sure this is the same Company? But, I believe it is:

http://www.noveltyadv.com/about.html

#486044 - Fri Oct 18 2013 03:17 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: Bob Richards]
NashMan Offline

Loc: Dothan AL
Novelty was one of the many sign and novelty advertising companies in Coshocton. Novelty is still in business and owned by the same family. I have never seen anyone reproduce a sign and mark it with any of the Coshocton sign companies, I would bet you sign is real.

#486082 - Fri Oct 18 2013 06:59 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: mattthegasman]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
Originally Posted By: mattthegasman
Did or does this company make reproduction signs, am I taking the word "novelty" correctly ? I recently bought a sign that is/was supposed to be real from a guy and when it got here I noticed the very small print in the lower right " the novelty sign co. coshocton o. " Can anyone shed some light on this ? Thanks !

Please post pictures of your recent purchase?.. cool

#486102 - Fri Oct 18 2013 07:52 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: advertologist]
THERMOMAN Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: smyrna, de USA
Baltimore enamel used word novelty a lot. Believe I've seen it on their signs.

#486119 - Fri Oct 18 2013 09:11 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: THERMOMAN]
TerryL Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: West Lafayette, Ohio
Novelty Advertising is still in business here in Coshocton Ohio. They are still family owned and have been here for many many years.

#486156 - Sat Oct 19 2013 05:49 AM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: TerryL]
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
Matt, I've been seeing a couple of , IMO, questionable, but authentic looking, tin embossed signs recently appearing around Northern -Central Ohio in the last year or so.(With "novelty sign" @ bottom right. At various auctions. They have been near mint with wood frames. A Texaco "Just ahead" and a Ford farm equiptment comes to mind. I was leary but they went for strong money.... Got a picture of your sign in question? This Texaco seemed kind of small for what it was advertising- I just stayed off it. It was like 2 foot by 3 foot or so. "Novelty" did make tin signs back in the day, from what I gather... Not sure if I have had any in my possession over the years though...

Attachments
photo.JPG

Edited by JimT (Sat Oct 19 2013 05:58 AM)

#486223 - Sat Oct 19 2013 03:10 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: JimT]
scottpcm Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: LaGrange, Ohio
Novelty, Ohio is a town where they made signs! I wondered the same thing until I did some research...Scott B.

#486243 - Sat Oct 19 2013 06:34 PM Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " [Re: scottpcm]
mattthegasman Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks guys, all the info is puting me a little more at ease with the deal !

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved