Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I asked this on a related thread but didn't get an answer.

I admit, I am a newbie to this hobby. Do you veterans think the prices will drop after 'pickers' type shows go off air? I realize it is not directly what this thread is about, but it is related I believe.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F40LM #487525 Fri Oct 25 2013 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good comments so far and I agree with all of them. And as far as the picker show. The show is a doubled edge sword you have to take the good with the bad. The show has brought our hobby to the forefront it seems. When the show goes away I think some of the would be pickers will to. This I believe will make some things come back to reality.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #487587 Sat Oct 26 2013 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
from what i can see and feedback from the older collectors that are local to me, a younger wave of collectors are here and very eager and computer savy and willing to travel to find this stuff

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky #487625 Sat Oct 26 2013 08:54 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
IMO, Best of the Best:

1- Are in possession of super-collectors. Item exchanged among other super collectors. These guys have so much money, they could careless to let an item
go for less than Market price (i.e. eBay 1-week auction)

2- Go for an AUCTION, hence higher prices. Proof: Matthews Auction --> last week!

So, yes, hobby is going strong because we have way too many collectors & few items left. The famous Rule of supply-and-Demand.

I know of 2 super-collectors here ... my-goodness, do they have good stuff. They are in their 70's & want real high_$$$ for their stuff . Their children are
well educated about the prices. So, I am sure their children will auction the stuff to get maximum $$$ for the items!

Now, back to hunting ...

Hen

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I think one of the main driving forces in todays market are guys that want a Man Cave. Alot of petro stuff is going to this market. Richard

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think the comments here are all good and informative to read. The supply and demand statement is especially correct because good pieces, and common ones too, are just not abundant anymore. More people are getting into the hobby everyday and there just aren't enough pieces to go around. The picker shows are not going away so get used to them. When Frank and Mike retire there will be other related shows to take their place, but this is not what the thread is about. Have fun collecting and just try and pick up what you like!

Last edited by scottpcm; Sun Oct 27 2013 06:58 AM.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: gatorgaspumps
I think one of the main driving forces in todays market are guys that want a Man Cave. Alot of petro stuff is going to this market. Richard

That is a valid point about the man cave increase.

Would it be fair say that the big rise in prices overall (not just since 2007) in last 20 years can be attributed to

1. Internet has greatly increased the pool of true collectors and lovers of these items. When on eBay you are competing against collectors world wild.
2. The popularity of the pickers type shows
3. The fact that number 2 has lead to an increase in folks wanting the items, it's not that Joe Smith really likes Texaco pumps he just really wants a cool looking gas pump like he has seen on TV or at his buddies man cave.

F40LM #487831 Sun Oct 27 2013 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One thing about the man caves and game rooms is the guys with them get boared with the stuff and sell it. I have got some pumps cheap from these guys.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a trend. Don't fool yourself into believing that prices cannot and will not go down(even on the pricier items). We saw it with jukeboxes in the early 1990's(especially the 40's Wurlitzers). People get bored with stuff and the trend shifts...prices decline. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
The current prices just make me realize how poor I really am.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The one thing that I see that is different with signs than most collectibles is that they are flat, easy to display. Not like juke box and soda machine that take up a lot of room or cars that have to be maintain. That is just my two cents.

Mattgas #487913 Sun Oct 27 2013 04:34 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
One more thing is that for every one globe or can buyer I have 25 or more sign buyers at least, if not more.

Mattgas #487924 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I buy what I like. Having said that I prefer signs to gas pumps they take up less room. However a good one can cost as much as a pump.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
JUNK KING #487925 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A Good sign can cost 10X what a nice pump cost! & 10-20+ signs can be stacked in the same space that 1 pump takes up.
As ya get older, it's easier to move signs around than pumps w/o Guts!

JUNK KING #487928 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All valid points. Jukeboxes do entertain and put on a show though while signs and pumps are generally fairly static.They also occupy space, are hard to move, and require electricity and maintenance and an owner that is mechanically inclined. You can't just "leave them alone". LOL Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved