Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#487429 Fri Oct 25 2013 10:25 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would have to say gas and oil collectibles, after taking a dive in 2007 price wise that is, are back at full strength and more. Can prices are way up with records being set everyday, pumps are going crazy, globes are all back and many way beyond that, signs are in orbit right now ...Need I say more! What amazes me are the asking prices and sometimes obtained prices of items in poor or fair condition. I guess this is all a good thing, to a point. The house of cards fell in 2007 because the over inflation caught up with itself and then several big buyers backed off and wham, the cards fell. I just hope prices don't get too carried away too quickly. When I see worn Gulf globes selling for $500-$700 that scares me! When I see rare signs beat to ***** and people getting big bucks that concerns me. But hey, it'll all come out in the wash at some point. Comments??? Scott B.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
scottpcm #487437 Fri Oct 25 2013 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I keep thinking there has to be another price correction coming down the pike because stuff has risen so fast the last year and a half? Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, it won't stop me from collecting the things I want, as long as I can afford them.
I think the person that would be affected the most if there was a price correction, would be the pickers that have a large inventory of average stuff.
I try to buy as nice of pieces as I can afford and I think that quality will always retain its value.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
scottpcm #487439 Fri Oct 25 2013 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is where we get the terms buyer and seller markets for sure.
All good hobby's have this up and down hill motion.

To name a few: Guns, Coins, Glassware, Sports Cards etc..
The list can go on and on but one thing is for sure, the super rare items will always have a larger calling than the normal items.
Prices and demand fluctuate all the time from people entering and leaving the hobby.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I had 6 pumps by 3 different owners offered to me last fall.
I told them no,I am not a buyer for any of them,but would tell others and don't want a dime if a deal is struck.
I contacted one seller with a buyer for his 2 pumps,who had recently contacted me.He told me they sold a few months ago.
I then contacted the other 2 sellers,and found out they sold their's earlier this year as well.
I didn't want their pumps last fall because they were priced way too high for me personally.
All 3 sellers told me they got their prices they quoted me last fall.
4 of the pumps were later flipped to new buyers as well.

I don't know if this was all a fluke in the hobby,but I was astonished to hear it all.
I still only buy what I want,and nothing else.

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Fri Oct 25 2013 12:35 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
This is where we get the terms buyer and seller markets for sure.
All good hobby's have this up and down hill motion.

To name a few: Guns, Coins, Glassware, Sports Cards etc..
The list can go on and on but one thing is for sure, the super rare items will always have a larger calling than the normal items.
Prices and demand fluctuate all the time from people entering and leaving the hobby.

In deed, a wise observation ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #487449 Fri Oct 25 2013 12:33 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I have to agree with all of the above statements. I collect what I can afford and save for what I can't. I hope it stays well but I too see a correction coming again also.

Thanks, Phil
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have this discussion at least once a week with a west coast collector. I think we have both come to the conclusion that the good stuff is not out there as much as it use to be. This leads to people spending big money on off condition items. Many of the high quality items are tucked away in collections. Most of the off condition items pop up on ebay and the buyers go crazy. Search through eaby and its even hard to find ORIGINAL items. Most of the stuff on there is not real. Eventually the off condition items will fall in price. I think the hobby is very strong especially for the economic condition this country is in. Only time will tell...........I buy what I like and try not to pay what I feel to be insane prices for common items.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I havn't followed this hobbie for years like some, but agree with Scott the prices of signage that is of poor quality is very concerning. A lens with a crack across it is just broke and doesn't hold any value to me personally. I just don't get it!

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Fri Oct 25 2013 01:34 PM. Reason: 2nd thought.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The high quality stuff is coming out from collections turning over and the low quality stuff that was left behind is being "reborn or found" to feed today's quick lust for the artwork or decorative style of the day. When a piece of particleboard with a vinyl sticker with a photo of a gas station stuck to it cost over $125.00 retail at TARGET it's EZ to sell or justify spending $200 or even $300 on a level 4 or 5 condition authentic porcelain or even tin sign. As a collector and base level ferret of signs in general I would say that in the last 3 years even the toasted junk I use to buy and sell for a $20 -$50 profit is long gone and being sold at the level we see all over. From Ebay to on line auctions. To get a true idea of real time values people need to get out there to the events where the good stuff is and see it in person. Strike up a conversation and be a good listener. There are truly some great people who will share there knowledge and maybe even a beer.

Last edited by Maxgas; Fri Oct 25 2013 02:07 PM.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Maxgas #487461 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott
This is a great topic! Thanks for posting it. I have enjoyed this one cause it hasn't been a fight about who is right and wrong.

This is what oldgas needs. Good quality discussions about what is happening.

Guess we will all ride the wave of collecting our stuff!!

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Maxgas #487465 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:31 PM
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I've mentioned this to Dan and several other collectors, and I'm not shy to say that the current trend has curbed my spending on the hobby quite a bit. And I don't feel it's because I'm "cheap" at all, it's because I know what I paid for some of my quality items 6 years ago and they look like bargain basement prices compared to today. I personally feel that the over the top UP trend or recovery is due in large part to the (over) exposure the hobby has received on a national level. (I don't care to get into the "pickers" controversy, that's not what Scott's post is about!)
I've still paid good prices for a few of my acquisitions in the last 2 or 3 years, but I'm paying good for items I know are rare and I may not have the opportunity to own again. These particular items may well be "bargains" today when we discuss this again in 6 or 8 years. My personal rule has always been to pay what I feel comfortable for an item, and hey, if I don't get it at that price, there will be another one someday. I don't need instant gratification to build an "impressive" collection overnight at whatever costs it takes, I'm going about it a bit smarter I think! smile
Above all, I collect this stuff because I love the history of it and I'm helping preserve some of the past for future generations. I strongly feel this genre will always have a collector's base regardless of the peaks and valleys, as the advertising we collect and the quality of it will never be seen again. There will always be value in quality.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #487466 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder if I need to raise prices for scale model service station models ................... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #487468 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes Ed by 1/16th!

eshaver #487472 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed,I don't know what you charge and it's really none of my business, but, I'd be willing to bet you will see your prices rise, especially with exposure in the European markets. I hope you do as your quality and authenticity are exceptional.

Sign prices-yep, the price of almost any original porcelain sign is way up. As the premium quality signs bring the LARGE bucks these days, every other level of quality rides on that coattail. Also, just as in my youth I would not have dreamed of owning a station wagon (woodies and Nomads excepted)much less a "post" example, now we see 4 door wagons bringing good money and being actively sought after. Why? Because the supply of desirable cars is drying up thus driving prices up. Remember, in both signs and cars, we are not talking about renewable resources. I'm sure I displease a lot of people with the prices of my admittedly sometimes marginal signs. But, they are original, nice ones are approaching astronomical prices, and they are getting more and more scarce. I'm certain that the market will rise to my price structure if it is on the high side presently. I'm betting on it. But, you know what? They don't eat anything, they store in a flat or narrow space and if they don't sell I can always rotate them through my display area. My "never sell anything" collector friends call me a mercenary. Maybe, but I'm still outperforming every one of my retirement plans.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I too have felt the changes in 2008-2011, and yes they have bounced back for sure. More and more coming out of big collections and good stuff too, bring good prices. Not beating the bush as much as before and seeing a whole lot less for sale off the cuff. Lots of stuff still out there, just seems to be higher priced. Prices for restoration have certainly gone up for the pump restorers and plating is out of control for sure along with paints.
I look back at all the stuff I had come in contact with and either sold or traded to get what I wanted, Big dollars it seems now. But we enjoy and get to have other items that we have to step up to. Not everyone can just buy and hold, certainly when you have to buy all to get some. The stuff is like us, we come and go.

Craig
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved