Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#487429 Fri Oct 25 2013 10:25 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would have to say gas and oil collectibles, after taking a dive in 2007 price wise that is, are back at full strength and more. Can prices are way up with records being set everyday, pumps are going crazy, globes are all back and many way beyond that, signs are in orbit right now ...Need I say more! What amazes me are the asking prices and sometimes obtained prices of items in poor or fair condition. I guess this is all a good thing, to a point. The house of cards fell in 2007 because the over inflation caught up with itself and then several big buyers backed off and wham, the cards fell. I just hope prices don't get too carried away too quickly. When I see worn Gulf globes selling for $500-$700 that scares me! When I see rare signs beat to ***** and people getting big bucks that concerns me. But hey, it'll all come out in the wash at some point. Comments??? Scott B.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
scottpcm #487437 Fri Oct 25 2013 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I keep thinking there has to be another price correction coming down the pike because stuff has risen so fast the last year and a half? Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, it won't stop me from collecting the things I want, as long as I can afford them.
I think the person that would be affected the most if there was a price correction, would be the pickers that have a large inventory of average stuff.
I try to buy as nice of pieces as I can afford and I think that quality will always retain its value.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
scottpcm #487439 Fri Oct 25 2013 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is where we get the terms buyer and seller markets for sure.
All good hobby's have this up and down hill motion.

To name a few: Guns, Coins, Glassware, Sports Cards etc..
The list can go on and on but one thing is for sure, the super rare items will always have a larger calling than the normal items.
Prices and demand fluctuate all the time from people entering and leaving the hobby.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I had 6 pumps by 3 different owners offered to me last fall.
I told them no,I am not a buyer for any of them,but would tell others and don't want a dime if a deal is struck.
I contacted one seller with a buyer for his 2 pumps,who had recently contacted me.He told me they sold a few months ago.
I then contacted the other 2 sellers,and found out they sold their's earlier this year as well.
I didn't want their pumps last fall because they were priced way too high for me personally.
All 3 sellers told me they got their prices they quoted me last fall.
4 of the pumps were later flipped to new buyers as well.

I don't know if this was all a fluke in the hobby,but I was astonished to hear it all.
I still only buy what I want,and nothing else.

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Fri Oct 25 2013 12:35 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
This is where we get the terms buyer and seller markets for sure.
All good hobby's have this up and down hill motion.

To name a few: Guns, Coins, Glassware, Sports Cards etc..
The list can go on and on but one thing is for sure, the super rare items will always have a larger calling than the normal items.
Prices and demand fluctuate all the time from people entering and leaving the hobby.

In deed, a wise observation ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #487449 Fri Oct 25 2013 12:33 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I have to agree with all of the above statements. I collect what I can afford and save for what I can't. I hope it stays well but I too see a correction coming again also.

Thanks, Phil
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have this discussion at least once a week with a west coast collector. I think we have both come to the conclusion that the good stuff is not out there as much as it use to be. This leads to people spending big money on off condition items. Many of the high quality items are tucked away in collections. Most of the off condition items pop up on ebay and the buyers go crazy. Search through eaby and its even hard to find ORIGINAL items. Most of the stuff on there is not real. Eventually the off condition items will fall in price. I think the hobby is very strong especially for the economic condition this country is in. Only time will tell...........I buy what I like and try not to pay what I feel to be insane prices for common items.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I havn't followed this hobbie for years like some, but agree with Scott the prices of signage that is of poor quality is very concerning. A lens with a crack across it is just broke and doesn't hold any value to me personally. I just don't get it!

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Fri Oct 25 2013 01:34 PM. Reason: 2nd thought.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The high quality stuff is coming out from collections turning over and the low quality stuff that was left behind is being "reborn or found" to feed today's quick lust for the artwork or decorative style of the day. When a piece of particleboard with a vinyl sticker with a photo of a gas station stuck to it cost over $125.00 retail at TARGET it's EZ to sell or justify spending $200 or even $300 on a level 4 or 5 condition authentic porcelain or even tin sign. As a collector and base level ferret of signs in general I would say that in the last 3 years even the toasted junk I use to buy and sell for a $20 -$50 profit is long gone and being sold at the level we see all over. From Ebay to on line auctions. To get a true idea of real time values people need to get out there to the events where the good stuff is and see it in person. Strike up a conversation and be a good listener. There are truly some great people who will share there knowledge and maybe even a beer.

Last edited by Maxgas; Fri Oct 25 2013 02:07 PM.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Maxgas #487461 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott
This is a great topic! Thanks for posting it. I have enjoyed this one cause it hasn't been a fight about who is right and wrong.

This is what oldgas needs. Good quality discussions about what is happening.

Guess we will all ride the wave of collecting our stuff!!

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Maxgas #487465 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:31 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I've mentioned this to Dan and several other collectors, and I'm not shy to say that the current trend has curbed my spending on the hobby quite a bit. And I don't feel it's because I'm "cheap" at all, it's because I know what I paid for some of my quality items 6 years ago and they look like bargain basement prices compared to today. I personally feel that the over the top UP trend or recovery is due in large part to the (over) exposure the hobby has received on a national level. (I don't care to get into the "pickers" controversy, that's not what Scott's post is about!)
I've still paid good prices for a few of my acquisitions in the last 2 or 3 years, but I'm paying good for items I know are rare and I may not have the opportunity to own again. These particular items may well be "bargains" today when we discuss this again in 6 or 8 years. My personal rule has always been to pay what I feel comfortable for an item, and hey, if I don't get it at that price, there will be another one someday. I don't need instant gratification to build an "impressive" collection overnight at whatever costs it takes, I'm going about it a bit smarter I think! smile
Above all, I collect this stuff because I love the history of it and I'm helping preserve some of the past for future generations. I strongly feel this genre will always have a collector's base regardless of the peaks and valleys, as the advertising we collect and the quality of it will never be seen again. There will always be value in quality.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #487466 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder if I need to raise prices for scale model service station models ................... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #487468 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes Ed by 1/16th!

eshaver #487472 Fri Oct 25 2013 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed,I don't know what you charge and it's really none of my business, but, I'd be willing to bet you will see your prices rise, especially with exposure in the European markets. I hope you do as your quality and authenticity are exceptional.

Sign prices-yep, the price of almost any original porcelain sign is way up. As the premium quality signs bring the LARGE bucks these days, every other level of quality rides on that coattail. Also, just as in my youth I would not have dreamed of owning a station wagon (woodies and Nomads excepted)much less a "post" example, now we see 4 door wagons bringing good money and being actively sought after. Why? Because the supply of desirable cars is drying up thus driving prices up. Remember, in both signs and cars, we are not talking about renewable resources. I'm sure I displease a lot of people with the prices of my admittedly sometimes marginal signs. But, they are original, nice ones are approaching astronomical prices, and they are getting more and more scarce. I'm certain that the market will rise to my price structure if it is on the high side presently. I'm betting on it. But, you know what? They don't eat anything, they store in a flat or narrow space and if they don't sell I can always rotate them through my display area. My "never sell anything" collector friends call me a mercenary. Maybe, but I'm still outperforming every one of my retirement plans.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I too have felt the changes in 2008-2011, and yes they have bounced back for sure. More and more coming out of big collections and good stuff too, bring good prices. Not beating the bush as much as before and seeing a whole lot less for sale off the cuff. Lots of stuff still out there, just seems to be higher priced. Prices for restoration have certainly gone up for the pump restorers and plating is out of control for sure along with paints.
I look back at all the stuff I had come in contact with and either sold or traded to get what I wanted, Big dollars it seems now. But we enjoy and get to have other items that we have to step up to. Not everyone can just buy and hold, certainly when you have to buy all to get some. The stuff is like us, we come and go.

Craig
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I asked this on a related thread but didn't get an answer.

I admit, I am a newbie to this hobby. Do you veterans think the prices will drop after 'pickers' type shows go off air? I realize it is not directly what this thread is about, but it is related I believe.

F40LM #487525 Fri Oct 25 2013 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good comments so far and I agree with all of them. And as far as the picker show. The show is a doubled edge sword you have to take the good with the bad. The show has brought our hobby to the forefront it seems. When the show goes away I think some of the would be pickers will to. This I believe will make some things come back to reality.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #487587 Sat Oct 26 2013 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
from what i can see and feedback from the older collectors that are local to me, a younger wave of collectors are here and very eager and computer savy and willing to travel to find this stuff

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky #487625 Sat Oct 26 2013 08:54 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
IMO, Best of the Best:

1- Are in possession of super-collectors. Item exchanged among other super collectors. These guys have so much money, they could careless to let an item
go for less than Market price (i.e. eBay 1-week auction)

2- Go for an AUCTION, hence higher prices. Proof: Matthews Auction --> last week!

So, yes, hobby is going strong because we have way too many collectors & few items left. The famous Rule of supply-and-Demand.

I know of 2 super-collectors here ... my-goodness, do they have good stuff. They are in their 70's & want real high_$$$ for their stuff . Their children are
well educated about the prices. So, I am sure their children will auction the stuff to get maximum $$$ for the items!

Now, back to hunting ...

Hen

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I think one of the main driving forces in todays market are guys that want a Man Cave. Alot of petro stuff is going to this market. Richard

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think the comments here are all good and informative to read. The supply and demand statement is especially correct because good pieces, and common ones too, are just not abundant anymore. More people are getting into the hobby everyday and there just aren't enough pieces to go around. The picker shows are not going away so get used to them. When Frank and Mike retire there will be other related shows to take their place, but this is not what the thread is about. Have fun collecting and just try and pick up what you like!

Last edited by scottpcm; Sun Oct 27 2013 06:58 AM.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: gatorgaspumps
I think one of the main driving forces in todays market are guys that want a Man Cave. Alot of petro stuff is going to this market. Richard

That is a valid point about the man cave increase.

Would it be fair say that the big rise in prices overall (not just since 2007) in last 20 years can be attributed to

1. Internet has greatly increased the pool of true collectors and lovers of these items. When on eBay you are competing against collectors world wild.
2. The popularity of the pickers type shows
3. The fact that number 2 has lead to an increase in folks wanting the items, it's not that Joe Smith really likes Texaco pumps he just really wants a cool looking gas pump like he has seen on TV or at his buddies man cave.

F40LM #487831 Sun Oct 27 2013 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
One thing about the man caves and game rooms is the guys with them get boared with the stuff and sell it. I have got some pumps cheap from these guys.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a trend. Don't fool yourself into believing that prices cannot and will not go down(even on the pricier items). We saw it with jukeboxes in the early 1990's(especially the 40's Wurlitzers). People get bored with stuff and the trend shifts...prices decline. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
The current prices just make me realize how poor I really am.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The one thing that I see that is different with signs than most collectibles is that they are flat, easy to display. Not like juke box and soda machine that take up a lot of room or cars that have to be maintain. That is just my two cents.

Mattgas #487913 Sun Oct 27 2013 04:34 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
One more thing is that for every one globe or can buyer I have 25 or more sign buyers at least, if not more.

Mattgas #487924 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I buy what I like. Having said that I prefer signs to gas pumps they take up less room. However a good one can cost as much as a pump.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
JUNK KING #487925 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A Good sign can cost 10X what a nice pump cost! & 10-20+ signs can be stacked in the same space that 1 pump takes up.
As ya get older, it's easier to move signs around than pumps w/o Guts!

JUNK KING #487928 Sun Oct 27 2013 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All valid points. Jukeboxes do entertain and put on a show though while signs and pumps are generally fairly static.They also occupy space, are hard to move, and require electricity and maintenance and an owner that is mechanically inclined. You can't just "leave them alone". LOL Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My specialty is air meters. Older meters appeal to some collectors but since most don't remember them, plus they cannot be made to work because of the lack of parts, prices have not gone up very much. Many of these meters are just used for display purposes.

The most popular air meter ever (the Model 90 series ECO) have steadily increased in price, actually out pricing some older ECOs.

A real spike in price occurred recently when someone bid a restored 98 Pedestal ECO up to $6600.00. When this happened the prices being asked for used ones almost doubled, but as the weeks have gone by the asking prices have settled down to almost where they were for the past year. The two biggest reasons these meters have been popular is that many people remember them and they can be made to work.

The popularity of air meters will eventually be affected by the number of meters available.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #488039 Sun Oct 27 2013 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't been around long enough to remember, but it seems like the hobby is thriving!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems these days even the mention of a old gas pump or any gas and oil items say ,in a auction flyer or sale bill and it draws people from all over . I don't go to auctions much anymore as it seems items go for crazy prices and there seems to be no end in sight. It also always amazes me the crowd a estate auctions brings and the money that changes hands . IMO , I don't see it slowing up anytime soon.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
After doing restorations for over twenty years, I have seen an increase in appeal to all things automobilia. At a time when the government is being difficult, it's nice to be able to meet people who think alike and enjoy a common issue. Having something that you can put your hands on is much nicer than just hearing stories from the high rollers. This hobby is for every body no matter age or financial condition. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #488256 Mon Oct 28 2013 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like that explanation Paul!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anybody think the TV shows have anything to with the prices going up and up and up? And what are the prices going to do when all the older generation collections start going on the open market?

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MY wife said she's Burying this Stuff with me!

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
"MY wife said she's Burying this Stuff with me!"

With some of the treasures you have there will be grave robbers.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not if she throws me on top of it!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My wife said that if I can't sell all this stuff I am buying now, she is going to throw it in the hole with me, and that I can sell it where I am going.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #488463 Tue Oct 29 2013 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So Jack will that be a slag heap of hot red metal or brilliant clean air pumps that you'll be selling? smile

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

Hell, and they thought King Tuts tomb was a big find!! Wait until the future archaeologist get a hold of this find!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
The older generation collections have been hitting the market for 20 years and there is no where near enough items to satisfy the increasing demand. I remember many years ago three collections with over 1000 gas globes hit the market over a year period including a lot of signs, etc. The effect on the hobby? Nothing. And at that time the demand was not as strong as it is now. The TV shows increase awareness of our hobby but in my opinion do little in terms of pricing or forwarding our progress. They are riding on our wave, we are not riding on theirs. Scott B.

scottpcm #488483 Wed Oct 30 2013 05:39 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm not sure I understand the title of this posting but I do like the discussion. For those of you who have been in it for years, was the hobby ever gone? Heck, I would think that the few years after 2007 when it sounds like you could get things cheap would have been heaven to you guys. Well at least to the collectors. Not so much to the guys who like to sell and make money. I've only been in it for the last 18 months, so to me it's been a little crazy watching the rise in pricing. I would bet I could sell it all off right now and turn about a 40-50% profit. In 18 months that's one crazy investment. Of course that wont be happening.
It would be completely naive not to give a lot of the credit for the boom to the pickers show. There can be little doubt that this show has brought the hobby into the psyche of the American home in a way never seen before.
There is a new Chevy Impala commercial out. In it, you see a guy walking out of his sign filled garage to his new Impala. When he returns home he gets out of his car carrying a Chevrolet pump globe. All fantasy pieces to all of us but to America they dont know the difference. The point being that the hobby is represented in the commercial in such a way at all. Without pickers and other shows I doubt you would ever see such subject matter in a tv commercial.
And then last night my wife and I are watching X-factor and three guys are singing and the entire backdrop is a bunch of larger than life gas pumps stage props!
Again, without the pickers show I seriously doubt you would see such a thing.
As a new collector, not a seller, with only so much expendable income for such frivolous things as these, I'm not so much liking the sudden climb in prices. I buy to collect and to enjoy and I will more than likely never see any benefit from a rise in pricing. Now that I've discovered the hobby, I wish it would settle down so I could buy more. But I dont see that happening any time soon.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #488504 Wed Oct 30 2013 06:38 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Even with small amounts of money, there is plenty to find out there. The fun of collecting is the hunt, the display, and the fixing if you want. It all comes in degrees of what you can spend and like. Started out like everyone else with the either free or $25.00 item. Still have the original pump I found in the field, broken up in need of restoration. $50.00.
Yes I would like to afford great things, but I can't. Does not mean I will not find great things or be able to afford them at some point in my life. We have had a rise in prices no doubt, but have seen many pieces at shows, around the city, and other where things are still either free or cheap.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Wed Oct 30 2013 06:39 AM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Even with small amounts of money, there is plenty to find out there. The fun of collecting is the hunt, the display, and the fixing if you want. It all comes in degrees of what you can spend and like. Started out like everyone else with the either free or $25.00 item. Still have the original pump I found in the field, broken up in need of restoration. $50.00.
Yes I would like to afford great things, but I can't. Does not mean I will not find great things or be able to afford them at some point in my life. We have had a rise in prices no doubt, but have seen many pieces at shows, around the city, and other where things are still either free or cheap.

i love the hunt it keeps me trying harder to find more stuff the only problem is alot of people know me out of old gas and want what i buy every week i'm trying to put together a collection that i like on the weekends i get up around 4:00-5:00 am and hit the road there is stuff still out there trust me and just depends how bad you want it.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky #488552 Wed Oct 30 2013 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This stuff was not cheap in 2007 either. Maybe not as expensive as now but not cheap by any means.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

That's what she tells you!! She already accepted my offer and took a deposit from me, now she is just waiting for you to tip over!!! Then I am gonna flood the Market with 36b Tops!!! grin

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved