Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#485247 Tue Oct 15 2013 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
hi guys, just picked up this oilzum sign, and I was wondering if its authentic? no dates on it, or sign maker.it is a painted tin sign.it measures 23 7/8" long x 15" tall. not up to date on oilzum items so I thought I would ask. anybody ever see this type of sign before? thanks in advance!

phpMQQ2SlPM.jpg phpyd0ha4PM (1).jpg

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems to look odd but I don't know if the "driver" logo was ever modified like this cus it looks like his jaw line is not as sleek and defined as it is on the same logo oil can I have it looks more rounded and plump. And the word oil. What do the older ones think.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here's a similar one listed on eBay....there are some differences, but I'm no expert smile
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-OI...#ht_8610wt_1327

TOM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have searched around and compared similar signs . the one gargoyle posted on e-bay looks identical to me , as far as the driver and the diamond shape or (flag). I haven't seen the sign I have out there as a reproduction. I went with my gut on it and I think it is a legit sign.until I can find some more info on it or some one can help verify it. thanks for the input guys!any oilzum gurus out there?

Last edited by dodgeman60; Wed Oct 16 2013 04:06 AM.

Tim Flannery
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Fantasy

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was afraid it might be a repop. its true you learn something every day!

Tim Flannery
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
That's it? You tell the guy his sign is a fake but don't offer any evidence on what you based it on?
This has gotten to be quite common on the Oldgas forums - people making these claims to dispute the authenticity of something without offering anything to back it up.
The deal with the Red Hat sign in another thread a couple weeks ago is a good example. There were pictures of three different signs but no one offered any reasoning as to why they thought the OP sign was fake.
I know nothing about the sign above. The opinions vary, and I still know nothing about the sign above.

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #486999 Wed Oct 23 2013 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: r49th
That's it? You tell the guy his sign is a fake but don't offer any evidence on what you based it on?
This has gotten to be quite common on the Oldgas forums - people making these claims to dispute the authenticity of something without offering anything to back it up.
The deal with the Red Hat sign in another thread a couple weeks ago is a good example. There were pictures of three different signs but no one offered any reasoning as to why they thought the OP sign was fake.
I know nothing about the sign above. The opinions vary, and I still know nothing about the sign above.

Agreed

Follow the Red Indian Trail
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
So now all signs are fake, is that the agreed consensus? I have been watching this sign thing for years now, more than I care to recall and it's finally happened, they are all fake! There is only a handful of guys, about 10-15 that have the original signs, everyone else has fake signs!The sign in question is not a fake by the way.Get real boys.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have not held the sign in question,as such I can't say if it is original or not.

But, such signage was in use in the mid 1950s until the mid 1970s... I took a few such signs off of Stations that were being "removed" and/or "refurbished" in the 60s and 70s...

Since it is Oilzum, one is assured that it has been "popped". Here is one of the "new 'popped versions". And they come already distressed.

# 380687214030

An original (IMO), mid 1950s- mid 1970s; "Dealer Sign" that went unsold on ebay:

1956 image of Oilzum Wall advertising:

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Where to start..............

I almost didn't post that the sign dodgeman posted was a phony. I usually just send an email or PM, because of the potential that the non-believers will jump in, as happened here. But I wanted all readers, not just Tim, to know that it is fake.
Tim asked if sign was authentic, I answered no it is not (fantasy). Unfortunately for him, that wasn't what he was hoping to hear, hopefully it wasn't an expensive learning experience. How about his second question? Has anyone seen one (legit) before? Anyone? I didn't think so.

r49th, I do not publicly post fantasy or reproduction sign discrepancies/information. My opinion is the forgers/fraudsters most certainly follow these discussions on oldgas, and I sure don't want to enable them to create better phonies than they currently are polluting the hobby with.

redindianguy- ditto

Terry, don't understand the venom. Who said "all signs are fakes" ? Possibly you are lumping me in with some newbies who are quick to state "real" or "fake" without a clue. I assure you that is not me.

Bob, you could not have removed any signs like the one pictured in the original post, as it is a later fantasy item. "Such signage" as the OP pic was NOT in use in the 60s-70s, period. Also, the photos you posted are of completely different design styles than the OP pic.

There are a couple of ways to disprove me, one being a photo of OP sign in use. Don't waste your time searching for one though, none exist as it is a fantasy sign. And Dave, if you turn up a photo of your Harley shield in use, I'd love to see it.

As an aside on this topic, to no one in particular, sometimes defenders of fakes are innocent/naive. Sometimes it may be because they took a chance and bought something that was too good to be true. Sometimes they really got burned, but no amount of eye shutting, finger crossing & hoping will change a fake into real. Maybe a defender is just waiting to pass along the fake to an unsuspecting buyer. Maybe they are in cahoots with the fakers, or maybe they are the faker.

PS A pic of the OP sign should go in the Known Unmarked Reproduction column.

Last edited by MetroPetro; Wed Oct 23 2013 03:08 PM.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MetroPetro
Where to start..............

I almost didn't post that the sign dodgeman posted was a phony. I usually just send an email or PM, because of the potential that the non-believers will jump in, as happened here. But I wanted all readers, not just Tim, to know that it is fake.
Tim asked if sign was authentic, I answered no it is not (fantasy). Unfortunately for him, that wasn't what he was hoping to hear, hopefully it wasn't an expensive learning experience. How about his second question? Has anyone seen one (legit) before? Anyone? I didn't think so.

r49th, I do not publicly post fantasy or reproduction sign discrepancies/information. My opinion is the forgers/fraudsters most certainly follow these discussions on oldgas, and I sure don't want to enable them to create better phonies than they currently are polluting the hobby with.

redindianguy- ditto

Terry, don't understand the venom. Who said "all signs are fakes" ? Possibly you are lumping me in with some newbies who are quick to state "real" or "fake" without a clue. I assure you that is not me.

Bob, you could not have removed any signs like the one pictured in the original post, as it is a later fantasy item. "Such signage" as the OP pic was NOT in use in the 60s-70s, period. Also, the photos you posted are of completely different design styles than the OP pic.

There are a couple of ways to disprove me, one being a photo of OP sign in use. Don't waste your time searching for one though, none exist as it is a fantasy sign. And Dave, if you turn up a photo of your Harley shield in use, I'd love to see it.

As an aside on this topic, to no one in particular, sometimes defenders of fakes are innocent/naive. Sometimes it may be because they took a chance and bought something that was too good to be true. Sometimes they really got burned, but no amount of eye shutting, finger crossing & hoping will change a fake into real. Maybe a defender is just waiting to pass along the fake to an unsuspecting buyer. Maybe they are in cahoots with the fakers, or maybe they are the faker.

PS A pic of the OP sign should go in the Known Unmarked Reproduction column.

Very well said Ed.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A great thing about an opinion. We are all allowed to own one...

Ed, since I was there and you weren't.... Interesting....

COTM 2007... Oilzum....

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001707.html

1954 Magazine ad:

1957 Magazine ad:

1964 Magazine ad:

(and I supplied a couple images, before)

Strange that Bagley and White would spend "Tens of Thousands of Advertising Dollars" (probably, much more), in Magazine and Newspaper advertising for their "New Logo"... But, they never made any signs to be displayed in Garages, Gas Stations, Auto Service Departments, Auto Parts Stores....etc... To be displayed close to their "New Cans"....

So ensure that the Public, who were in such establishments, would/could relate Oilzum products to the "New Logo"...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for link to old COTM, but didn't see any sign like one in question above.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob I don't understand your posting, Ed is talking about the sign pictured originally in this thread and you supply numerous links and pictures of nothing similar. We should be comparing apples to apples

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved